Font wheel bearing seals - comparison (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently finished a front axle rebuild on my 1985 FJ60.

Not all wheel bearing seals are created equal and if anyone has done or is thinking about doing a front axle rebuild , its something that ( assuming you don't brake a birf ) you will likely only need to do once.

I wont go into the details of the kit I bought or the vendor who sold it as " best quality " but I will say that one part that should be purchased separately from Toyota is without question the wheel bearing oil seals.

I examined three types of seals , the local auto parts store seal - green , the " high quality " aftermarket seal - red , and the OEM Toyota seal - metal. Without question the Toyota seal was heavier, had more steel and was far easier to press into the hub without damaging it

Both the red aftermarket seal and the Toyota seal were approximately the same thickness

They cost about 19$ each and can be ordered from any dealership. The Toyota Part number is 90311- 62001

Photo Descriptions : The green seal is the local auto parts seal, the red seal is the seal that came in the kit and the steel silver seal is the factory Toyota seal - you be the judge

IMG_1413.JPG

IMG_1414.JPG

IMG_1415.JPG

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1417.JPG

Good post with interesting info.

I will say however, I’ve used the green type seal many times with no issues.

All the seals will work, the higher quality seals are "solid" so to speak and the ease of pressing them in over the "hollow" seals is obvious ALSO the green seals are also close to the same price as Toyota and they are much thinner and need to be pressed in deeper to seat the bearing

You can get the OEM aftermarket (same as in Toyo bag) for about $8 from various dealers. Mud discounters will sell you the OE Toyota for about $14.

There definitely is diff in quality and it's not a job anyone wants to do over.

Hi, Personally I like the Toyota seals,never had one fail. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom