For those who've changed thermostats... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What temperature did you go with?

What came stock in an '84 FJ60?

It's getting to be colder here, and my thermostat is probably stuck open. The temp guage never goes anywhere, and I'd like some heat. I've read the threads about buying both upper and lower gaskets, but wanted to know what you guys use.

Thanks,
Bruiser

FJBen said:
I would just run the stock thermostat.

replace the gaskets.

replace the upper radiator hose while you are at it.

Yep, have to agree. You might consider replacing all the hoses since you will have to drain the fluid anyway, check them and make sure they are not all swollen and rotten.

stinkyfj60 said:
Yep, have to agree. You might consider replacing all the hoses since you will have to drain the fluid anyway, check them and make sure they are not all swollen and rotten.

Ditto all this, and I just went with whatever thermostat Cruiser Dan sent me. With CDan parts, I don't ask, I just trust. Temp has stayed right where I want it for nearly a year, in everything from 10 below to 110 above with the A/C blasting, so whatever thermostat I got, it's the right one.

Also, soak the bolts on the housing with PB blaster or WD 40 for a couple days before you start. If you break one, you'll be adding a whole other level of difficulty to what should be an easy job. You can guess how I know.

Stock is 190?F...best at smog test time if applicable. I put a 180?F tstat in can't tell any difference, but I live in a mild climate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom