FOR suspension truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good luck in your pursuit of comfiness ranma, I'm sure you'll find some semblence of it with the FOR shocks, just remember your in a LC 80 and not a LCII. I would still like to hear from someone who beat the snot out of them for 5 years, and what the lift is like now. Do they loose progressiveness after 3 years and just sag, or do they give us that long sought after marshmellow ride?

I still think you should chop off the solid axle, mount up a bomb proof independent suspension all the way around, and call it the LCIII. Make sure you take pictures too or more people will make fun of you, this forum does have the name hate and mud in its name.:cheers:

Good luck in your pursuit of comfiness ranma, I'm sure you'll find some semblence of it with the FOR shocks, just remember your in a LC 80 and not a LCII. I would still like to hear from someone who beat the snot out of them for 5 years, and what the lift is like now. Do they loose progressiveness after 3 years and just sag, or do they give us that long sought after marshmellow ride?

I still think you should chop off the solid axle, mount up a bomb proof independent suspension all the way around, and call it the LCIII. Make sure you take pictures too or more people will make fun of you, this forum does have the name hate and mud in its name.:cheers:

I am not trying to pursue perfect comfiness, if I do I will not own that many 80s. I would have ditch 80 and own a 100 many moons ago. By the way if you do not know what LC ll is then shut up stop making yourself a clown!!! Just to educate you, LC ll is a LC 70 light model with solid axle.

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." -- Frank Zappa

Thanks to Slee and FOR for stepping out of the box!

Agree.:) And if anyone has slee set up I will like to try it too.

Ya know, perhaps I had too much coffee today, perhaps it was crap coffee, and perhaps its because the :princess: has transferred her sh*t mood to me...

but some of us want a TRUCK that RIDES WELL. The 80 IS a TRUCK that RIDES WELL in it's stock form. Sorry we have come so accustomed to asking for so much.

I am a sales person that lives behind the wheel. I take clients in the car. And YES, i drink coffee in the car. And on the weekends I want to wheel with my local Cruiser chapter and do it well. Is it too much to ask to want to search for a suspension that does it ALL WELL?

NO. So you hardass MF'ers who are just TOO hardcore to understand that should check out of the thread. Your opinion was not asked for by the original poster. He stated a problem, listed his experience (which makes him qualified to ask the question) and was in search for someone actually running the possible solution. HE DID NOT ASK FOR YOUR OPINION OF WHY HE SHOULD NOT DO IT. :flipoff2: (minus the smile)

Rant over. I hope he finds someone who has the Frankie setup, so he can post an objective opinion.

Last edited:
Please reread my post... I never mentioned anything about quality.

As for the shocks, it is my understanding that they are Bilstein 5100. I would also venture to guess that OME shocks would be the same as a Rancho 5000 or ProComp or Skyjacker. Most of those are the same shock with a different sticker. Feel free to google the price difference between a Nitro shock like OME and a Bilstien 5100. Reporting back with links would be nice. :flipoff2:

The shocks are NOT made by Bilstein. I don't think its a secret of who makes them for Frankie, however I will let Frankie divulge that information if he cares to. But they are definitely NOT Bilstein. I do know that the shocks are tuned to Frankies specs that he wanted and experimented with to get the best ride and control.

It just amazes me some on this forum do not believe that a new manufacturer can come up with a new product and that is is a good product and actually meets some of our needs. Notice I didn't say all of our needs....

Last edited:
The shocks are NOT made by Bilstein. I don't think its a secret of who makes them for Frankie, however I will let Frankie divulge that information if he cares to. But they are definitely NOT Bilstein. I do know that the shocks are tuned to Frankies specs that he wanted and experimented with to get the best ride and control.

It just amazes me some on this forum do not believe that a new manufacturer can come up with a new product and that is is a good product and actually meets some of our needs. Notice I didn't say all of our needs....

HUH??

2986627830083790364XkjpZg

I know that he doesn't go and get 5100's off the shelf, and has them valved the way he wants them, but they are definitely Bilsteins. Unless he is putting Bilstein stickers on the shock and not telling anyone......:meh:

lighting hit our shop and did allot of damage sorry for not responding sooner in this thread.
#1 we used 5100's on GEN1 kits
#2 we use edelbrock on GEN II kits
#3 OME is a good kit for the money (BTW we sale OME kits as well)
#4 Our kit is for a higher end market

sigep0359 I am sorry your test ride and our kit failed your standards we did our best.

Last edited:
I am in Houston and am almost finished with a Gen II FOR lift kit on a '95...

I just wish a lot more people that are currently running J's would upgrade to the FOR or Slee so I there will be more cheap J lifts in the classifieds section. It's true, I'm a cheapo.

Funny to see this thread come back now as I have ordered the FOR kit and expect it any day now. My 4.5 inch OME springs and shocks are already spoken for and I am pretty keen to get the new stuff on as my rig is a daily driver. I went with FOR to correct all of the geometry properly and hopefully achieve an ideal balance between on and off road performance. Is Frankie expensive? You bet!

Let me say this. So far- Frankie has been exceptional to deal with. He is straight up about his system and keeps in touch with you with progress. He delayed my kit due to a new driveshaft he wanted to give me. He was helpful and patient whan my bank did a security clampdown 3 times on my Visa (why are you buying something in Alabama?). So far a prince of a guy to deal with and if his kit does what he says, I will try to get my mechanic to be his dealer here.

Sc0- - I would llike to scheudle a test ride as well.

Lim, perhaps we could commute together to his place?

Hey Brett,

That would be nice. Actually Tuan has the set up in his truck now. I drove it off road one time at Ketemcy. Very nice and soft, quite close to the 100 with ome Prasad has. i have not driven it on road though. Would love to try it out. Keep me posted.

I think the original posters vehicle given mods weighs about 800+lbs more than a stock Landcruiser- and probably OME springs/shocks arent the best fit. Its my guess that the additional weight within a short period of time kills OMEs which is why we see quite a bit of tilted cruisers on OME springs and shocks.

We have to remember that vehicle weight can vary by 1000's of lbs and ALL springs really are made to perform for given weight. Im pretty sure Frankie designed his springs based around an 80 with some aftermarket armor.....hence why heavier cruisers are really moving out of the OME range and into FOR range.

My OME feels great given i have done a fair bit of offsetting armor weight with some weight reduction which really allows me more cargo capacity and the ability to stay within the OME weight range and not overpower the springs/shocks.

Cant help you with a test drive but I have ridden in both and the off road ride is very similar; to me it is on road where it shines. And the OP is wanting a DD ride quality enhancement and I would vote this would make a difference on the ride he is speaking of. He also never said budget was an issue so your 2 grand point is mute; as it really may not be an issue.

Plus if you look at the lifts and consider the OME is 872.00 before tax/shipping from slee.
Now Frankie will sell you his springs and shocks for around 800 as well. Only pieces your missing is the steering stabilizer and Castor Correction bushings. Once sourced then then the price difference isnt that substantial.

So you wanna compare FOR 3.5'' to the J springs? OK then compare apples to apples and include all the parts that you "should" have and are included in FOR kit. I believe the FOR kit is around 1800. But add all the associated pieces to the OME "j" kit that dont come with it ( and dont forget bushings arent enough correction) that would be panhard adjusters, plates, DC shaft etc and I think youll find yourself back at a similar figure.

Not saying its not pricey but just make sure you really comparing the same products.

OP.... might call Frankie and ask if hes sold any in those areas... maybe he could hook you up w/ a customer.

(doh, nm as i see youve found your answer and the thread is 6 mos old)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom