1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

folks, keep your gun in your pocket

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by rick_d, Aug 3, 2005.

1. rick_d

rick_d

revised

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  2. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    Wow. Poster child for the "People that have CWP's but shouldn't" .

3. LongIsland60

LongIsland60

Are you sure it was a CWP, or just a 'license'/permit to own a handgun? I don't know the MA laws.

4. Biff

Biff

what a waste, that little girl is left fatherless for nothing. I often have to remind myself, especially when I have my kids with me, to not react to idiots that do stupid things on the street. Its better to ignore people than take things personally.

5. mloudy

mloudy

"Bishop....had recently begun taking two medications for depression"

Should be grounds enough to take aways someone's guns IMO.

6. Jman

Jman

Good point. And the psychiatrist should have pursued that--not saying I know common practice, but it seems reasonable. :frown:

7. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    But that's not a quesiton asked by doctors. Here's your anti-psychotic drugs, BTW do you pack heat?

8. Jman

Jman

Not sure of the mood of your post--are you being serious? (You are a self-described Cheeky Bastard, so I can't be sure.) Aren't psychiatrists supposed to determine if their patients are a harm to themselves, or to others? Someone on antidepressants, carrying a gun? Is there some sort of rule against asking patients? I mean, don't they ask patients if they've comtemplated suicide? About whether they own guns? Is it a stretch to ask if they've had thoughts about killing other people? Or if they are equipped to do so? :confused:

Serious questions here.

9. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    when you carry a gun, you need to do ANYTHING you can to avoid conflict.......be it running, saying I am sorry, or just ignoring it. I find myself when packing that things that would before(no gun) make me pissed off(and want to fight or whatever) now are non issues, I just continue on my way.........

10. mloudy

mloudy

We work a little bit with medical records. The equipment we service has data security which makes it HIPPA compliant. One of the goals of HIPPA is "Guarantee security and privacy of health information". Not sure if the info could even be given to the proper channels to make sure he lost his ability to own a gun.

"The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), was the result of efforts by the Clinton Administration and congressional healthcare reform proponents to reform healthcare."

11. Jman

Jman

Okay, I see the conflict. But is it common for doctors to ask their patients to store guns during treatment? :confused:

12. mloudy

mloudy

Depression is common after some surgeries right? One would think this would be addressed. I sure would like to know if someone around me with a gun isn't mentally stable.

13. jford

jford

mloudy,

I can see your point, but that however, would be a violation of rights. Just because your "sick" doesn't mean you don't have the right to protect yourself. This is exactly the kind of tactics that liberals use to pry their way into gun ownership. For example, look at the former "Assault Weapons Ban." The ban covered far more things that just defined assault weapons. It's all in the verbage.

For example: I was medicated a few years back b/c I was upset that my folks were thinking about having a divorce. It had an affect on my work/school at the time. Do you feel that just because I was upset, I should be stripped of my rights? If legislation were written, this would be the case to encompass all psych disorders.

I see your point, but no. Not a good idea for America as a whole. Another great fact to look at is that 99% of all gun related crimes are commited by folks that aren't legally supposed to have guns.

14. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    Just pointing out that it's a question that is NOT asked, and perhaps should be when the drugs are prescribed.

But it brings up a whole new can of worms. As per- how you decide if a person is 'unfit' to have a CWP.

15. Jman

Jman

People lose all sorts of freedoms if they are judged to be a threat to themselves or others. Not saying you were a threat, but some people can be judged to be so by a doctor. And, people aren't supposed to drive cars while impaired. They are cautioned against operating heavy machinery while on some drugs. Why not warnings or even actions about firearms? The guy who blew away that father for no real reason obviously wasn't in the proper frame of mind to carry, but he did. So, nothing at all should be done? It's a fine line.

I don't think the "right to protect yourself" trumps all other concerns.

16. Jan-78FJ40

Jan-78FJ40

I see, that guy used his right to defend himself. He even dropped his wife off, turned around, and THEN defended himself. This was clear calculated murder, and avoidable. Personally I think that this person was not fit for a weapons permit in the first place.
    I agree with you that being on medication should not automatically mean to have to give up one's weapons. To turn this into a liberal vs. conservative argument is plain stupid. Things like this have to be evaluated on an idividual basis.

17. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    I agree that they NEED to be, but in all reality there is not enough manpower to do so at the sheriff's level (where most CWP's are reviewed). Trying to review all of the CWP's in the country, cross referenced with their last 6 months medical history would be basically impossiable.

Not until all records were pooled into one data base would this be feasable.

I for one, do not want my employer to have access to my medical records, or my dentist to have access to my emplyment history, etc. etc, etc... so a 'combined' records depository will probobly be massively rejected by the public as well.

I just don't see a good solution to the problem.

On the same token, not every patient on anti-depressants is a danger to others or can not be trusted with firearms. So- a blanket ban on CWP's for people on anti-depressants wouldn't work either.

What would work? I have no idea.

18. Jman

Jman

Well, the psychiatrist is supposed to have the patient's best interest in mind--why not at least a caution to the patient? Yeah, I know, not enforceable, but prescriptions don't have to be taken, either--maybe the patient, having been informed, would have to take the steps, and the rest of us would have to hope for the best?

19. cruiserman

cruiserman

As if taking away someone's permit is going to keep him from carrying a gun.

20. Jman

Jman

Yeah, especially if they're "not right" :D Good point.

Anyway, revoking a permit isn't what I was thinking about, at least. A request to the patient to voluntarily store firearms, maybe with a trusted third party, would be an interesting program.

I am sure, once this guy gets his head straight, he's going to really, really regret blowing that dad away. :frown: Maybe he would agree with me at that time? Who knows.