For Chevota Owners. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Captn Conch

Life Begins Above Timberline.
Threads
My 350 Chevota ( GMC 350 out of a 78 Jimmy) would usually cold start or somewhat warm start would not start without 2 or 3 half pumps of the accelerator but occaisionally would be a bit harder to start after being parked awhile in the summer heat here in Colorado Springs at 6,000 FASL. So just for the heck of it I put in a 1" carb spacer as I thought there was a heat problem even though I use a GM aluminum intake manifold. Did it but Dang it wouldn't start cold without much cranking. I tried no throttle and then pumped it a couple of times but no go. Finally figured it out. I was flooding it. The 1" spacer was so much more efficient that to cold start I had to just barely give the throttle a minor bump and it was starting right up and running smooth. I have the electric choke on the Quadrajet. Runs better all the way around too.

My 350 Chevota ( GMC 350 out of a 78 Jimmy) would usually cold start or somewhat warm start would not start without 2 or 3 half pumps of the accelerator but occaisionally would be a bit harder to start after being parked awhile in the summer heat here in Colorado Springs at 6,000 FASL. So just for the heck of it I put in a 1" carb spacer as I thought there was a heat problem even though I use a GM aluminum intake manifold. Did it but Dang it wouldn't start cold without much cranking. I tried no throttle and then pumped it a couple of times but no go. Finally figured it out. I was flooding it. The 1" spacer was so much more efficient that to cold start I had to just barely give the throttle a minor bump and it was starting right up and running smooth. I have the electric choke on the Quadrajet. Runs better all the way around too.
Captn;
I HAD a Quadra-Junk atop a 429cid Caddy V-8 I fitted into my '74 FJ40.. The best thing I did (circa 1978-79) was to remove the Q-Jet, drop it into the nearest trash can THEN refit a new (then) Holley Replacement Carb!!.. In the nearly twenty years of daily driving, the ONLY carb issue I ever had was the Accelerator Diaphragm started leaking.. I bought a new one for (then) fifty cents and after a fifteen minute reinstall job, had no other "carb issues"! About 1994 the engine wore out around 300K miles!
Charles 1974 FJ40.

Captn;
I HAD a Quadra-Junk atop a 429cid Caddy V-8 I fitted into my '74 FJ40.. The best thing I did (circa 1978-79) was to remove the Q-Jet, drop it into the nearest trash can THEN refit a new (then) Holley Replacement Carb!!.. In the nearly twenty years of daily driving, the ONLY carb issue I ever had was the Accelerator Diaphragm started leaking.. I bought a new one for (then) fifty cents and after a fifteen minute reinstall job, had no other "carb issues"! About 1994 the engine wore out around 300K miles!
Charles 1974 FJ40.
What model Holey? I'm giving FiTech one last chance, if not pulling it and going to carb for ease of service.

I've had the Q jet for years with no real problems, rebuilt once about 10 yrs ago. I installed a Holly 4 bbl on my chevy PU 4wd but when 4 wheeling in the mountains the carb would starve on hills and angles I think that can be fixed but, the Qjet has been fine for me, now it's running better than ever even with hot starts on hot days.

What model Holey? I'm giving FiTech one last chance, if not pulling it and going to carb for ease of service.
EmanC; I honestly do not remember the model number of the Holley.. I do know, it does NOT look
like a Q-Jet, (as some Holleys I've seen did) that is HUGE secondaries and small primaries..
If I get a chance, in the next few days, I'll hobble out and look on the Carb to see if I can get the
model number.. That said, I wonder if it's still being made after forty-three years??
Charles 1974 FJ40.

I've had the Q jet for years with no real problems, rebuilt once about 10 yrs ago. I installed a Holly 4 bbl on my chevy PU 4wd but when 4 wheeling in the mountains the carb would starve on hills and angles I think that can be fixed but, the Qjet has been fine for me, now it's running better than ever even with hot starts on hot days.
I've had my FJ40 at some pretty steep inclines, both side-to-side as well as fore & aft.. AND in both cases, the angles were sustained for a fair amount of time (going straight up then down a pretty damn tall hill (I'd call it a mountain!) as well as driving "around" this "hill" at about a forty-five degree angle (yes, it WAS side-slipping!! It was also around 2am!!) The headlamps shone straight out into the blackness!! Anyway, I never experienced any fuel starvation at any angle.. Hope my luck holds ;-}
Charles 1974 FJ40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom