Forum Open or CLosed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

patride71 said:
so i saw it was open via chat.
i wanted to prowl around here and see what was up cause i hope to be part of LSLC this time next year if all works out with a move back home to TEXAS!

Take a look around and I think you will find a great group of folks, heck we had 3 new members at the meeting last thurs nite.
Butch

Texican said:
Take a look around and I think you will find a great group of folks, heck we had 3 new members at the meeting last thurs nite.
Butch
Any chance of a weekend meeting for us po bastads that have to drive half a day :D ? I swear I'm going to make down there for a meeting....or maybe BBQ and :beer:

Last edited:
Texican said:
Butch

that is good to know. i have met some great cruiserheads up here in IL, but not really much of an organized community. we just kind of see each other here and there sporadically. i am keeping my fingers crossed on the relo back down there.

:cheers:

Hey all. I'm finally able to get in here. I joined LSLC and TLCA when I joined ih8mud.com; however, I have never been able to get access. FWIW, I paid by credit card and kep waiting for word that my membership was approved or accepted or whatever. Glad the forum is open at last.

For those who don't know me, I'll say HELLO. I've been in Houston since 1990 and have been a cruiser owner since 1991. My first cruiser, a '76 is now in the loving care of Javier of Javier's Autos Unlimited up on Clay Road. He sure has made some serious mods to it in the last five or six years since he's had it.

I look forward to getting to know and hopefully meet some of you good folks. Till then, so long.

dieseldog said:
Hey all. I'm finally able to get in here. I joined LSLC and TLCA when I joined ih8mud.com; however, I have never been able to get access. FWIW, I paid by credit card and kep waiting for word that my membership was approved or accepted or whatever. Glad the forum is open at last.

For those who don't know me, I'll say HELLO. I've been in Houston since 1990 and have been a cruiser owner since 1991. My first cruiser, a '76 is now in the loving care of Javier of Javier's Autos Unlimited up on Clay Road. He sure has made some serious mods to it in the last five or six years since he's had it.

I look forward to getting to know and hopefully meet some of you good folks. Till then, so long.

WELCOME!

I was reading your thread in the 100's section on towing with a 100 series. Have you sold the Dodge and started towing with the LC? If so how's it working? If not what made you decide against it?

Look forward to meeting you.

You may have me mixed up with someone else. I have never owned a 100 series cruiser. I did post some in there though. I will never sell that Dodge as it is completely customized to my liking. I've put on everything that Gale Banks engineering makes for First Generation Dodge stinkies. It's got the intercooler, the small displacement Holset turbo housing and it's now wastegated so my boost is a whole lot better than stock for a 12valve unit. I've installed a Jacobs e-brake for more control when I am toying, etc. The truck has a GearVendors Under/Over drive so that I can split all my forward gears manually or, I can just leave it in "auto" and at 42mph the unit kicks in as an overdrive. I've put MagHyTec Pans on my TorqueFlite 727 and on the Dana 70 axle. They provide for more fluid and they are setup for mucho convenience. They have NPT threading for instrumentation, and they have drain plugs so that they need not be removed to empty and change the fluid. The diff now even has a dipstick for checking fluid level! I've got added instrumentation as well, including: (1) tachometer; (2) EGT--preturbo pyro; (3) boost pressure; and (4) tranny fluid temp calibrated in degrees F. The truck is an absolutely fantastic tow rig, and a great example of a simple, first generation Dodge Cummins.

I bought some Hummer H2 17" alloy rims on eBay and had them machined to fit over the Dana 70 full-floater hub and mated everthing to my truck with the use of Marlin Crawler 1.5inch 8 lub spacers. Then I mounted Michelin LTX tires and was good to go.

Behind this truck, I use a 16 foot low boy car haul trailer that I have extensively customized. I've replaced all the bed planking with pressure-treated lumber and used carriage bolts to bolt them down to the frame rather than using self-tapping screws like you see so often. I had a 24 volt Warn M12000 winch that I had purchased, along with the proper mounting plate from a military HMMWV. It looked to be perfect as a means of bringing "dead stick" vehicles up onto the trailer. With the help of the folks at Javier's Auto's Unlimited, we built a battery box, and mounted two batteries and, using the mounting plate, we affixed the winch solidly to the trailer. The way I have it set up, the batteries constantly charge using a solar trickle charger (12volt used in parallel), and then when I want to roll, I just hook up one wire and the batteries give me a series connection 24 volts. Because of the strength of the winch, I don't even have any need for straps at the front end. I merely strap from the rear and I'm good to go.

Another mod we did on the trailer is that it has fold down "outrigger" jacks (2000 lb ea.) at each rear corner and a fold down jack (5000 lb.) on the tongue. When I load or unload, I just drop the outriggers and I have an incredibly stable platform to use. In addition, if I have a flat tire, I don't need a seperate jack to change the tire. As a last mod, I have a receiver at the rear of the trailer and have a setup so that I can tow my M416 trailer behind the whole rig. I must confess that I'm mighty proud of the whole setup.

dieseldog said:
You may have me mixed up with someone else. I have never owned a 100 series cruiser. I did post some in there though. I will never sell that Dodge as it is completely customized to my liking. I've put on everything that Gale Banks engineering makes for First Generation Dodge stinkies. It's got the intercooler, the small displacement Holset turbo housing and it's now wastegated so my boost is a whole lot better than stock for a 12valve unit. I've installed a Jacobs e-brake for more control when I am toying, etc. The truck has a GearVendors Under/Over drive so that I can split all my forward gears manually or, I can just leave it in "auto" and at 42mph the unit kicks in as an overdrive. I've put MagHyTec Pans on my TorqueFlite 727 and on the Dana 70 axle. They provide for more fluid and they are setup for mucho convenience. They have NPT threading for instrumentation, and they have drain plugs so that they need not be removed to empty and change the fluid. The diff now even has a dipstick for checking fluid level! I've got added instrumentation as well, including: (1) tachometer; (2) EGT--preturbo pyro; (3) boost pressure; and (4) tranny fluid temp calibrated in degrees F. The truck is an absolutely fantastic tow rig, and a great example of a simple, first generation Dodge Cummins.

I bought some Hummer H2 17" alloy rims on eBay and had them machined to fit over the Dana 70 full-floater hub and mated everthing to my truck with the use of Marlin Crawler 1.5inch 8 lub spacers. Then I mounted Michelin LTX tires and was good to go.

Behind this truck, I use a 16 foot low boy car haul trailer that I have extensively customized. I've replaced all the bed planking with pressure-treated lumber and used carriage bolts to bolt them down to the frame rather than using self-tapping screws like you see so often. I had a 24 volt Warn M12000 winch that I had purchased, along with the proper mounting plate from a military HMMWV. It looked to be perfect as a means of bringing "dead stick" vehicles up onto the trailer. With the help of the folks at Javier's Auto's Unlimited, we built a battery box, and mounted two batteries and, using the mounting plate, we affixed the winch solidly to the trailer. The way I have it set up, the batteries constantly charge using a solar trickle charger (12volt used in parallel), and then when I want to roll, I just hook up one wire and the batteries give me a series connection 24 volts. Because of the strength of the winch, I don't even have any need for straps at the front end. I merely strap from the rear and I'm good to go.

Another mod we did on the trailer is that it has fold down "outrigger" jacks (2000 lb ea.) at each rear corner and a fold down jack (5000 lb.) on the tongue. When I load or unload, I just drop the outriggers and I have an incredibly stable platform to use. In addition, if I have a flat tire, I don't need a seperate jack to change the tire. As a last mod, I have a receiver at the rear of the trailer and have a setup so that I can tow my M416 trailer behind the whole rig. I must confess that I'm mighty proud of the whole setup.

dog,

You owe us pictures. Tow rig, Cruisers...start posting.

dieseldog said:

Sorry about the confusion - :doh:

I second Garth's pic request.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom