For those who have removed OEM running boards (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried to remove my OEM running boards last night but encountered a problem with removing the upper bolt of the rear-most mounting bracket. The body-mount-to-frame bushing/bracket makes getting any wrench or socket I own onto that bolt near impossible.

Best I can do is get a box-end on there at an angle. I fear I'm going to strip the bolt and be in much deeper sh*t.

What methods or tools have you guys used to remove this bolt?

I used a 13mm or 1/2" open ended wrench. The back ones are a bugger to get to.

I bought myself a set of metric offset wrenches and used the 13mm offset to remove that back bolt. It gives you just enough room to turn the wrench.

offset 13mm yes- I actually used a 13mm flex head Gear wrench - everyone should have an entire set- They are the most used and abused tools in mine and most shops- invaluable and versatile
damn near close to indestructable

yup, i have them, use them daily...

offset 13mm yes- I actually used a 13mm flex head Gear wrench - everyone should have an entire set- They are the most used and abused tools in mine and most shops- invaluable and versatile

like this?:

41t8brhQUKL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
41t8brhQUKL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:
HAHA! I took them off 2 weeks ago, I was able to fight with my 1/4 ratchet and short socket. A bunch of cursing and bruises later I got them out.
Truck looks great without them.
Unfortunately :princess: does not like how high it is without them :bang:, so, I cleaned them all up, painted them matte black and now they are back on.
If she only knew how hard I worked for her!

Bruises, cussing, and bloody knuckles are still included with any wrench set, I do believe!

man, I needed some of those wrenches trying to get my power steering lines loose over the last couple of nights....excuses for more tools

Question anticipated and answered

I was thinking about taking my running boards off, too. Now I know what to look for. As convenient as they are for people to step up on I just use my LC for work and have already significantly added a capacious cargo area by taking out all four rear seats. The next to go might be the 80 pound front passenger street. Sometimes I'm hauling long lumber and I'd like to find a lightweight, removable seat to replace it.
DSCN2380.jpg

x3 or 4 or whatever. I was skeptical at first about these things but man do they work well. I got a metric set which went from 10 mm to 17mm IIRC. Started off soft on them thinking they were light duty and used them only in those super tight spots. Then more and more felt free to reach them for all sorts of stuff. I still haven't really opened up on them but I think they would take the abuse. Anyways, great way to get access to those bolts behind the running boards. :cheers:

Edit: Hit the bolts beforehand with penetrating spray and soak them thoroughly if there is any rust anywhere.

Didn't get the gear wrenches...yet. Gave my buddy a call and he had one of these:

DSC00438.JPG

This worked really well. I'm lucky to have a SoCal rig that I transplanted to the Northwest. Rusty who?

And here it is naked

DSC00442.JPG
DSC00438.JPG
DSC00442.JPG

Air ratchet worked for me.:idea: Leave the easy bolts in or you'll drop them on you shins, ouch. :crybaby::crybaby:

The rigs look so much better without the boards. Cleaner.
Definitely remember to leave a couple of the centre bolts in until you have the ends off.
Once the rig graduates to my full time toy, there will be some simple low profile 1/4 plate sliders in my life...

The rigs look so much better without the boards. Cleaner.
Definitely remember to leave a couple of the centre bolts in until you have the ends off.
Once the rig graduates to my full time toy, there will be some simple low profile 1/4 plate sliders in my life...

It looks cleaner except for that mounting tab that hangs down off the front fender flare IMO :meh:. I'll be covering them up with mud flaps.

Air ratchet worked for me.:idea: Leave the easy bolts in or you'll drop them on you shins, ouch. :crybaby::crybaby:

I tried my air ratchet but it was too tall to fit in that space with the socket on. :frown: I found I could remove all bolts without the board falling since the center bracket slips over a stud for mounting. The board drooped when all bolts were removed but still hung on giving me time to plan the drop.

A sawzall !!!!, got them right of !!

X2...I didn't plan on keepin em so I removed them with the Sawzall and then easy access to the remaining offenders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom