Found a 40, what are your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sj

Threads
Talking to a guy about Landcruisers, he mentions he has a 40 he was going to get running. He said he might be willing to sell it. I went and looked at it. I think it would be fun to have, but this looks like a ton of work. He said it's a 72. I didn't get a picture of the VIN. He has a second tub for it. I'm worried he might be more of a project then I think. I think I can get it for around 1k. I thought I would post here before the 40 section.

IMG_20190807_185900.jpg
IMG_20190807_185839.jpg
IMG_20190807_185942.jpg
IMG_20190807_185909.jpg

IMG_20190807_190010.jpg

More
IMG_20190807_185813.jpg
IMG_20190807_185800.jpg
IMG_20190807_185826.jpg

Last one.
IMG_20190807_185735.jpg

Looks like it would be a fun project honestly! And doesn't look like the tub is in terrible shape. The rear sills look nice at least.

What concerns me the most is that there's no carburetor on it, and it doesn't look like there's been one on it for a while. I personally would take the intake manifold off and make sure there's no creatures or tons of dirt and debris.

I'd say if you can get it for $1k, take it. If you're not planning on using that other tub, I have a cruiser I'd love to use it on!

Definitely a project! Looks like it will need pretty much everything. Rear wheel wells look like they have been cut. If you end up passing, let me know - I'm looking for a 40 project as well.

Sounds like the price is right, depends on how much time you have, your restoration skills, and/or how deep your pockets are.

Looks like it could be a factory soft top. Check the inner rear corners for brackets that would hold the bows. Always wanted a FST project and will get there some day.

Sounds like the price is right, depends on how much time you have, your restoration skills, and/or how deep your pockets are.

Looks like it could be a factory soft top. Check the inner rear corners for brackets that would hold the bows. Always wanted a FST project and will get there some day.

Not FST model. Barn doors are a hard top past the early sixties in the US. Factory bows will bolt on without issue. Mid sixties to mid seventies could run either on both types. Wrong wiper on the windshield. With out looking closely can't tell if windshield frame was switch or just the wipers. Does look like it is a 72. Spare tub is a 72 or older.

They are all expensive in either time, money, energy and most often ALL of the above. That said, for $1000. probably well worth it. When was the last time you picked up ANY 40 for a grand???!!

BTW lovin the Sears hubs!! Right up there with Weatherbeater paint and Toughskins jeans that my brother and I wore as little tikes!!!! Classic

I haven't contacted the guy again. It's stuck in his yard behind a shipping container. I'll follow up soon.

If you decide to pass... just shoot me his phone number. :rofl:

Hey man you just got here! Leave some 40's for the rest of us :flipoff2:

Hey man you just got here! Leave some 40's for the rest of us :flipoff2:

I find this confusing. If I came from where Joel came from would be looking there for another FJ40. Variety of color options is amazing. As long as you want beige or possibly white your golden.

Come to think of it I remember seeing a couple of beige 40s lately. :hmm:

Last edited:
Not FST model. Barn doors are a hard top past the early sixties in the US. Factory bows will bolt on without issue. Mid sixties to mid seventies could run either on both types. Wrong wiper on the windshield. With out looking closely can't tell if windshield frame was switch or just the wipers. Does look like it is a 72. Spare tub is a 72 or older.

wrong hood latches for a '72

missing the air intake grill on the hood, too

wrong hood latches for a '72

missing the air intake grill on the hood, too

Not sure what hood latches your talking about. Hood looks correct for 72-74 models. 72 was the first year of the of the one piece hood and shorter louvers on the sides. Hood pads and hold downs for the windshield changed in 75 when the wipers moved to the bottom of the windshield. To clear the external wiper motor on the bottom the windshield hinges changed. Toyota changed the pad and hold down hooks at that time. Not sure of a hood intake. The center of the cowl had a vent. This has a aftermarket cover replacing the grill that was there. These were offered because that vent could leak when it rained if drain hoses were plugged or broke. In 74 with the new heater the vent was welded shut. 74 the drains still went thru the firewall like mid 65-73 when the vent was operational. 75/76 drains when thru the transmission cover. In non heater markets the vent remained operational well into the eighties. In markets with a factory heater the vent was deleted completely with the 77 model. The 69-74 pads for the windshield have been know to be mounted either direction but are correct for 72.

Any chance he has some of the missing parts? Carb, air cleaner, badges, seats, top? That "was gonna get running one day" comment made me wonder. It's definitely worth asking.

Even not as a project, the parts are probably worth more than the asking price. Go for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom