FOR suspension truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hate to say it, but I am in the "I don't mind my stiff-ass OME setup" camp. I don't know, but it feels like a truck, can handle what I throw at it (large loads of sh*t, heavy trailer), and I probably won't go back, due to funds primarily, but I don't see myself exchanging the entire suspension set up for a "nicer" ride. If I were just starting the buildup now, I might be thinking otherwise... I am living with it, and I love my truck...

Cheers!

Hate to say it, but I am in the "I don't mind my stiff-ass OME setup" camp. I don't know, but it feels like a truck, can handle what I throw at it (large loads of sh*t, heavy trailer), and I probably won't go back, due to funds primarily, but I don't see myself exchanging the entire suspension set up for a "nicer" ride. If I were just starting the buildup now, I might be thinking otherwise... I am living with it, and I love my truck...

Cheers!

Couldn't have said it better myself, if you want plush + capable drop 72k on a 200 series, not 2k on a suspension.....

I understand, all i'm saying is the 80 is a solid axle vehicle, no matter what kind of springs you use, you will never get rid of that bumpy truck feel. Whats that saying, you can only put so much lip stick on a pig or something like that. Maybe the FOR(never heard of it) suspension is more comfortable, wheels better, increases performance, gives you better gas milage, and keeps your triple shot latte from spilling in your lap, I still wouldn't go through the effort of swapping it in search of comfort.

As far as 4runners go, the newer ones are ugly, and if you can't take the top off, its not a real 4runner

I appreciate some of your comment, and I do not appreciate some of you who do not respect other's preference. Lets go back to the original thread, I am asking anyone who has FOR suspension setup, I do not need your comment on how good you like your OME and bash others, so don't tell me to get other trucks. I have driven many LC models, 60, 80, 70, 100, 200, LC II, older and newer prado and models you probably have not get your butt on before in other countries. My famalies in other countries own and wheel them. And I have had 3 80 with OME and 1 4runner with OME as well, I know how they perform and how they ride. How come some of you are so stubborn and stuck with your only belief and refuse to open your eyes and look around for something better??? You never know until you try it, I do not dare to say anything about FOR until I try it on and offroad with or without weight.

I appreciate some of your comment, and I do not appreciate some of you who do not respect other's preference. Lets go back to the original thread, I am asking anyone who has FOR suspension setup, I do not need your comment on how good you like your OME and bash others, so don't tell me to get other trucks. I have driven many LC models, 60, 80, 70, 100, 200, LC II, older and newer prado and models you probably have not get your butt on before in other countries. My famalies in other countries own and wheel them. And I have had 3 80 with OME and 1 4runner with OME as well, I know how they perform and how they ride. How come some of you are so stubborn and stuck with your only belief and refuse to open your eyes and look around for something better??? You never know until you try it, I do not dare to say anything about FOR until I try it on and offroad with or without weight.

Good point! man, waiting for your report... thanks

Ok here is my $0.02, I have the complete F.O.R. Gen II suspension setup. I have never ridden in an OME truck so I can not compare against OME. However I have ridden in many lifted trucks.

I have never ridden in a truck that has been lifted 4" and had as nice as ride as I have in my Landcruiser with the F.O.R. Gen II lift!!! I have been spending alot of time on dirt roads lately with washboards (ground squirrel hunting) and have driven 40 to 50 MPH on them and never once had any concerns. Unfortunately, I have not had an opportunity to wheel it hard yet!!

I have not had alot of weight in the truck yet, I am planning on an ARB front bumper with winch, 4x4 labs rear, and maybe a RTT. After speaking with Frankie I feel comfortable these springs will handle the load.

Maybe Landtank will chime in as well, he has tons of experience on OME and I believe he is running the Gen II F.O.R. suspension. If not you may want to PM him for comments

I want a F.O.R. lift SOOO bad.

Would that be a(n) LR II or is there some other LC that was produced in another country, perhaps outer space that nobody has heard of? I am not bashing any lift, nor is anyone on here that I have read, all we are bashing is the glorified mall cruisers that wanna be hardcore w/o as one put it "spilling their latte". I am glad that you have driven every LC ever made, but you have the most capable one, use it for its intended use and go with it. It only goes to prove how luxury defines us in the good old USA, the best example is the 100 series. While the rest of the world got the coil sprung solid axle 105 with a 5 speed tranny and diesel 1HZ, we got the 100 with torsion bars and IFS, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot???? That isn't a LC to me, but hell I own one, wanna know why because it rides better than my 80 or my 60 does. Leave comfort to the moms of the world.....

Would that be a(n) LR II or is there some other LC that was produced in another country, perhaps outer space that nobody has heard of? I am not bashing any lift, nor is anyone on here that I have read, all we are bashing is the glorified mall cruisers that wanna be hardcore w/o as one put it "spilling their latte". I am glad that you have driven every LC ever made, but you have the most capable one, use it for its intended use and go with it. It only goes to prove how luxury defines us in the good old USA, the best example is the 100 series. While the rest of the world got the coil sprung solid axle 105 with a 5 speed tranny and diesel 1HZ, we got the 100 with torsion bars and IFS, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot???? That isn't a LC to me, but hell I own one, wanna know why because it rides better than my 80 or my 60 does. Leave comfort to the moms of the world.....

You have stated your opinion, now move on. The op has some questions about the FOR suspension. Whatever he wants out of a suspension is really up to him.

I have also read that Slee's 4" lift actually rides much better with different shocks than the OME. Some guys have used bilsteins and have been quite pleased. Just something to consider. Oh, and if you do get to ride in a FOR truck please report back. I am curious. Also, if you buy the FOR kit, can I ride in your truck for comparrison.

Buck

i will just put my 1cent in and say....

i totally agree with most of what sigep is saying. OME has been pretty much our only option for a long time. When i first joined mud, i heard nothing but good things about OME. I have run it on my rig for years now. Slee came out with something a little better. That doesn't mean that OME is now junk. Now FOR has come out with something even better..... still does not mean OME is junk.

I would love to ride in a FOR sprung truck just to feel/see the difference. But that does not mean i am going to throw OME under the bus and consider it horrible.

Wow Buck, way to stifle opinion, I only stated that I have driven/rode in a FZJ80 lifted with a FOR 3" vehicle, and I own a FZJ80 with 3" of OME Heavy Front Med Rear and could not tell a difference. My only beef was with the people who buy a truck and complain that it drives like a truck. My bad....:censor:

Not trying to stifle anyones opinion and appreciate your comparrison between the OME J's and FOR. I just don't see the reason to bring up your "beef" with people wanting to have a better ride while on and off road.

Personally, I didn't think the 80 rode like a truck with the stock suspension. If one can have a closer to "stock feel" while on pavement in a suspension designed for off road, its a win win. Especially for someone like me that daily drives the 80 and puts 20k miles a year on her.

Buck

I really enjoy my FOR truck.

I drove a slee 4" and an OME J truck before i made my choice.

Bottom line it came down to the fact that i want to wheel my truck, and drive it to work/school everyday. Because the FOR kit is designed around a progressive rate spring you get the lift you need, full travel that the 80's suspention allows while also getting the smoothest working of the trucks components and a safe stable good riding/handling truck on the highway.

Frankie has said it 10 times that i've read, he is catering to a different group of guys out here and stands behind his product 100%.

Ranma, i hope this helps your decision

Personally, I like my J's... However, that is not to say that if I had the opertunity I would switch to FOR for the type of wheeling my 80 does. That being said, I would probably have to put swaybars back on her if I did that... The J's are stiff enough to run no swaybars and not have it be scary and it still rides better than any other wheeler I've had.

You have stated your opinion, now move on. The op has some questions about the FOR suspension. Whatever he wants out of a suspension is really up to him.

I have also read that Slee's 4" lift actually rides much better with different shocks than the OME. Some guys have used bilsteins and have been quite pleased. Just something to consider. Oh, and if you do get to ride in a FOR truck please report back. I am curious. Also, if you buy the FOR kit, can I ride in your truck for comparrison.

Buck

Will do, not a problem Buck, see you at Kematcy.

Lim

This is the point I want to drive home to the FOR looker...

From FOR website...
$1550.00 for base kit .
$2250.00 *with optional parts CV frontdrive shaft and caster plates, steering stabilizer is in testing and will be Available soon.

Compared to
Slee Off Road

ARB1019 - $872.00
Consist of:
2 x OME 851 Front Coil Springs
2 x OME 860 Rear Coil Springs
2 x N73 Nitrocharger Shocks
2 x N74E Nitrocharger Shocks
1 x SD24 Steering Damper
1 x CA77B Caster Kit
1 x Caster Bushing Press Piece

Now if the springs are that great, why would a large company like OME or Skyjacker or Rancho not jump on the "progressive rate" bandwagon and offer their own that is more like stock. I have my questions about the actuality of the statements that are made by those who drive them. I just wonder where the extra $700 comes from???

I'm done with it.....

Personally, I think that there is a couple reasons for it:

1) Look at the number of springs FOR produces compared to OME, Skyjacker, Rancho etc... Not just 80 springs, but springs in general. Higher qty = lower cost... Basic econ.

2) Progressive rate springs are more expensive to produce than straight rate springs.

3) Bilstien stocks are more expensive. The reason is he can't buy a shock and slap his name on it.

4) Because of the lack of financial backing, FOR needs to recoupe some of his developmental expenses. That's the s***ty part of small specialized companies. I'm sure that even Slee would vouch for that.

Ok, so I am not done. I am not and I repeat not trying to be argumenative, just trying to understand your logic. Ok so Toyota produces 100,000 camrys per year and daihatsu produces 10,000 of whatever it is they produce that is comparative. Does that make the daihatsu better quality??? According to the logic of less production = better quality that would be true. Also I was told that the FOR shocks were made for him by edlebrock and yes they do have his name on the side of them, I have seen them in person, so if they are bilsteins then they are FOR bilsteins.......

Ok, so I am not done. I am not and I repeat not trying to be argumenative, just trying to understand your logic. Ok so Toyota produces 100,000 camrys per year and daihatsu produces 10,000 of whatever it is they produce that is comparative. Does that make the daihatsu better quality??? According to the logic of less production = better quality that would be true. Also I was told that the FOR shocks were made for him by edlebrock and yes they do have his name on the side of them, I have seen them in person, so if they are bilsteins then they are FOR bilsteins.......

Please reread my post... I never mentioned anything about quality.

As for the shocks, it is my understanding that they are Bilstein 5100. I would also venture to guess that OME shocks would be the same as a Rancho 5000 or ProComp or Skyjacker. Most of those are the same shock with a different sticker. Feel free to google the price difference between a Nitro shock like OME and a Bilstien 5100. Reporting back with links would be nice. :flipoff2:

I've had all the springs mentioned in this thread and for on road ride quality I'd say the FORIIs are the best.

Now on April 23rd I'm loading it up and driving 18 hours to NC for a weekend of wheeling in the mountains. I'm looking forward to see how they do.

And Alex you can drive my truck if you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom