Official ONSC member buying/selling thread (19 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

3 times the cost glares pretty bright

I'm debating between a 100 series and a 5th gen 4runner for the wife. The 4runner would be 3 times the cost of the LC, have new technology, lower miles, and about the same cargo capacity. Any glaring reason to go for one over the other?

I'm debating between a 100 series and a 5th gen 4runner for the wife. The 4runner would be 3 times the cost of the LC, have new technology, lower miles, and about the same cargo capacity. Any glaring reason to go for one over the other?

Knowing you a little bit and your amazing fix it skills and frugality, I would put you in a low mileage 4th Gen 4Runner and claim it as the best of all worlds:

1. Cheaper than the 100 - easier to work on the suspension - best IFS design out there with swap-able (not pressed) hubs, 2-bolt on LBJs, tons of mods available, etc.
2. Also made in Japan - so a quality product like the 100
3. I personally love the 2UZ with the A750f 5-speed, which is available in all 4th Gens, no V8s in 5th Gens
4. Save on a lot of depreciation vs the 5th Gen
5. Better gas mileage than the 100
6. More rear leg room vs the 5th Gen
7. Seems to be the real "value" sweet spot in pricing as a REALLY clean later model one can be ~$15k

The unicorn is the 2009 Sport Edition with the rear locking diff . . :) - -but I think only comes in the V6.

Of course this recommendation will also open up the GX470 to the list :)

If I were looking at a 100, I'd go with the years of the 5 spd and vvti.

And when I was searching for a 100, I found a gx470, and i stopped searching for 100's. I liked the headroom of the gx over a 4r, and they were surprisingly lower priced than a 4r, with more goodies. definitely consider looking at one

whoops, sorry!

If I were looking at a 100, I'd go with the years of the 5 spd and vvti.

And when I was searching for a 100, I found a gx470, and i stopped searching for 100's. I liked the headroom of the gx over a 4r, and they were surprisingly lower priced than a 4r, with more goodies. definitely consider looking at one

I agree on the 100, but those are 2003+ and end up being quite a bit more typically.

I preferred everything about the GX470 over the 4Runner, except the rear door and air bags vs the 4runner.

Agreed. A GX with a tailgate would be very nice. I wonder if one could be fabricated. The way people build stuff now, should be straight forward. Also, at the right price point, a tailgate option for every SUV might be a business. One of the main reasons I drive a 100 is because of the tail gate.

I actually like my air bags in the rear. @little_joe hooked me up with a pair of stiffer rear springs I need to swap in one of these days.

Fabbing a tailgate is a LOT more work than it appears. Yes, it could be done, but wouldnt be worth the expense of a one off.

I've gotten used to the door, would prefer a tailgate, but thats a 1st world problem I'll gladly live with.

I also like getting 21mpg driving like my Dad on the interstate. LOL

new metal tech flyer

mt.jpg

The swing gate is a pain sometimes, but for the wife, with all the cushy leather and widgets, it checked all the right boxes. The GX is built on the 120 series chassis, has the V8, and as a whole is an excellent middle point for not a lot of $$. The airbags ride great and if they ever give trouble, (or if you want to upgrade the suspension) it is a relatively straight forward swap with the MT or SSO kits.

It is also not a big as a 100 and is a good size for city driving/parking/ etc. Prices are down and they can be had with right around 100k miles and being a Lexus, are generally better cared for than their Toyota siblings. Usually a true soccer mom or a doctor or...

When it came time for us to get something else, my wife actually sought out her GX, and we have been very happy with it.

I've been trying to convince Amanda that a nice non-nav VVTI GX would be a better long term truck for us than the fancy-pants '04 LX470 she drives now. We have had lots of trouble with the integrated Mark Levinson / Navigation on the LX. I found a couple of nice GX's and we were able to spend some time in them. She wasn't happy in the GX. The LX has spoiled her. She likes the space, quietness and overall "safeness" of the LX. Oh well...I tried. Now she wants 200 or LX570...and that's not gonna' happen anytime soon so I've been doing little things to keep her happy in the '04 for the long haul. I've refoamed all the speakers, rebuilt the calipers, new rotors, bearings, replaced some dulled badges, etc. She's right though. The GX is a nice ride if you've never owned an LX.

Last edited:
the difference in interior noise on a LX470 vs a 100 is crazy... they really upped the game on the lexus.

I thought i was hearing things, going from our 450 to the tinny sounding 80. Glad to know it wasnt just me being wierd.

WANTED: Pair of OME 863 (Heavy) Springs. If anybody has a set they would be willing to part with, let me know.

Also, Caster plates, Steering Stabilizer, Sway bar drop brackets.

I am trying to piece together a lift for my 80 because I am a cheap SOB and I like to do things the hard way. Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure I have a set of 864's don't know if that will work though. They are pretty stout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom