Footman loop placement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to add footman loops to the rear quarters for a future OEM style soft top. Can someone measure the horizontal placement of each of the three quarter panel footman loops? I found the vertical measurements in a search. Center of each from the door/ tailgate openings would be great. Or any other reasonable way to locate them.

Also, should I weld these or bolt on?

i just put them wherever it works to best hold the top on and i just screwed them in. mine are on the side above the wheel wheels toward the back. you can see them in this picture
cool blue 003.jpg

You'll get a better fit if you wait until you have the top in hand before you place those loops. Use the two-screw type. Don't weld them on the tub. The weld-on type is OK for the tailgate, though.

Can't get the measurements for you at present as my cruiser is in storage. But can tell you that the footman loops on the quarter panels should be held on by a small Philips head screw and nut. That's how mine are anyway. Sorry couldn't be of more help

I agree wait until you have the top. A question for you. Do you have the OEM corner footman loops? The three are bend different and the holes are spaced different on the three.

Ok. I am about to paint, so this would be the time to drill or weld. Were OEM loops bolted, welded, or screwed?

I have some generic loops and was planning on bending them to match the body.

its not going to hurt the paint. what i was trying to tell you is there is no correct place to put them. wait till you get the top

Ok. I am about to paint, so this would be the time to drill or weld. Were OEM loops bolted, welded, or screwed?

I have some generic loops and was planning on bending them to match the body.

OEM corner footman loops were all held on by small screws and nuts. Early footman loops on the tail were also screwed on mid sixties this switched to welded for the tailgate. Around the same time Toyota dropped the corner footman loops and used twists like the side. Probably when they switched from canvas to vinyl. For some reason Toyota went back to corner footman loops for the 72 thru 74 models both hard and soft tops.I have a couple of factory soft tops in town. could get you some pictures but I won't drill any holes if your not using the factory loops

footman loops are approx 3/4" higher on the tub than on the tailgate/barn doors...they are bolted on

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Digging deep to find pictures I see Johnny. No way to use the first one to measure from the front door on a FJ25 soft top. The footman loops on the tailgate in picture 2 are not footman loops at all but just pieces of insulated wire. That has been corrected and are now OEM footman loops. The one I planned on taking pictures of is a 73. That door measurement would be correct.

my 73 had the holes drilled in the tub already, covered with body filler.

I just measured all the ones I have. I have a set of six that came from two sources at Cruiser swap meets. Different colors, but they all match and I believe they are OEM. They are exactly 2.5" c-c.

I have two pairs of barn doors with original loops welded on. On the older pair there are 3 loops each door 2-3/8" c-c spacing. On the newer pair of doors there are two loops each and they are 2.5" c-c.

I know this is an old thread but I've got a 72 that I'm restoring and notice there are 6 footman loops on the back (3 per side). It's a hardtop and I'm pretty sure these are stock. I'd like to replace these with new SS ones as I'm doing a new paint job and the old ones are all painted over. Anyone know where I can find these replacements?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom