for those that need reminding... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nuclearlemon

not an addict
Threads
BONDO SUCKS!!! RESIST THE URGE!!!!

anyone ever use a wire wheel to get it out? that's my next option i think...sand pads are gone to quick, so i've been using hammer and chisel every once in a while.

on the plus side, i did discover the ultra rare oem dual exhaust setup :D
P7250001.JPG
P7250002.JPG
P7250004.JPG

looks like the bondo is only filling some dents, at least it's not filling a huge rust void! I hope you didn't buy the rig thinking it was rust and filler free... I bought a Ford Bronco when I was a teenager (I know! what was I thinking) many years ago that looked solid. After about a month, big chunks of bondo started falling out of the rot holes that the PO had stuffed full of plastic garbage bags to hold the bond in place! it was three inches thick in some places! I now know to take magnets with me when buying used trucks...

MDH33 said:
I hope you didn't buy the rig thinking it was rust and filler freeQUOTE]
bondo and all, it's still worth the $10 i paid for it. :D

there is a big hole by the reflector that i partially uncovered after these photos, but it appears to be drilled. this is the worst hole :eek:
P4160006.JPG

Reminds me of my first car accident, almost in tears at the sight of my first trucks, smashed up. Then my buddy says, "Don't worry, nothing a gallon of bondo won't fix".

I had good luck using a low grit flappy sanding disc, but my bondo wasn't so thick.

I feel your pain, every time I take a sander to mine, I find more bondo. Mine will be 25 lbs. lighter when I finally get it all off. A angle grinder flapper works good.

I hate the stuff, my new cruiser i just got had it everywhere. It was even on the damn roof. I'm just cutting it all out and replacing all the steel with new. Ton of work but worth it.

Ige, I use one of those twisted wire wheels even on the body. It rips out rust and bondo and if the metal is too thin to handle the wire wheel it wouldn't last very long anyway.

Well Ige, You probably won't be happy with me. I used Bondo yo help repair the damage from the tire incident. It doesn't look pretty, but it looks better than without it.

Next year I plan on replace the two corner panels and the bottom sil, so at least its only temporary.

i believe bondo is for filling dents not plugging holes......your right....what a dooooozie!

Yes, a wire wheel works great and doesn't load up like sand paper. Be aware of the rpm ratings on them. I wasted a few trying to run them in a pneumatic die grinder that spun the wires right out of them and into everything else! duuh! You are probably smarter than me but thought I'd mention it! Might try bumping it out from behind first if the steel needs to be brought back to surface level anyway. Often this knocks some chunks loose. Have you checked out Eastwood"s glue on patch panels? In hindsight, I would have tried them for similar rust areas because my welding skills are, well...what skills? Looks like it would keep water and grime out of a flanged type panel. If you have the skills to butt weld a well fit patch panel in...way to go for sure. Good luck!

Nuclearlemon-

Try getting a sand paper "dresser" I dont know the official name for them, but you can find them at a good hardware store. They look like a stick of butter with the consistency of dried rubber cement. You can use it to rub all the bondo that clogs your paper, you can get about 5 or 6 times the sanding out of a normal disk. Coarse grit, and keep cleaning them off (takes about 5 seconds to clean a disk).

Hope it helps, they are only about 5 bucks.

Rezarf <><

The bondo that I removed from my piggy was 2" thick in the back lower corners all the way to the wheel wheel. Not to mention the entire roof rim was held in place by fiberglass. Once removed the fiberglass the roof cap would lift off. Some of the crap people do makes you wonder. I used a stiff putty knife and a hammer to get it off.

I have used the gas wrench, blue tipped wrench or fire axe. It works wonders. After it gets gooey hot and flaming wildly, blow out flames and peel off with a gasket scraper.

My 74 was missing one rear reflector when I got it, when I stripped it with a wire wheel getting ready for paint there was a half a inch of bondo where the reflector holes were supose to be. Wire wheel on an angle grinder ripped right though it in no time.

Kevin

sweet...wire wheel it will be. for now, i just rattle canned over it...chunky look and all as a reminder that BONDO SUCKS :grinpimp:

My wire wheel has done reall well stripping paint, rust, bondo, 30 y/o dirt whatever it comes across. Get the cup shaped one where the wires are twisted together they last a good while longer.

clemson55 said:
My wire wheel has done reall well stripping paint, rust, bondo, 30 y/o dirt whatever it comes across. Get the cup shaped one where the wires are twisted together they last a good while longer.
sweet...thanks for the advice.

nuclearlemon said:
sweet...wire wheel it will be. for now, i just rattle canned over it...chunky look and all as a reminder that BONDO SUCKS :grinpimp:

I used bondo for the first time the other night I like it. I covered up a few rust pits. Bondo is good in small thin layers. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom