Fort fisher (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Was an overall fantastic trip. As soon as I left the beach things started going south. Brake booster went out. Had maybe 20-30% brakes at full pressure. Broke the lockout housing in 3 pieces in the parking lot pulling into a spot. And Lost a caliper bolt in the front on the way home. It’s been worse.

In reference I broke this part of a lockout hub. Locker was not on. Hubs were locked and center diff was on. Never have had a problem driving like that.
7C66FDA8-F6B6-4751-9D3E-0CDBEFCD329E.jpeg

Oh then chipped the windshield 10 minutes into the drive.
44A4A96E-A0CC-42BD-9D68-19790CD76861.jpeg

Was an overall fantastic trip. As soon as I left the beach things started going south. Brake booster went out. Had maybe 20-30% brakes at full pressure. Broke the lockout housing in 3 pieces in the parking lot pulling into a spot. And Lost a caliper bolt in the front on the way home. It’s been worse.

In reference I broke this part of a lockout hub. Locker was not on. Hubs were locked and center diff was on. Never have had a problem driving like that.
View attachment 1994376

Oh then chipped the windshield 10 minutes into the drive.

You were driving the 80 with the front hubs locked, and the CDL on, on pavement? Don't do that, that's why your lockout broke.

You were driving the 80 with the front hubs locked, and the CDL on, on pavement? Don't do that, that's why your lockout broke.
It shouldn’t of binded up and broke the actual silver part of the housing right? I understand breaking the outer part. But the inner assembly is solid. I’ve never seen a break like that before. Is it just that the metal is weaker then the drive flanges and that’s what broke or that something is seriously binding up. It stopped the truck it was under that much pressure

It shouldn’t of binded up and broke the actual silver part of the housing right? I understand breaking the outer part. But the inner assembly is solid. I’ve never seen a break like that before. Is it just that the metal is weaker then the drive flanges and that’s what broke or that something is seriously binding up. It stopped the truck it was under that much pressure

Sure it should have broken. You were driving the truck in 4wd HI on pavement with the CDL on. Turns specifically put a tremendous load on the drivetrain, as the wheels are not turning the same speed, but the wheels are locked together, meaning that load builds and builds until something breaks. Doing exactly that is how people blow up birfields on the street, transfer cases, lockout hubs, shear hub studs, etc.

For anyone else reading, never drive on pavement in a full-time 4WD truck with the CDL on. Furthermore, in part-time 4wd trucks, never drive on pavement with your hubs locked and the transfer case in 4wd. Something will blow up. It's not a question of if, it's when, and when is usually within a few minutes/miles.

EDIT: Consider yourself lucky that you only broke a lockout hub.

he come home with them the night before and show them to me, I told him to put them on the shelf but , no he went out installed them without telling me. but dipity is all wheel drive, so if the hubs were locked there should be no difference than the drive flanges which are always engaged. That is as long as the center diff isn't engaged within locked. Sometimes I think I'm talking to myself.

I'm guessing the outer axle shafts are a little bit longer on the 96 axles that we stuck in there as opposed to the older style and the lack of space for travel in there caused it to push too hard against the lockout causing it to break. You have to measure stuff you can't just bolt it on, cuz you think it might work.

Last edited:
That is as long as the center diff isn't engaged within locked.

Center diff being locked is the killer part.

If the axle shaft was too long, it would have rubbed on the inside of the selector dial, not blown out the silver portion. The bronze bushing on the inside of the spindle controls how far out the birfield can go.

he come home with them the night before and show them to me, I told him to put them on the shelf but , no he went out installed them without telling me. but dipity is all wheel drive, so if the hubs were locked there should be no difference than the drive flanges which are always engaged. That is as long as the center diff isn't engaged within locked. Sometimes I think I'm talking to myself.

I'm guessing the outer axle shafts are a little bit longer on the 96 axles that we stuck in there as opposed to the older style and the lack of space for travel in there caused it to push too hard against the lockout causing it to break. You have to measure stuff you can't just bolt it on, cuz you think it might work.

Exactly.... if those were mini truck hubs then they would work on the earlier shorter birfs an you could do a poor mans part time like we did on Logans truck way back when.

The correct one to use on the longer birf is the 105 hub I believe.

No bueno there

Doh!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom