For the first time in over 7 years... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

frismanis

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.shayahealth.com
my fj45lpb is licensed, insured, and street legal. :bounce:

I brought it through the state safety inspection last night, and went to the tax office and got plates this morning.

Maybe I'll be able to kick back and relax a little now... probably not since my 40 just blew a head gasket :doh:

maybeeeeeeeeeeeee...............

just in time for little mantis to start driving :D

and the pics are where? :flipoff2:

Way to go Mike! Now we need to convoy our rigs over to get a brew at the Richmond Arms Pub.

Perfect timing Mike. Now that school is letting out, you won't have to worry about kiddies chasing after that yellow beast every time you pass a school bus stop! :flipoff2:

So how long until you wheel it? :cool:

Well crap... drove it into work today, and when I got it up to 55-60mph I lost oil pressure :mad: I immediately left the freeway and took the back roads into work. It has decent pressure when I go 35-45mph, but over that it heads south.

Suggestions?

I'm ready to pull it and drop in something new. :frown:

I"m sure Mark will know a proper answer but I've got a couple theory's. The external oil pressure regulator on the drivers side of the block is opening all the way?
The pickup on the pump is broken.. And can't flow that much oil into the block? I've got a very similar issue on my Fj45 and am suspecting the oil pump pickup tube is cracked or something.. When I am driving up an incline upwards off road it will lose oilpressure. I think that's when it was doing it? been a while since i've had it out..
MARK.. (insert Leah voice from Star Wars here) Your our only hope..
Now if Mark imagines me with those buns wrapped in my hair we got bigger problems than losing oil pressure!

tornadoalleycruiser said:
I"m sure Mark will know a proper answer

Yeah, if his shop wasn't 2000 miles away I'd just drop it off there. If I can't get this figured out in the next couple weeks I'll probably end up dropping the 4.3 I was going to put in my 40 in the 45 instead. :frown:

Mike, I don't have this thread tagged to keep tabs on it, so you might have to consider other options for getting a fast opinion.

FIrst question, are you relying on a far less than perfect factory guage to tell you whether you have oil pressure. If you are, smack yourself.

Second, do you remember how many quarts of oil you put in it last time you changed the oil. If you answered 5, smack yourself again. HVLP.

If you don't remember changing the oil since you got it, smack yourself silly!
When you wake up from the beating, change your oil, put in 7 quarts and make your own mark on the dipstick for a reference.

:cheers:

65swb45 said:
Mike, I don't have this thread tagged to keep tabs on it, so you might have to consider other options for getting a fast opinion.

FIrst question, are you relying on a far less than perfect factory guage to tell you whether you have oil pressure. If you are, smack yourself.

Second, do you remember how many quarts of oil you put in it last time you changed the oil. If you answered 5, smack yourself again. HVLP.

If you don't remember changing the oil since you got it, smack yourself silly!
When you wake up from the beating, change your oil, put in 7 quarts and make your own mark on the dipstick for a reference.

:cheers:

Mark, I have changed the oil... 8 quarts of 20w50. It is just over halfway between the low and full mark on the dipstick. I am going to change it again this weekend because the oil that came out smelled like gas, and was very thin... possibly the p.o. tried the oil kerosene trick to clean out the engine? I've tried to contact him over the course of the past year, but he has disappeared.

Yes I am using the factory gauge, but even though it isn't accurate, it gives me a general idea that I am losing oil pressure... at 45 mph the needle is just over the first mark on the gauge, but when I get up to 60 it falls to the far left (no pressure). In addition to that I start hearing the dreaded tick-tick-tick in the engine. I drove it in to work today keeping it at 55 and it seemed fine. I have ordered an AutoMeter oil pressure gauge, so I'll get a more accurate view of what is happening with my oil pressure after that arrives.

Thanks for the reply :) Oh, and I put your money order in the mail on wed.

later,
mike.

Mike, if you changed the oil and it smells like gas now, then I would suspect you are losing the diaphram in your fuel pump. Usually you will get a telltale external drip when this happens, but sometimes it just goes into the pan, where damage can occur rather quickly.

If the truck still runs ok at low speed and up to 55, I would recommend changing the fuel pump for safety's sake before contaminating another round of oil. Get another money order and I will ship all your stuff together.

When you get a mechanical oil guage, buy a 270 degree sweep, not a 90.

Mark, the oil that came out when I first got it smelled like gas. I haven't checked the new oil I put in. I am going to drain it tomorrow morning and see what I see.

I have a few electric fuel pumps & regulators sitting around, so I can put one of those in for the time being to see if that helps.

thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom