Foreign Vintage Diesel Cruiser's.......Need Answers!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone enlighten me as to why it is difficult to import Foreign land cruisers from the 70's. A friend of mine in Costa Rica has a beautiful, mint condition, diesel, 1976-78 BJ40 or 45, i'm not sure which. I want to buy it (for a very low cost) and bring it here to the USA, but i've been told it is next to impossible, but no specific reasons as to why. I have been told that is not realy legal to import it. Here are my questions.

1.Why is it not legal, specificaly?

2. Are there any loopholes to get it here?

3. What would have to be done as far as modifications to the vehical to alow it to be driven on American soil.

4. What does it cost to import such a vehical, all legalities set aside?

5. What is a BJ40 or 45 worth in the USA if it has been kept in "perfect" condition.

6. Is it even worth it?

I would greatlly appreciate any info on this topic.

Thanks

I've heard that Costa Rica has a vehicle EXPORT tax. I don't know how true that is or if it's hearsay or not though. I plan on exporting the LV north if and when we head back to Canada for good.

lowenbrau said:
Oh, also, try not to use the word 'vintage' here. Some asshat kinda spoiled that word for the Cruiser community and some folks get kinda wound up when they hear the word.

Would be kinda funny if it were him...

"vintage".....got it....my appoligies.

Poser.....relax... i'm not "him" whoever he is! I'm doing some research on importing my own 1978 BJ40. What's with the chip on your shoulder?

Yes...Costa Rica does have an export tax, but I have not yet found out what it is based on.

A 1978 is admissable for the EPA yet must be on the NHTSA "eligibility list", correct? I have seen the approved list of LC's and none older than 1980 is on it and no model numbers are indicated on which ones are. Strange??

It still boils down to what govt. administration's office makes the call and who or what govt. administrations guidelines are being used. That is what i'm trying to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom