Forest Closures in Tonto & Coconino starting Wed May 23 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stepmurr

Lookin' fer the end of that old white line
SILVER Star
Threads
Thanks Steve, this came up at the expo. We camped south of Lake Mary. It is very dry in that area.

Thanks for posting this, I camped on Mt. Elden on Thursday night, it was beautiful but dry. I am happy to report I didn't see any camper with a fire. Winds are expected to be above 30mph in some areas Tonto Forest and Coconino forest this weekend.

Zona

Tonto closure maps-

Closure exhibit A.jpg
Closure exhibit B.jpg

Haven't found any news yet, but this just started after I loaded in Hanover New Mexico this morning (intersection is where we turn left to Hanover). Talking to other drivers I just got out before the road closures.
NCM_0387.JPG

Monday there was a fire on I-17 just north of Table Mesa road exit between the north and south bound lanes. Lucky for us it was up against the south bound lanes. It was restricted to just the slow lane. North bound had no restriction yet. Heard later south bound was backed up for eight miles for while. Both ways we're closed down for a short while. Started in a location with a guardrail so probably caused by a tossed cigarette.

Drive around yesterday and viewed the burned buildings from the Tinder Fire. Today drove the open roads on the south side of the fire and veiwed from Moqui Lockout. Plenty of Forest Service personal in the area. Think a big part of what they were doing was telling people tomorrow morning the area was closed. Seen a few motor homes hauling trailer with UTVs on them leaving the area.

https://firerestrictions.us/az/

Stateside info on restrictions and closures can be found here. Who wants to camp on our back lot this weekend? If it wasn’t so damn hot I probably would do it. We have nice views.

Az State Land restrictions- This map is a little confusing, basically the solid light blue areas are Az State lands, and they are under the restrictions noted by the colored hash areas, see the key.

State fire restrictions.JPG

Looks like WMAT is closing down much of the east side of the reservation adjacent to Apache Sitgreaves NF.

Crazy, I was just told there are only 2 Coronado FS rangers assigned to police their whole district.

Crazy, I was just told there are only 2 Coronado FS rangers assigned to police their whole district.

Because of the Tinder fire the area is loaded with forest service personal. Few hot shot crews still here waiting for the next assignment. I know even propane firerings are questionable for Coconino County even on private property. Strong winds for the last couple days and lack of any snow pack or spring rains the area is primed for the next fire.

Rumor is that the entire Coconino and Kaibab, plus large swaths of Prescott NF's will shut down this week. All state trust lands are already closed. Areas around Crown King are included. [Possibly affecting @Abigail 's ROTM(?)]

Rumor is that the entire Coconino and Kaibab, plus large swaths of Prescott NF's will shut down this week. All state trust lands are already closed. Areas around Crown King are included. [Possibly affecting @Abigail 's ROTM(?)]

Thanks for the info. Will monitor and adjust as necessary.

Of the thirty-three homes lost in the Tinder fire six were primary residences. Some of the homes were either uninsured or under insured. It was mentioned that some homes that were insured didn't cover forest fires. Just to be sure call our agent who had to check to see if we were covered. Called back and said we were covered for forest fires but only because our policy was written in 2002. TheyThe longer cover forest fires but we are grandfathered in with our old policy. Anyone who lives in a area that could be effected by a wild fire might want to check to see what it covered and what is not. Just assumed we were cover but if the policy written today we wouldn't be. Guessing a special policy would be needed like flood insurance but didn't ask.

As you may or may not know, the Tonto National Forest implemented Stage II Fire Restrictions on April 16, 2018. Please keep in mind that Stage II Fire Restrictions are still in effect for the Tonto National Forest, including campgrounds:

I wanted to share the video below with you. It was produced by our Forest Service Fire Prevention Team. Please share and distribute widely the attached information above and video link below.

Stage II Restrictions Video

The Tonto also implemented partial Forest Closure on May 23, 2018. When looking at Closure Order Exhibit A Four Peaks above, refer to Exhibit A on page 2 of the Forest Closure Order above. When looking at Closure Order Exhibit B Payson above, refer to Exhibit B on page 2 of the Forest Closure Order above.

Thank you for continuing to maintain high situational awareness this fire season and for remaining vigilant about fire prevention. Best regards, Gary

image001.gif

Gary Roberts

North Zone Fire Prevention Officer

Payson and Pleasant Valley Ranger Districts

870,000 Acres

garyroberts@fs.fed.us

1009 E. Hwy. 260

Payson, Arizona 85541

www.fs.fed.us

Tonto National Forest

USDA Forest Service

Caring for the land and serving people.