For Sale @ High Desert Cruisers (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

5 Cooper AT3 All Terrain tires E load rated 10 ply. 285-70-17 These are the older model of the AT3 XLT. These particular tires won the Editors Choice from The Overland Journal.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road - Expedition Portal

These tires have about 5000 miles on them and are about 2 years old. These are excellent tires, I just decided to go up in size. Four of the tires are used and the spare in new and has never been used. These tires have seen less than .10 inches of wear, the tires have been rotated twice and show very even wear. The tires by themselves with tax excluding install and warrantee was about $1279.00 I am selling them for $800.

749A14A1-1F60-4A23-B778-9F521DE0DB93.jpeg

BF3EE7A7-E080-4546-A9BA-6CE97DA15C26.jpeg

25FC7DB5-0FDB-4A23-A81C-0492CC9D7A97.jpeg

885C61C5-7ECE-4490-90EF-F62B3E5FB00D.jpeg

B5BDADD0-4BEE-4FC4-A04A-78B59DA2FC5C.jpeg

Last edited:
5 Cooper AT3 All Terrain tires E load rated 10 ply. These are the older model of the AT3 XLT. These particular tires won the Editors Choice from The Overland Journal.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road - Expedition Portal

These tires have about 5000 miles on them and are about 2 years old. These are excellent tires, I just decided to go up in size. Four of the tires are used and the spare in new and has never been used. These tires have seen less than .10 inches of wear, the tires have been rotated twice and show very even wear. The tires by themselves with tax excluding install and warrantee was about $1279.00 I am selling them for $800.

View attachment 2499998

View attachment 2499999

View attachment 2500001

View attachment 2500002

View attachment 2500003

Is the size a secret? :hmm:

those tires would look good on my 4runner but I MUST refrain from going larger. I.....................................MUST.................................................................................REFRAIN............................................................DON'T LIKE RUBBING..............................................BUT THEN AGAIN........:bang::hmm:

those tires would look good on my 4runner but I MUST refrain from going larger. I.....................................MUST.................................................................................REFRAIN............................................................DON'T LIKE RUBBING..............................................BUT THEN AGAIN........:bang::hmm:
Didn't I specifically question you about the 265's on the 4Runner, and ask why you didn't have 285's? Didn't you kneel next to your front tire and tell me the solution to this rubbing problem? I'm pretty sure that's what we were talking about. :rofl: :flipoff2: :steer:

After going to those 285's and you pull the diffs to get them regeared, I have the tool to do the rear wheel bearings while you are in there. Just sayin'.

Bigger is better!

Didn't I specifically question you about the 265's on the 4Runner, and ask why you didn't have 285's? Didn't you kneel next to your front tire and tell me the solution to this rubbing problem? I'm sure that's what we were talking about. :rofl: :flipoff2: :steer:

Not much effort to clearance the 4th gen.....

Not much effort to clearance the 4th gen.....

I've got one rabbit hole that i've been going down for years, don't need to add a second one. The V8 tows so nicely and easy to drive with 265s and a mild lift.

I've got one rabbit hole that i've been going down for years, don't need to add a second one. The V8 tows so nicely and easy to drive with 265s and a mild lift.

With that new bumper, add some SPC UCA's and nothing else needed, maybe BMC at most.

You already have what you need to make the jump. I have been running 33s on my tundra with a 2uz and 4speed. My gearing is 4.10s. You probably won't notice the change in my opinion.

With that new bumper, add some SPC UCA's and nothing else needed, maybe BMC at most.

that's a huge jump and one that requires a ring & pinion change, regardless of the V8 having plenty of power. Shifting will be off, along with the speedo and all that. Given that I tow exclusively with this rig, a jump in tire size should accompany R&P change, which as we all know is $$$$$.

What is the stock gear ratio in your 4runner?

that's a huge jump and one that requires a ring & pinion change, regardless of the V8 having plenty of power. Shifting will be off, along with the speedo and all that. Given that I tow exclusively with this rig, a jump in tire size should accompany R&P change, which as we all know is $$$$$.

Can you change transfer case gearing?

From my understanding, the transmissions shifts off of the speedo and not rpms (at least on the 3rd gens). You can get a device that plugs in to recalibrate the speedo reading and correct your shift points with larger tires. I had plans to do this on my 97 4R but never got to it. Obviously this does nothing for gearing but would make the trans happier....also as @Tank5 said you probably wouldn't notice much

From my understanding, the transmissions shifts off of the speedo and not rpms (at least on the 3rd gens). You can get a device that plugs in to recalibrate the speedo reading and correct your shift points with larger tires. I had plans to do this on my 97 4R but never got to it. Obviously this does nothing for gearing but would make the trans happier....also as @Tank5 said you probably wouldn't notice much

The 4th gen has two points of reading the speedo: one for the actual speedo and the other one is for ECU input. To date, nobody has been able to correct both inputs.

Yeah, I notice the slight change in upsizing the tires in the form of absolute crappier MPG, unfortunately. That V8 doesn't care of this upsize all that much but while towing, it DEFINITELY cares :bang: It can't hold hills like it used to. I do have a 1.5" of lift up front so that's not helping either.

My 4runner has eight ECUs and the newer 4runners and GXs prolly have a dozen ECUs. IMHO, by not changing the R&P during a substantial tire size upgrade basically "dumbs" down your smart vehicle as it can't make the proper decisions for optimum power output, drive-ability and fuel economy. I realize that fuel is currently very cheap, but we should still try to achieve the best MPG on trips as it is the largest expense on any of my wheeling trips.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom