Official ONSC member buying/selling thread (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If Toyota wasn’t doing a buyback on my 62, I would be all over those bumpers. I don’t think you will have any trouble unloading them.
A buy back?

Assuming they can't complete the open gas tank recall on his truck, and are obligated to offer to buy back the truck instead.

Hmm I had thought there was a 10 year expiration date on most recalls. May be different for a gas tank due to safety issues. How does Toyota value your truck for the buy back? Your purchase price, original purchase price, tax value, kbb?

Hmm I had thought there was a 10 year expiration date on most recalls. May be different for a gas tank due to safety issues. How does Toyota value your truck for the buy back? Your purchase price, original purchase price, tax value, kbb?

At what price? The 62 sold for like 19k.

From what I’ve seen in the 60 forum, the buy back money Toyota has offered is a joke. Pennies on the dollar. Think of it as Toyota’s version of cash for clunkers. If I were a 62 owner in need of a gas tank, I’d either fix mine or buy an aftermarket tank. FWIW I just paid $425 to have the tank on my 55 boiled, patched and re-lined. It looked like this:

B8AB8D5C-8DA2-4F15-9EE8-3E45BE2CAD8B.jpeg

They offered low book value, but I questioned them on it as mine is much cleaner than others in that range and rust free and let them know to replace it would fall more in the average value. I am waiting to hear back as the rep questioned it as well. To give condition, here are some pics.

7FDC0D53-7B93-4189-94EE-9107DB0AC7D9.jpeg

67B6CF6B-0C55-4F5D-ADD7-BD6BDAA240F1.jpeg

501A1BE9-B9BE-451E-A223-77AEBAFDFC83.jpeg

F93B348E-18D9-4C68-BB18-377C8DE57F6D.jpeg

87493E85-547A-413A-8115-6445F881CC29.jpeg

Last edited:
From what I’ve seen in the 60 forum, the buy back money Toyota has offered is a joke. Pennies on the dollar. Think of it as Toyota’s version of cash for clunkers. If I were a 62 owner in need of a gas tank, I’d either fix mine or buy an aftermarket tank. FWIW I just paid $425 to have the tank on my 55 boiled, patched and re-lined. It looked like this:

View attachment 1944533

They offered low book value, but I questioned them on it as mine is much cleaner than others in that range and rust free and let them know to replace it would fall more in the average value. I am waiting to hear back as the rep questioned it as well. To give condition, here are some pics.

View attachment 1944561

View attachment 1944562

View attachment 1944563

View attachment 1944564

View attachment 1944566

That's why I originally questioned the buy back, I can't believe toyota would pay anything near what the vehicle would sell for on the used car market.

View attachment 1944561

View attachment 1944562

View attachment 1944563

View attachment 1944564

View attachment 1944566

You should be shunned if you let that cherry truck go.

You should be shunned if you let that cherry truck go.

I don’t argue that and question it. I do have a bit of hesitation because of how clean it is. It is kind of a double edged sword. I would use the money to finish my 100 out how I would like and put the rest towards an 80 series, but my 62 is killer too. I have not fully decided what I am going to do yet.

How I view a buyback on vehicle that a company is obligated to fix, no matter the age is that the offer should fallninline with what a replacement in the same condition would cost. Essentially, it is being bought back due to an issue that can be fixed, then there should be enough money given to equal the money me being given up. I get the age and if they weren’t wanting to do a buyback, it wouldn’t be an issue or discussion; however, they are.

Last edited:
DO NOT LET TOYOTA buy it back! A tank from Cruiser Brothers will bolt right in. Sell it to a private party, no telling what Toyota will do with it.

@Cornhusker The main reason these tanks start to leak is that the check valve in the charcoal canister gets clogged, corroded, etc and it fails to vent the tank. Pressure in the tank blows it up like a balloon and eventually the spot welds will break and you'll have a leak. If you notice a swoosh of air coming out of the filler tube when you remove the cap at the gas pump, you most certainly have a bad charcoal canister. You can simply reverse two hoses on the canister to reroute the tank venting around the check valve. The charcoal canister won't be doing it's job of filtering fumes, but it will save your tank. The hose swap deal will cost you exactly $0. Please don't sell Toyota that truck. They'll probably crush it.

@Cornhusker please don’t sell that truck back. They’ll scrap it for sure. If you need money for another build sell it to someone that appreciates it. Save a Cruiser homie!

@Cornhusker here is a link to a direct replacement 40 gallon tank
https://www.cruiserbrothers.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/LRA-TLC62RE-FS-7-X-18.pdf

Turn the tables on them. The have to replace a tank, yet they have no tanks. You have found a commercially available, direct replacement tank. You should not have to give up your truck because their tank had issues. Tell them to pay for the tank and you will replace it yourself :)
No harm in trying.

Trust me. I tried this route already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom