Ford extended shock tower questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i beat on it w/ a BFH for a while:bang:

they fit fine:clap:

Where are you planning on getting those towers, I'm thinking of doing the same thing. And do you know what diameter the ford stud is? I'm running into limited availability with the 19mm lower front studs on the 60 and it looks like I'll have to tack some new hangers to the axle.

What shocks are you going with?

@kevin
How much beating did you have to do? Less than an 1 1/4"

@caserique
You should be able to run any diameter pin through it, with modifications. I guess if I ever get that far I'll measure the distance and work from there. Hey kevin what shocks did you put in your ford towers?

If you have a body lift you don't really have to beat at all.

Why beat the S#*t out of your cruisers? Body lift or do like I did do a nice cut of the sheet metal and wrap with protective rubber mat if you need to. See my Mojave build thread. Then you can run Bilstien 5125's.

I massaged the inner fenders on my 60. I went with the cut a hole route with my Mini and I've regretted it ever since. On the 60 I fit 8" stroke Fox remote reservoir shocks mounted to the axle Mini style, to the top of the axle tube as close to the knuckle as I could get them, and still fit the Ford towers under the inner fender liners. Massaging the inners was a chance to learn how to move sheet metal around. Mine look a bit like a bag of walnuts, but they're not bad.

I massaged the inner fenders on my 60. I went with the cut a hole route with my Mini and I've regretted it ever since. On the 60 I fit 8" stroke Fox remote reservoir shocks mounted to the axle Mini style, to the top of the axle tube as close to the knuckle as I could get them, and still fit the Ford towers under the inner fender liners. Massaging the inners was a chance to learn how to move sheet metal around. Mine look a bit like a bag of walnuts, but they're not bad.

Is there an advantage to making the lower mount on top of the axle as opposed to behind it? My mount is behind the axle and I could move it, but it seems like I can get more shock travel that way.

ntsqd: On the 60 I fit 8" stroke Fox remote reservoir shocks mounted to the axle...

I want to go the fox 2.0 route too as they served me well on my '06 Cummins but I'm worried about getting the stud diameters right on the 60 before I order the parts. Should I get a hold of the towers first and run all my other shock mounts the same as that? And what diamater is that anyway? Valving? Happy with them for the $?

Thanks

Advantage of mounting to the "Mini" location is that it is closer to the wheel, so the shock has less leverage (AKA "Motion Ratio") acting against it so tuning the valve stack should be slightly more linear than the stock location.

Valving is whatever Mirage Racing suggested as a starting point. It's written on the shock body, but I don't recall it well enough to repeat. I bought the shocks used off of the rear of a chase/pre-run truck.

Most all of the mono-tube shocks use a 1/2" bolt through an SRE at both ends, unless they have a urethane bushing in the eyelets. Then you can swap the bushing to match whatever stud you're mounting them on. Energy Suspension makes the bushings in 3/4" (~19mm) ID and, I think, 5/8" (~16mm) ID.

I deemed 8" stroke to be enough based on calcs and crossing up the OME's as much as possible in my driveway. Ultimate articulation isn't my goal.

Thanks, ntsqd-- that bushing/stud question had me perplexed. I didn't want to be limited to OEM style shocks but I'm not in the position to replace all 8 shock mounts this time around.

I should point out that my mounting position hasn't really been tried out too much. I don't know how well it's going to work. Shortly after putting those shocks there I pulled the engine to start the TPI 5.7L swap.
If someone decides to copy this position they should know that they're heading into relatively untried territory (AFAIK).

Can the ford tower be notched and bent such that it clears the inner fender well? Or does that create other interference problems (such as hitting tire)?

Ford Tower Notching

I can tell you notching the tower forward toward the wheel may work but be cautious. I used stock position and can still hit the shock body with the wheels unless travel is limited. Also depends on suspension and travel. You also get some funky shock angles as you move outward. :cheers:
IMG_0347.jpg
IMG_0344.jpg
IMG_0394.jpg

@kevin
How much beating did you have to do? Less than an 1 1/4"

Hey kevin what shocks did you put in your ford towers?

about ten minutes worth :) yeah, less than 1 1/4", just enuf to get it flush against the frame

i am using procomp es9000...good price, nice ride

i think that using my biceps for a short period of time has got to easier than a body lift...but you've already got that done, you may be good already.

I just did a little measurement of my flex and found my stock shock mounts were pretty sufficient for the amount of travel in my springs.

Is the major reasoning behind the higher front mounts that you're:

1. Compensating for new lower front mounts (on the axle)?

2. That you're running longer travel springs (mine are 2.5" lift) so you need more travel?

3. Or did I just measure wrong and is 9" of travel not sufficient for a 2.5 SUA lift?

Oh and I already know they look cooler, I get that one;)

Old thread revival ..

For those running ford chock towers .. I'm panning to cut them the inclined part ( where the holes for the bolts to the frame are ) to I have less interference shock / tire ..

If you cut that part and leave only the flat part of the tower, it can be flat and in the same line of the frame, less mods to the innner fender, smaller shock ( my lower mount will be in the axle so plenty shock still ) and more clearance when flexing ..

How it sound ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom