FOR suspension truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ranma21

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.februarydesign.com
Hi, I am just wondering anyone in Houston, Dallas, Arkansas and Wichita, KS area has the FOR set up in your 80? Or any places? I am a bit sick of my OME setup for daily driving, just too bone jarring and stiff for daily use. I heard good things about the FOR setup, wondering if I can ride in one of the FOR setup truck before I shop for it.:)

I can't help you with a test drive - F.O.R. Gen II ride is exceptional. You will wonder how OME managed to make it so bad.

Jesus H Christ, as R. Lee Ermey would say, I am almost sick to death of people who wonder why an off road truck should drive like a....wait for it.... TRUCK!!! If you want a caddy, get one. You own one of the most capable off road vehicles made outside of the nissan patrol or the d-90, so I think all the OME haters should shove off to a forum of their own, and until FOR produces a product that wins both Dakkar and Baja (coming in 1st and 2nd in the Paris to Dakkar rallye I might add) then I might give it some props, but until then, it is nothing but a myth. Go/stay with 20+ years of experience that OME brings.

Jesus H Christ, as R. Lee Ermey would say, I am almost sick to death of people who wonder why an off road truck should drive like a....wait for it.... TRUCK!!! If you want a caddy, get one. You own one of the most capable off road vehicles made outside of the nissan patrol or the d-90, so I think all the OME haters should shove off to a forum of their own, and until FOR produces a product that wins both Dakkar and Baja (coming in 1st and 2nd in the Paris to Dakkar rallye I might add) then I might give it some props, but until then, it is nothing but a myth. Go/stay with 20+ years of experience that OME brings.

Oh my, here it goes. Think I'll watch this one from the sidelines.
can-o-worms.gif

Yeah well I for one am a little tired of folks bashing other folks for no reason. The guy does not like his OMEs. Nothing wrong with that.

I am in the market for a lift and use this type of info to help me make decisions.

WTF?!

Outside of the Patrol and freaking D90?!?! How about just outside of nothing!

As far as OME in Dakar, I come from the advertising world. Do you think the Dakar vehicles came knocking on OME's door and begged them to load up their vehicles with their suspension? yeah f'ing right. OME paid a grip to get their suspension used. F.O.R. I just don't see having THAT kind of scratch to pay for placement, do the advertising circuit, supply all the vehicles PLUS spares and on top of that supply support.

I'm not saying F.O.R. is the s*** because there is only anecdotal evidence right now. And besides, Frankie didn't just get into suspension systems yesterday. :rolleyes:

So what if someone wants a truck that wheels like crazy but doesnt beat you up offroad. Just because you have a super capable truck doesnt mean you have to suffer with the daily ride.

Im interested in the FOR over the OME just because it has a nicer ride-from what Ive read at least. I do plan to ride in both before buying; or make a visit to his shop, I believe he is decently close to me.

In the FJ Cruiser world at least the OME are known to give the lift needed but ride like crap-wait I think that is all OMEs in general. I had ICON and they were super plush and wheeled/flexed like crazy. The OME guys would get beat to death keeping up with my truck. Plus the on road ride and handling was great.

To me that makes a good suspension and set up-wheel like crazy and be street friendly.

I have a OME level stance 3 inch kit and my rig is loaded down full time and is about to get even worse when I add rear bumper and sliders and the OME ride pretty rough, dont get me wrong I like their product but for this reason I am in the market for new springs im thinking of going FOR 3.5 or SLEE 4 inch.

And as for whom made the comment about Patrols and D90s being more capable...HA the Patrol is IMO a good vehicle but nowhere near as well built or factory capable as the Cruiser and D90s are underbuilt, unreliable and dont have lockers or a half decent drivetrain, not to mention weak axles. Think about it, you see Rovers with aftermarket Toyota axles and drivetrain components all of the time, have you ever heard of anyone installing rover axles or components on Toyotas?

This is actually my 3rd FZJ with ome suspension setup, do not get me wrong. I do like OME when my truck is loaded for expedition trip, it rides quite nice with lots of weight. I seldom drive all the FZJ I own including this one. I only put about 1500 miles since I own the current one since last April. It mostly sits in the garage waiting for mod or maintenance. I sold my Accord and decided to take my LX for daily driver other than my Camry. To me it is just too much for daily use, some of you might disagree which is fine with me and you are not me. I think I can probably go to his shop in Alabama, I might be working in Alabama in the summer, hopefully he has one there so I can test drive it before making the move. I do not see any reason FOR or any vendor can't come up with something better than OME, is a world of technology and innovation these days anyway.

I have the 5" (6.5" really) OME setup from MAF. It is great off road and sucks @ss on the road. I will trade anyone that has 6" springs from someone else other than OME :)

My buddy has the FOR kit and it drives, and wheels beautifully. I am jealous of his setup, but I would never tell him that ;)

As for Nissan Safari/Patrol, my family in Malaysia own 2 of them with the 4.2TD. Very nice well built truck but some how I feel it is lack of the character of what 80 has. And it is not as common as the Landcruiser, so part support could be a problem when you are in an overland expedition trip. But one thing I like about the safari over the 80 is that it comes with the PTO winch from the factory, now that is way better than the electric winch toyota fits on the 80!!!

OME rides hard wheels well and is rather affordable. FOR rides super, wheels well and is rather spendy. For me the FOR is more appealing. I have a 5 inch OME setup right now and it is too firm and handles poorly. Wheels fine but I still manage to get stuck all over the place.

ome's really do need to be loaded down for it to ride nice. just got back from a road trip 2 weeks ago, and during the whole time, i couldnt believe how nice it felt. yes it was very weighed down so that affected handling, but it soaked up the bumps and wasnt as bone jarringly stiff as it was when its just me DD'ing.

it is possible to have a nice ride thats almost as plush as stock if not a bit stiffer. my 4runner on fagtech co's up front and ome springs out back was pretty stiff. my friend with an identical runner had a downey coilover setup on billies rode much better...esp over the lil stuff like speedbumps, potholes and manhole covers. it was almost stock like.

id love to run frankies setup. with the prog coils and custom valved billies...it seems to be like it'd be a very nice ride. although we can only take nay's and frankies word on that :flipoff2: too bad frankies setup isnt more readily available...at ome's prices. im sure people would be willing to try it out and see for themselves that you CAN have a nice riding lifted 5000+ lb truck that wheels awesome.

Really, you are doubting the patrol? How do you think your 80 series came to have a 4 link coil system? I'll answer for you, the patrol!! They had it on their stuff 5 years prior to the LC getting it. If you wonder why on the rest of mud some of the guys have avatars that say "Series Limit = 60" it's because of this type of I want a mall cruiser/rock crawler attitude, you either have an off road truck that drives that way or you get two of them one to wheel and one to DD, simple. As for the gent who said that OME went a knockin to get the dakkar and baja people to use their stuff. I don't know if you have heard of sponsorship in racing or anything like that, but it is usually the drivers that go out looking for that kind of stuff not the other way around. I am not knocking FOR's lift at all, I rode in one and I was like " wow it's an 80 series LC " I didn't find it any more soft than my 80 at all, I guess you have to be a pro 80 driver to know. I would like to know where FOR gets his springs, I have been told that the shock mfr is edlebrock, but somehow that sounds wrong. Anyway, if one of you can educate me i'd be open to listen..... My 2 cents

As for the gent who said that OME went a knockin to get the dakkar and baja people to use their stuff. I don't know if you have heard of sponsorship in racing or anything like that, but it is usually the drivers that go out looking for that kind of stuff not the other way around.

Reread what I wrote and then reread what you wrote. :rolleyes:

Sponsorships are NOT cheap. Been doing them for 15 years.

Most of the comments here point out indirectly that OME is designed for Aussie-style expedition use.
Very few US customers use these supsensions as intended.

The bottom line, price excepted, OME is not an appropriate suspension for the way most Americans use their 80s.

I can't speak for the world, but you could probably exchange American in the above sentence to non Aussie.

I am not bashing OME at all, or anyone who has it. For the longest time, it was really the only choice.

It's all about personal opinion and standars ..

With OME J and virtually no armour on my setp .. they are pretty stiff .. but I like it ! I was in Rancho setup that was to soft .. Just for me ..

How the FOR kit can be compared to the Downy coils .. ?

In the FJ Cruiser world at least the OME are known to give the lift needed but ride like ****-wait I think that is all OMEs in general.

The FJ Cruiser world, sorry, I'm still laughing. Is that on right after Dora the explorer? Those people are like the original Land Cruiser owners of yesteryear, who bought vehicles because of price tags and prestige. My Land Crusier and its OME springs feel great, maybe thats because it has 300 lbs of tool in the back, because its a truck and thats what it is designed for.

If your looking for a comfy ride, maybe you should chop everything off and get rid of the solid axles, IFS feels way better, and maybe then you'll get some props for doing something different.

The FJ Cruiser world, sorry, I'm still laughing. Is that on right after Dora the explorer? Those people are like the original Land Cruiser owners of yesteryear, who bought vehicles because of price tags and prestige. My Land Crusier and its OME springs feel great, maybe thats because it has 300 lbs of tool in the back, because its a truck and thats what it is designed for.

If your looking for a comfy ride, maybe you should chop everything off and get rid of the solid axles, IFS feels way better, and maybe then you'll get some props for doing something different.

That was nice. I was just trying to give my experience with OME. All the people I know that bought them did it to have a really capable truck with Toyota reliability. Kinda the same reason people have 80s-stock its pretty decent and bulletproof-but when modded is near unstoppable and still reliable.

Im sure the IFS helped on my FJ but the OME still rides like crap and others dont. I thought that's what this was about it anyway-not someones choice of a truck.

Why dont you jump on that person above that mentioned 4-Runners-those are IFS also and when new cost the same as FJ Cruisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom