? For those who own more than 1 FZJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mehbohdi

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a 1995 80, I have opportunity to buy a 1997 for a parts rig, decent condition bad engine. My question is, for a parts rig should I stick with a 95 cause I own a 95 or get the 97? My experience in the past has been get same year and model. I know there is minor differences but everything should swap if I needed it, correct or not? And thanks for you input, let the opinions begin. :flipoff2:

Off the top of my head, there may be differences with the OBD stuff and the air flow sensor but by and large I believe they are identical.

95-97 are pretty much the same.

^^^ I have lots of space and some of it even dry :flipoff2:

I have two '97 80s ... one and LX and one a Cruiser, patiently looking for a 3rd and I don't think I would stray from the 95-97 range just so they will all be very similar. If things worked out perfectly it will be another '97.

Last edited:
They are the same.

Beyond that, up to you if want to ferry over a dead 80 or just buy parts as needed.

They are the same.

Beyond that, up to you if want to ferry over a dead 80 or just buy parts as needed.

This. ^ . I've found a few good websites (camelback toyota) to buy new OEM parts at 20-25 % off when the occasional replacement is needed. However, having a dedicated parts 80 would be ideal if I had the storage and knew I would be using lots of parts that were still in good used condition. OP, I say go for it and report back if you find things that don't work as a direct replacement!

I gotta be honest- 3 80’s later & now having purged down to 3 cars (2 runners, 1 project) - and the boat & trailer (I’m not married) — still alot IMO.

—-I’ll pay @arcteryx whatever the premium for a NLA / body part or Oner for anything else, just so I don’t have to look at dead rigs in the yard. I’m waaaaay over it.

I gotta be honest- 3 80’s later & now having purged down to 3 cars (2 runners, 1 project) - and the boat & trailer (I’m not married) — still alot IMO.

—-I’ll pay @arcteryx whatever the premium for a NLA / body part or Oner for anything else, just so I don’t have to look at dead rigs in the yard. I’m waaaaay over it.

Rookie move. I aspire to have my own cruiser boneyard.

And you certainly will pay a premium there.

If a guy has some acres maybe a barn, a parts rig or two is by far the most economical.

Last edited:
Rookie move. I aspire to have my own cruiser boneyard.

As a business, OK. Totally different than being paranoid & falling into the ‘glad I have a spare everything’ -mentality. We’re already a O/C-d bunch.

For the average guy with just a average size yard or whatever, the smart money is to stay far more investested in a 401K / market - you can’t argue market returns as a dumb move, and as a bonus you don’t look like the neighborhood crackhouse.

But I had 5 wrecked VW GTI’s at one point in my early 20’s, and still a crap-ton of spare 80 parts stored indoors.

I just hit a point where my ~$40K boat was stored outdoors & a ton of random FZJ80 & E30M3 parts were indoors. Talk about stupid.

Also, any hulk 80 in WA state is just rusting from the top down, aside from say a crazy desert zone out where the old Bronco Graveyard used to be before moving to ~VA.

But that’s me & I’ll be glad when I sell the BMW down the road to buy a better plot of dirt up here - but I’m also in a place where the real estate market is flat bonkers.

That’s just my opinion.

I have two running 80’s in great shape.

As a business, OK. Totally different than being paranoid & falling into the ‘glad I have a spare everything’ -mentality. We’re already a O/C-d bunch.

For the average guy with just a average size yard or whatever, the smart money is to stay far more investested in a 401K / market - you can’t argue market returns as a dumb move, and as a bonus you don’t look like the neighborhood crackhouse.

But I had 5 wrecked VW GTI’s at one point in my early 20’s, and still a crap-ton of spare 80 parts stored indoors.

I just hit a point where my ~$40K boat was stored outdoors & a ton of random FZJ80 & E30M3 parts were indoors. Talk about stupid.

Also, any hulk 80 in WA state is just rusting from the top down, aside from say a crazy desert zone out where the old Bronco Graveyard used to be before moving to ~VA.

But that’s me & I’ll be glad when I sell the BMW down the road to buy a better plot of dirt up here - but I’m also in a place where the real estate market is flat bonkers.

That’s just my opinion.

I was thinking more of a collection/hobby. :hillbilly:
I totally see where you're coming from though.

That’s just my opinion.

Hey Linus UW undergrad here, grew up in the Eastside. Is rust a problem for wa state vehicles? I have never owned a car old or long enough to care. Curious if the 80s command higher prices in Seattle than SoCal in genera.

Hey Linus UW undergrad here, grew up in the Eastside. Is rust a problem for wa state vehicles? I have never owned a car old or long enough to care. Curious if the 80s command higher prices in Seattle than SoCal in genera.

Cars rust 3 basic ways in the cont 48 states:

Top down : in WA / NW 48states (or any convertible)
Bottom up : in the Rust belt thru to NE 48states
General rot : FL panhandle due to salt air & humidity

A sitting hulk will rot faster than a rolling 80, but the above is the conventional wisdom of how/where to look for rust, esp when scouting old cars & can trace where they lived (ex G1 Camaro owner, had/have plenty of old cars).

IMO you will pay a 10-20% premium for a WA 80 over a Cali 80
-but- the tradeoff is now a 20-25yr 80 from Cali is UV’ed to $hit, so dashboard crack(ing) -esp the single crack dead center over the cluster on a G2/airbag dash is expected, where a WA lifer 80 will prob still have a great dash like my black 80 that’s a Cali transplant back from 2000.

And anymore that 10-20% is hit-n-miss. But if you have your moneyroll ready and are a pushy buyer, you can still name your color combo for most beside Nightshadow or that Desert Dune/Moonglow combo & find a good example within 8-10mo.

Mine are/were garaged. One Cali, one TX.

Strip parts, put them in boxes, put the boxes in a semi regulated shop/garage and get rid of the hulks.

Doesn't matter where you live sitting outside in the environment will break down parts especially now that we are looking at 30 year old trucks.

- Desert trucks don't have rust, but the seals are shot. So any moisture/car washes/etc gets inside, especially around the cargo windows, windshield, and runs into the electronics.
- Rust belt has s***ty hard parts but no UV issues like the southern trucks.

I have an LS from Texas that was a 2006 I bought in 2014, and the Texas sun had every piece of external rubber completely shot, where as my LX is 10 years older and the rubber was fine.

If I was a smart man, I would start buying up spares and doing just what I said. Organizing and keeping the boxes in the garage. I remember when I bought my 55 in 2002? maybe 2003, it was before they gained a little popularity and I bought all factory weather strip and seals for maybe $400. 6 or 7 years later those parts were no longer available from Toyota and they were on eBay for 5 or 6 times that amount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom