"Forbidden Mountain" - Coquitlam, Feb. 11, 2006 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
bcfishingreports.com
Today turned out to be a great day in the lush BC wilderness, as members of the Coastal Cruisers gathered at De Dutch Pannekoek House for some breakfast and morning banter prior to hitting the trails. There was abundant sunshine with not a hint of cloud in the sky. Spirits were high as the food was tasty, the restaurant "scenery" interesting, and the company was good.

Present were: Driver (Passenger)
1) Allstone (Joe, Coco) - BJ74.
2) Greg (nephew) - BJ74.
3) Petra (Scout) - HJ61.
4) Martin (Garry T.) - BJ40.
5) Ken (?) (Steve) - V8J40.
6) Clarence (Jody?) - HDJ81.
7) Craig (Angie, Matte, Emma) - FZJ80.
8) Brad R. (Sarah) - BJ42.

Eagle_Ridge_Feb_11_2006_033.sized.jpg

The few minutes' drive up the hill to the trail head only served to heighten our anticipation of what lay ahead, as many of us have never driven this trail before. Rumor had it that the entrance to the trail (bypass) was the most challenging part of the run, as one had to deal with mud and tightly spaced trees and rocks in order to get to the trail. This certainly was challenging, as this time of the year often means a lot of moisture, and the mud was thick and sticky. Garry T. served as one of our trail guides as he had been through this trail numerous times...and he guided us safely through the maze.

Clarence and his HDJ81 up the muddy hill.
IMG_0110.sized.jpg

Petra concentrating on which line to point her HJ61 to.
Eagle_Ridge_Feb_11_2006_006.sized.jpg

Craig's FZJ80.
Eagle_Ridge_Feb_11_2006_013.sized.jpg

Some Cruisers with open diffs needed a tug through the mud, and Craig zipped up and down the line offering what assistance he could with his ultra capable FZJ80. Brad R. in his open diffed 40 breezed through most of the obstacles as if he barely noticed them. With a little more height, his driving skills would make his truck unstoppable. Martin's mint BJ40 didn't even sustain a scratch from his careful driving and excellent line choices. Greg and Petra took a hard muddy line through the trees and needed a couple of "sandbags" on the front bushbar to provide some extra weight and gain some traction to the front tires. :) Funniest part of my day was when I ate a tree root and bent my passenger side running board (again), and the passenger door couldn't open. So Steve and his friend and I jumped on the running board to bend it back down, and it ended up looking straighter than before I ate the tree root in the first place.

Greg B.'s BJ74 eating some mud.
Eagle_Ridge_Feb_11_2006_015.sized.jpg

Clarence's HDJ81 in the woods.
Eagle_Ridge_Feb_11_2006_019.sized.jpg

Clarence and Craig giving Petra a hand.
Eagle_Ridge_Feb_11_2006_026.sized.jpg

"I thought you had your Swampers on, Greg?"
Eagle_Ridge_Feb_11_2006_032.sized.jpg

After the bypass through the trees, we encountered a couple of boulder fields. Within one of these boulder fields was a particularly interesting rock ledge. This was a great opportunity for some of the newer wheelers to have their chance at picking lines. Unfortunately, Ken (I hope I remember his name right...owner of the red V8J40, friend of Steve's) twisted and bent his rear driveshaft picking a particularly hard line up this rock ledge, and we reluctantly had to leave them there to unbolt his rear driveshaft and limp home in front wheel drive. I hope they made it down okay.

The infamous Rock Ledge with about a 2' drop. Note the colourful paintjob.
IMG_0186.sized.jpg

Martin making it look easy.
IMG_0190.sized.jpg

Stone's turn through the ledge.
IMG_0193.sized.jpg

Trail casualty...bummer.
Eagle_Ridge_Feb_11_2006_043.sized.jpg

There was not too much up top after the boulder fields, but we did encounter snow. Near the top we encountered a bunch of vehicles from the local forum, BC4x4, on their way down. The trail turned into a big parking lot as Coastal Cruisers rigs backed down the snowy trail in search of a place to turn off and let the other trucks through. After backing down a ways on the trail and finally hitting a branch to let the other trucks through, we decided to turn around and go back down the trail. Most of the interesting stuff was near the trail head anyway.

Petra's "oops"...she was trying to match my rear bumper.
Eagle_Ridge_Feb_11_2006_009.sized.jpg

Coming back through the trees and mud proved more interesting the second time around, as our previous attempts and other people's passage through here has cut some deep ruts into the trail, exposing roots, stumps and rocks. Several people needed a tug or winching, and I almost lost the hat off of my snorkel to a tree (again :rolleyes:). Going through the slick muddy hillside after the trees proved almost costly to me as a moment's carelessness almost flipped my BJ74 on its side. I didn't see a deep rut and both my left tires fell into it, momentarily lifting my two right wheels...but it didn't flip. Gave Joe a good scare though. :D

Craig's ultra-capable FZJ80 eating up the mud.
IMG_0125.sized.jpg

Brad R. Open diffs + good driving skills = No Problem.
Eagle_Ridge_Feb_11_2006_011.sized.jpg

We met some good people on the trail today with a variety of offroad vehicles. One second generation 4runner broke a passenger side Birfield that needed to be taken out on the trail. We had some sustenance to eat, chatted a little, and reflected on the great time that we had on the trail today.

I hope I haven't forgotten anyone...and I'm pretty sure that I got Steve's friend's name wrong. Please just correct me on that, Steve...and I'll edit the article. Thanks to all that showed up on this trail ride...it was a lot of fun. Hope to do another one in the near future.

My copilot...Coco.
IMG_0133.sized.jpg

:beer:

[size=-1]Photo Credits: Stone and Joe.[/size]

Last edited:
Awesome Trip report Stone... thanks for the great day!!!

great trip. I would love to go on one of those with you guys. I will have to try this summer to come down for the north..

This was an awsome trip I'm so glad I showed up to this rather than the normal sunrise run A blast was had by all. My copilot Sarah had a blast especially since this was only her second time in the dirt with any trucks, let alone a bunch of crazy toyota landcruiser owners now she wants to know where we are going next weekend lol, what have I started.

Oh and Al I own a BJ42 not a gasser

Hi Brad:

Sorry about that...article editted. :)

Looks like I did something more to my cheap tires than I thought. Washed off all the caked up mud from the chassis and tires, but I still have a steering wheel wobble between 60-80 kmh. I also have a large thin crack on one of my sidewalls. No play on the front wheels when up in the air, they turn smoothly, and there's no leaking from the knuckles. None of my steering rods look like they were hit either. I'm on my way to Abbsry to see if there's any internal damage to my front tires. Wish me luck. :D

Stone

How did your hat on the snorkel fair?
Took the truck to "guys car/truck wash" in aldergrove. she's all nice and clean again, and now I suppose I am in the market for a new bumper. Hopefully ARB will be coming out with something soon. Sliders are coming sometime this week or the next....

Thanks for the awesome time, Coastal Cruisers ROCK!!!!:beer:

Too bad the snow turned you back. The views would have been fantastic from both the east and west viewpoints with Saturdays good weather. Told you'd like it Stone.

ham

hamberger said:
Too bad the snow turned you back. The views would have been fantastic from both the east and west viewpoints with Saturdays good weather. Told you'd like it Stone. ham

Just another reason to go back when the snow clears:D

We had to back up to let a group down (backed up to the offshoot that goes to the east look out?) and they mentioned one vehicle locked at both ends was at or near the top, but had great difficulty...

Discretion ruled, and we decided to make our way to the bottom, and have a snack there. Timing was appropriate, as a number had adventures getting back out, per Petra's yahoo photo link. This allowed a quick visit at the bottom. I got back home at 17:50, which was perfect.

gb

Ham: Wish you could have been there! You're right...interesting little trail. I'd like to go back and see the viewpoint sometime.

Petra: Surprisingly, the Donaldson pre-filter on top of my snorkel didn't sustain too much damage from being dragged alongside of an obstinate tree. :D I just forced it back down the snorkel body (it was pushed loose), and bent the metal bolt that goes through the middle of the body, and it was fine. The acrylic didn't even crack during the whole process.

Update on my wobble:

Looks like I nailed something big pretty hard on the trail. One of my OEM 16x6.5" steel wheels got tweaked pretty good. When it was on the balancer, you could see it dancing around as it was spinning. Now I owe Greg another OEM wheel (thanks for the rescue once again!). Aftert the tire was put on the new wheel and balanced, the wobble was gone.

:beer:

cgiesbrecht said:
Hey all,
Thoughts for a next trip... Sumas Mnt? Chilliwack Lake area? Squamish way? When are we going? Friends of mine from church want to come.

All the best,

cg
LOL!!
sounds like someone is addicted!
;^)
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom