Found A Forty (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Congrats scott! Sad to hear you're selling your 62, but it seems you like switching cars often anyway :p

18-24 months is the most I can do before I get itching for something else.

I really love the 62 platform, so I'm going to take some time to find something to build what I want. So I guess that means I need an 80 too since I want a 142.

Flipper to those who can't do it, smart business man to those who can. There is a whole town full of flippers in lower Manhattan.

Scott, that looks AWESOME! But with the AT, will you get to drive it much?

@Izzyandsue No. I seem to be self-unemployed nowadays so I can sleep as long as, or wherever, I want. It's good to be the king.
I have this vision of you now, but back to Scott's Harem Garage....

Same wench I run now. So did my dad ... there was hardly a weekend in the 70's that his didn't get spooled out (there is a good chance it was hooked to @David1947 a time or two....
Wow! Must have been quite a gal.

So got to drive it for a while yesterday and after 30 minutes of driving (read engine warmed up), it started idling rough to the point where it almost shuts off. Repeated this morning with same effect.

A few searches turned up this could be vapor lock but mostly it was mentioned this tends to only happen in warmer weather.

Any thoughts? Is there an adjustment on the carb that will allow me to raise the warm engine idle speed? Carbs scare me, but if it's a screw that needs to be adjusted a couple of 1/8 turns, I can probably figure it out.

So got to drive it for a while yesterday and after 30 minutes of driving (read engine warmed up), it started idling rough to the point where it almost shuts off. Repeated this morning with same effect.

A few searches turned up this could be vapor lock but mostly it was mentioned this tends to only happen in warmer weather.

Any thoughts? Is there an adjustment on the carb that will allow me to raise the warm engine idle speed? Carbs scare me, but if it's a screw that needs to be adjusted a couple of 1/8 turns, I can probably figure it out.

Vapor lock is not impossible but not likely in this cool weather. Mechanical or electric fuel pump?

The only carb adjustment will be idle speed and idle mixture. Since you're going to want to rebuild the carb anyway go ahead and pull off the air cleaner so we can get a make and model number from it. Based on that you can order the correct rebuild kit. Don't worry, one of us can rebuild it with you. With the air cleaner off also take a pic of the distributor and coil, if there is one, so we can find out what type of ignition you have ... also a possible culprit for hot engine misbehavior.

Question ... did it only idle rough and smooth out with higher rpms?

Last edited:
Scott, let me know when u take the plunge. I got a gallon of carb dip that u can borrow for when you're ready to rebuild.

FYI I was able to do it following the pin head videos, took me a couple hrs a couple nights over beers. With some soaking in the dip over night in between.

It's not rocket science, but attention to detail and patience is required.

Cheers, can't wait to see this new toy, hopefully we will see it on the 27th.

@joyRidaz - I'm pretty good at following directions. But don't think I have much time to knock this out with everything else going on. Work, exam at the end of April so studying 20-30 hours a week, plus the new business eats up all time.

Check the choke first, make sure it is opening all the way.

I spent a ton of time trying to tune my carb initially and was getting frustrated, then finally realized it was due to a desmog-gone-wrong. Once it figured out which tube needed attention, it cured a huge vacuum leak then the tubing got much easier and more effective.

From my expeierence, big confusing problems sometimes are caused by something little that was overlooked. I racked my brain for weeks over a silly hose that was creating a huge vac leak.

The up side is that if the carb is an issue there are a plethora of aftermarket companies where you can get a new one. Same applies to all the parts for the motor, internal and external. This is as much a benefit from a swap as the power so far as I am concerned.

@Rice

Electronic fuel pump

Looks like a Quadrajet carb. Got a picture of the distributor.

Obviously I'm going to need to drive it and figure out, but is the electric pusher fan needed with this puller fan and shroud?

IMG_20170319_183551.jpg

IMG_20170319_183555.jpg

IMG_20170319_184758.jpg

IMG_20170319_184851.jpg

Anyone know what brake master and booster this is? They both are Toyota. Need to find time to take wheels off to look at the discs/calipers. I know the soft lines need replacing.

IMG_20170319_184725.jpg

IMG_20170319_184733.jpg

IMG_20170319_184737.jpg

IMG_20170319_184940.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom