Follow me on the internet to Canyonlands (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

chupacabra
Threads
The truck is all packed and ready to go; headed out in a few minutes. I will be beaconing APRS the whole way - follow us on the internet at:

Location of N5MUD-9 - Google Maps APRS

It should give our last reported position within 15 minutes or so, usually faster than that. We'll see how far I can get a beacon out after we get to southern Utah. The Woodsman will be on this trip also, we will meet him and four other (non-forum) 4WD trucks in Blanding. May give some short reports on the way from my iphone if I have time and signal.

IMG_0657.jpg

Very cool, how are you doing this?

Looks like you're going 60 mph on the highway, so I don't expect an immediate response.

pretty cool is this a google/iphone only thing?

no, it should work on any web browser.

Very cool, how are you doing this?

Looks like you're going 60 mph on the highway, so I don't expect an immediate response.

2 Meter ham radio APRS. All you need is a 2M radio with a TNC (like a modem) and a GPS connected to it. The network to recieve the beacon transmits and relay them to the Internet is already set up, working, and growing.

Very cool!!!

What equipment are you using? I am at the exact point of purchasing ham, GPS, CB etc for my vehicle. I will primarily be going all through the Rockies.

Thanks and cheers!!!

Eddie

Very cool!!!

What equipment are you using? I am at the exact point of purchasing ham, GPS, CB etc for my vehicle. I will primarily be going all through the Rockies.

Thanks and cheers!!!

Eddie

I went the easy but expensive way to get APRS, bought the "plug 'n play" Kenwood TM-D710A radio and the AvMap G5 gps that is made to go with it. You can do it a lot cheaper if you're willing to put some components together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom