1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

found a boat maybe

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by fj40crusher, Jul 14, 2005.

1. fj40crusher

fj40crusher

1996 bayliner 1702 ls, 17 ft. ,120 hp outboard. Clean little boat with trailer. It's a little cuddy cabin. Little on the small side but think it might work for playing around with the family.

Going to check it out tomorrow (hopefully), might be Saturday.

2. Capt. Jim

Capt. Jim

If it has a Force engine, don't buy it. Parts are no longer available. Many BL's came with Force engines.

Good luck.

3. fj40crusher

fj40crusher

Thanks for the tip. I'm waiting for my 20 questions to be answered via email before I even make the drive over. Engine type is one of them.

What other insight do you have on a fun family run around boat? I grew up on sailboats and ski nautiques, don't know much about all the rest. Some of my buddies are trying to talk me out of even buying a run around, they want me to get something bigger. They think the novelty of the run around will wear off quickly and I will regret the whole purchase.

4. Capt. Jim

Capt. Jim

I think it all depends on what you like to do on the water. If you fish, an open boat would be more desireable than one with a cabin, at least in the 17-25 foot range. If you like to ski, a more powerful engine may be needed. Also consider the number of people you want to bring with you, as well as the age of your kids, if applicable. ALso consider the type of waters you will be in. The less protected the waters, the larger boat you will need.

Since you are looking for more advice on this boat, Bayliners are generally considered to be a low quality/cheap boat. I don't know what makes are available out in the NW, but BL's are available everywhere and have some what of a "Reputation".

If the boat has any type of Saltwater use, and the engine is a '96, most of it's usable life is behind it. 9 years is old for an outboard, unless exceptional care and maintenance have been given to it.

Don't feel compelled to buy the first boat that catches your eye. Be sure to shop around.

Problems that you will encounter with boats of this age are usually rotten wood, in most cases, floors and transoms. Most of this wood is concealed and damage may not be readily visible. Watch for stress cracks where floors/bulkheads (walls) meet.

Let me know if I can further discourage you from buying ;)

5. Urrrk

Urrrk

Media:
    Albums:
    As have their owners. We refer to as having a "Bayliner Moment" when
    we do something foolish like getting the trailer all catty-whumpus on put
    in or take out, or leaving the fenders out over the rails all day, or any of
    those things that real boaters don't do. :rolleyes:

-Erik

6. fj40crusher

fj40crusher

OK, so the more I look around the more I don't like bayliner. From everything I have been reading over the last couple hours on the web, they are like a jeep! POS with a reputation.

I have a feeling I will be looking for a while. I need to real myself in, I don't want to buy on a whim. Maybe I'll up the budget to 20k or so and open the market up a bit.

7. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:

a few more boat tidbits:

*seldom used is not a positive attribute for a boat

*even boats that are covered and sitting in the back yard can be swamped if owner does not pull the plugs

*most custom wired boats are bad news

*buy used boats in areas where there are LOTS of boats for sale

*fishing boats are MUCH MUCH easier to resale

*find someone local that has owned more than one boat, see what he says

*women need toilets, I get away with making my wife pee in the wet well (i have two on the boat)

*raw water washdown is the shizit

8. Rugster

Rugster

Check out Boat Trader if you have it available.. It will give you comparison prices of different models avaible.. Check out boat dealers on trade ins...

20K will get you a nice one... get 20 ft. or better if possible.

There are good deals on little used 2 strokes that people traded up for 4 stroke..

A friend has a new boat with a Honda 225 FS that is a dog compared to my Yahama 225 two stroke.. wouldn't trade him !

9. Rugster

Rugster

Forgot to mention... A cabin will give you better protection from the wind and spray considering where you are located.. Open boats get COLD and WET early and late in the season..

10. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Supporting Vendor Moderator

Media:
    Albums:

Hey hey hey. Now that's not fair. I believe 95 and upward Force motors are fine motors and easy to work on for the price. These were the models that were built by Mercury. They have a force top end which is just an old design. Coupled to a Mercury bottom end. The bottom end is what gave force the bad name. Yes parts are rare kind of like FJ40 parts. But they are there. Best things about Force motors you mix the oil. No oil injector. Few parts.

Bad things owners, parts availabilty, and owners.

Speaking from experice. I have a 96 Force 90 that I have on my center console. It has never had a problem and I do all the maintanence myself. Problem with Force and Bayliner boats, which I have a Trophy made by Bayliner, is that most first time boat owners buy them because they are inexpensive. And usually don't know or care to take care of them. Any boat properly maintained will last a long time.

My motor is almost 10 yrs old now I troll with it every winter. It has never let me down.

My Trophy center console is the same age and doesn't have any problems. And I take it to the ocean to go shimping and fishing at least twice a year as well as use it for my pleasure boat during the summer on a Lake Jocassee.

[​IMG]

11. Capt. Jim

Capt. Jim

Hey Marshall. I was waiting for a reply such as yours. I just didn't think it would be someone I know. :eek:

You, my friend, are one of few exceptions who takes care of his boat. It dosen't matter what make of boat is out there, most owners have little patience to keep a boat well-maintained. I guess that's cuz you're a Cruiser owner.

I have never owned a Force, but many of my friends have. In the past 10 years, parts were difficult/impossible to get. At least here in Florida they were. I believe Hard40 had one. He sold his boat with a broken Force due to inavailabilty of replacement parts. There are no Force dealers/service shops in the Palm Beach area that I could find.

I agree that the affordabilty of BL's make them a prominent entry-level boat. Couple that with the inexperience one has as a new boater and the problem compounds itself. However, BL's fiberglass lay-up is much thinner, many laid-up with fiberglass chopper guns instead of roving. Inexpensive hardware also is used.

This is what helps keep their prices low making them an entry-level boat. I have seen many POS high-end boats, primarily due to owner neglect and inexperience. Size and quality of a boat should not be confused with superior boating knowledge. Some of the biggest a$$holes I run into on the water are in BIG expensive yachts. I call these turn-key boaters who only know two speeds: stop and full-throttle. Florida waters are full of 'em.

Enjoy your boat and continue to maintain it. Like your cruiser, you can make it last forever. My 14' aluminum boat is from 1948 and dosent look a day over 10.

Jim :cheers:

12. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    LOL.........one of my favorite pastimes is walking down to the boat launch and watching the new Bayliner owners launching for the 1st time............best cheap entertainment there is :D

The old owner of Bayliner has one of the coolest yachts I have ever seen, I got some pics someplace when he had it in the bay, i recall its like the largest fibreglass boat in the world.......or something like that.

13. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

I grew up around boats, and I would never even think of buying a bayliner. I know years ago they were considered to be the lowest quality boat on the market. The yugo of boats , if you will. They are cheap, and you can get a lot of boat for the money, but they don't seem to hold up very well. A friend of mine had one a few years back. It was a 5 year old boat and the interior was falling apart. Seats were all broken, sterndrive made aweful noises, none of the gauges worked, etc. I admit he didn't take very good care of it. But still a 5 yr old boat! And they seem to have very low resale value. Run, run away....

14. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    There is no such thing as a good deal on a Bayliner w/a Force outboard. Unless you like to punish yourself. If yer budget is 20k, then as mentioned you can find a great boat at that price. Also as mentioned take a boater safety class, talk to the instructors, go to the local Marinas and talk to the techs, there are plenty of great boat companies out there that are competitive and affordable.

As Capt Jim says figure out yer needs and uses first.

15. Rugster

Rugster

I have a friend with a VIP bass boat with a 125 Force... The damn thing keeps going and going... When Chrysler was the motor under the Force Cover you had problems more so than with the newer ones.. The Force with the cover off sounds like a box of rocks turning in a drum.. big time piston slap.. Might be that is why the thing never has seized up !

16. Trollhole

Media:
    Albums:
    Then the 6k I spent on mine 7 years ago wasn't a good deal? Funny I've beat the piss out of my boat in ocean, breakers, sandbars, mud flats, and in all the lake around my house for the past 7 years and never once had a problem. Of course I decarb, change sparkplugs and impeller every year. And this year I've rebuilt the fuel pump. Other than that nothing. And the boat. No rot, cracks, or harware failure. I guess I just got lucky. It's amazing how long a boat will last with proper maint.

You have gone from a 4k budget to a 20k budget really quick. Totally different class of boat.

Oh and I also own a 2004 16 ft Carolina skiff with Yamaha 4 stroke high thrust 25 on the back. You want to talk reliable?

17. Trollhole

Media:
    Albums:

You will like this site then.

http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=23

Do a search for user 4550 and you can see all my stupid human boating tricks.

18. fj40crusher

fj40crusher

Well, I am going back and forth. The responsible side of me wants to spend around 5-7k and get a little runaround. The 30 something midlife crisis holly s*** I am going to die anyday side of me wants to spend 20k and get a nice ass boat.

Responsible side will win, but I am still open to options.

19. Capt. Jim

Capt. Jim

YAMAHA = dependable.

I have 2 200HP HPDI's on my 25' Bluewater. And a 90 HP on my 17' Mako. Very dependable.

20. Rugster

Rugster

One thing not mentioned here is economics of scale... Bayliner is the BIGGEST boat builder in the world and can keep cost and prices down because of it's buying power and in-house manufacturing processes...

Yes.. it makes lots of boats for the entry level boater, but dollar for dollar, there are not many makers that can match them item for item and the more you spend the more you get..

Most people don't go off-shore with their boats so they don't need the build quality or price of Grady White for example..