Ford Ford 300 cid 6 cylinder engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the motor in my old f150(300 I6) went 420,000 before it started to puff a little smoke,gave up the ghost at 460,000+ on its 3rd owner

i looked for a long time for a decent bronco with a 300 and 5spd,then settled on a bronco(OJ special)5.8 auto

The 300ci w/1bbl carb in my '83 Bronco had been rebuilt at least once before I bought the truck in '89. I rebuilt it again after the carb washed the rings out. When it happened again, I tossed it, and dropped in a factory-sealed 4.9L (same engine, but EFI) from a '95 F150 (the 4.9L wasn't offered in '94-96 Broncos) with somewhere in the vicinity of 80Kmi on it. I drove it that way for ~25 years (including a rollover, requiring replacing the body) until the 2nd body started ripping apart at the spot welds (due to all the wrecks & off-roading). It's now in its 3rd chassis (a '93 Bronco, originally 5.8L) and has somewhere in the vicinity of 800Kmi without a rebuild. The deepest I've gone into it is new pan, valve cover, & side cover gaskets. Most Broncos weigh 4000-5200 lbs (rolling down the road). Mine weighs 6000 on certified scales, and the old 6 will still push it over 100mph for as long as I leave the cruise set there.

Yes, the 4.9L is a helluvan engine.

Years ago I worked at a courier company. We bought a lot of 300 powered vans. You want fuel injection. They will occasionally shed a timing gear or a distributor gear pin. We sold them at around 300-325,000 miles and none ever had a head off them

Great motor had one in 88 f150 always like the in line 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom