Former FJ60 owner looking for FJ80 help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just sold my FJ60 and looking to replace it with an 80. Looking for some input on what to look for and what questions to ask during the process also what kind of price range.

Questions?
1) What is the difference between the 91-94 vs. the 95-97? Is it worth the difference in price?
2) Is it worth the addl price to get one with the factory locking diff.?
3) Leather vs. cloth? thoughts?
4) rust a big concern with the 80s?
5) mileage a concern?

This is honestly going to be a road cruiser at this point but I would like to use it off road in the future once I have more time. sold the 60 b/c as much as I loved it, I am spending too much time on the highway and want something easier to drive at 70mph for 3hrs to the beach but then something fun to use in the dunes when I get there.

thanks in advance for any suggestions you guys may have to offer.

-Murph' :cheers:

ps-was at jt outfitters (they are 15miles from my house) today and it was pretty cool to see their shop.

Ahh yes.

The main difference between the former and the later is the drivetrain. The later models offered a more powerful motor and (some say) a better transmission. There is bickering and fighting about which of the later year trannies is better.....but its really a moot point to most people.

The early models came with a factory CDL. Thats a locking center differential. Think of it as a locker in your transfer case. It splits the power between your front a rear axles evenly. The later(post 93) models also had factory axle lockers available. If you are going for beach....I would recommend you try to find one with them. It helps in sand.

I used to hate leather and was actually worried I wouldnt like my 80 with leather. I was wrong. Its so freekin comfy I sleep in there on road trips.

The upper tailgate hatch has been known to rust. Mines got a rust spot thats not all the way through.....yet. Other than that just like any vehicle.

Mileage is only a concern if you think the prior owner beat the crap out of it or maintained it poorly. Mines got 170000 on it and purs like a kitten.

Your welcome. :D

1) 1991-92 = 4.0 liter
1993-1994 = added a 4.5 liter, available lockers, better brakes, but no airbags
1995-1997 = added airbags, redesigned dash, different trans., OBD-II

There are other differences but those are the main ones.

2) Yes.
3) Have leather but would prefer cloth if I had the choice.
4) Only if it's rusty.
5) How much mileage? What kind of maintenance history?

Thanks for the input fellas...

MoJ, what did you think about that 94 FJ80 in St. Louis with 75,000.
They wanted $14,500 for it but would take $12,500 in cash.

How did it look? Would this be a decent price factoring in another 800 to ship it to North Carolina with DAS Autoshippers.

More than I wanted to spend but if that is the real deal, I could swing it.

Also, looking at a 91 with 143k with blue? cloth interior...was blue an option? may be grey but looks blue in the pics. Asking $5500 and $1000 to ship from Seattle. No roof, no locking diff. My thinking was that was the better deal b/c still have money left over to fix anything that was wrong with it.

Any thoughts from you guys?

thanks,
-Murph'

Too high.

murphy917 said:
Thanks for the input fellas...

MoJ, what did you think about that 94 FJ80 in St. Louis with 75,000.
They wanted $14,500 for it but would take $12,500 in cash.

-Murph'

Heh, $12,500. They were at $16,900 a few months ago. It looks very nice. I haven't driven it. I'd try to get them lower. KBB is 13.5k - if that means anything anymore. If you need any help with it let me know, it's 5 minutes away.

Last edited:
here is my 1987 FJ60 I sold yesterday.

Last edited:
As previously stated, the 91-92 has the 4.0L (3FE) motor. Mine will cruise happily at 80mph if there is not a headwind or an uphill grade. If there is a significant headwind or steep grade, it is a struggle to keep it at 60 in 4th. Usually it requires a downshift to 3rd, where the motor sounds less strained below 50mph. In the dirt, however, the 3FE does just fine--plenty of lugging power.
So...the long and the short of it is, buy a 93-97 FZJ80 with its greater power and better brakes if you need highway power.

Murph,

In question #2, you asked if the locking diff option "is worth it"? You were told "yes."

I strongly suggest you discretely look for an FZJ80 with the F&R diff locks and that you don't post here asking about each one you find. If a true bargain pops up, someone will grab it from you while you're asking us for our opinion. Do your homework, determine what price you can pay, and start looking for the best maintained vehicle with the options that you want.

Read the newbie guide on the Slee offroad web site.

Read the FAQ here on IH8MUD.

Good Luck!

-B-

Beautiful FJ60!

Thanks for all the input.

Beowulf...I understand what you're saying and I was only posting ones to get a general feel for what people thought was a good price. When it comes to cruisers, you can throw the NADA and KBB out the door b/c these are not truly sold based on "book value"

Honk...Thanks for the comment on my 60. Hated to sell her but need something that can serve better as a daily driver but yet run with the boys on the weekend.

Ended up finding a one owner, 95 FJ80 with 114,000, all options including the factory lockers and clean as a whistle (retired folks who kept it in the garage) for $8500.

I felt that was a fair value. It was even the color scheme I wanted.

Thanks for the help. Look forward to becoming a contributor to the board over the coming years.

Uwharrie...here I come...
Outer Banks...here I come...
Telico...well...a man has to know his limits....for now...ha!

peace,
-Murph'

Ahhhh - a nice red FJ60......

...had my red '85 FJ60 for 13 years. Bought it new in '85 for $14.5K and sold it in 1998 for $12K. That will never happen again. It was a one owner vehicle with 87,000 miles on the speedo, lift, brush bar, hi-lift jack, auburn LSD's front and rear, rock guards on the u-bolts, super clean, one owner.....damn thing went anywhere....

Now have a '97 40th model. Like day and night on the highway and for daily driver. Still super capable - perhaps more so than the 60.

I miss the old 60 sometimes, but they just can't compare to an 80.

murphy917 said:
Asking $5500 and $1000 to ship from Seattle. No roof, no locking diff.

Any thoughts from you guys?

Murph,
Glad you passed on this one. Seems too expensive for a truck without a roof.

Welcome to the 80 board. :flipoff2:

Steve

murphy917 said:
Ended up finding a one owner, 95 FJ80 with 114,000, all options including the factory lockers and clean as a whistle (retired folks who kept it in the garage) for $8500.

Nice find. Welcome to the 80 section here on 'Mud and welcome to 80's ownership.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom