Folding Camp Kitchen (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have any input on these bad boys?

The :princess: sent me this link: REI Camp Kitchen at REI.com

Not sure how I feel about it stability wise, but given the price and the fact that a camping trailer is nowhere in my immediate future, I'm thinking about picking something like this up.

I'm assuming they can be had for cheaper than REI. (REI is local to us, but I have issues with some of their prices...)

Thoughts?

(I'll also add that space is precious, and my fab skills are... lacking. At the end of the day mama says she wants a camp kitchen, so I guess I'm looking for real world reviews/better suggestions!)

Pics from REI:
1461050.jpg
c1c3f214-78b6-4eac-88a7-0ed566629b86.jpg
7fb284bb-5f07-4347-90c0-bb1abe93bfcb.jpg

It is a cool little set up. Heavy sucker though. I dont expect the red wind screen to last. It is pretty light weight metal. I got mine with the 20% off coupon and thne noticed it had been marked an additional 15% off for a blemish. Wife and I looked it over and didnt see anything that I would expect after it's 1st use. One note, the side tables look like they are metal. Do not place hot items on them. We were cooking over a hot fire and set a pan on one of them and it warped it some. No biggie but now I know.

your right, they can be had for cheaper, and REI doesn't always have the greatest prices. With that said, we bought one of these last year after looking at many of the other "cheaper" models. REI's version is pretty kick ass. The center accommodates my huge 3-burner stove without the use of the wind screen.

Nice... I appreciate the insight fellas. I'm thinking we'll end up grabbing the REI one (hopefully on sale!) because it does seem to be a bit sturdier than some of the lower level Wally-World types.

I'll tell you what I like about this apparatus(sp?). It gives the :princess:'s something to do while we're drinking and making big ass camp fires. One thing I've noticed about :princess:'s is they like to have something to do so they feel involved. If not, they get stir crazy and start finding things to nag about. So, if for no other reason at all, I say get this to keep 'em busy. Nicely played Sir!!!:cheers:

I have the Cabelas one I bought for camping season '08, and it is pretty nice.
I outfitted it with two stackable plastic cases to hold the pots, pans, silverware, ect.

There is a review of it with links in my camping gear review thread in this section.

8.jpg

20.jpg

However this will be the last season I use it probably, I am switching over to a chuckbox kitchen setup.

I went to cabelas last weekend and went for the gusto, I picked up the big one they had there.

It's pretty big and sturdy. I'll have to report back when I break it open.

-Juan

Here is the setup I purchased last weekend when we made a pilgrimage to Cabelas:D

It sets up and breaks down in about 10 minutes.
IMG_5006 (Small).JPG
IMG_5019 (Small).JPG
IMG_5021 (Small).JPG

I have to say..I had the Cabelas and it was dream!! I never used the underneath storage units but the rest was out of this world...made cooking fun!!

I'm not even sure I would know what to do with that thing. Might have to go on a month long camping trip to use it all. Of course I'm always looking for a reason to stay out in the woods a little longer. Nice purchase.

Here is the setup I purchased last weekend when we made a pilgrimage to Cabelas:D

It sets up and breaks down in about 10 minutes.

We have the same set up, tested it out over memorial day weekend and it worked perfectly. Very happy with the design and construction, much better than prepping your meals on flat rocks!:cheers:

Jim

I have something similar, perhaps not that large but I just don't have the room in my 80 to accommodate it! The dog eats up half the rear cargo area so no way I can fit one of those bad boy back there! Nice purchase though.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the REI kitchen. Like others, I use the big Cabela's kitchen. It's heavy and bulky, but setup/breakdown are simple. It's great when doing big camping and feeding a large group.
IMG_0653.jpg

REI no longer sells that model, but I have seen the exact same thing at Sportsman's Warehouse in PHX. I have one of those Cabela's units and it's really heavy and cumbersome

The answer is here: "The :princess: sent me this link:". So that's all the feedback you really need.

I like simple. A simple folding table like this REI one packs flat.
shopping.jpeg

All important, the cross bars near the ground. You can pile big rocks on them for stability, and so it doesn't blow away in the wind. I have two sizes. One like pictured. But favored is a smaller single piece one (all you really need to keep a stove off the ground.
I have a mega Coleman kitchen, it always stays home.

Last edited:
The answer is here: "The :princess: sent me this link:". So that's all the feedback you really need.

I like simple. A simple folding table like this REI one this packs flat.
View attachment 2166283
All important, the cross bars near the ground. You can pile big rocks on them for stability, and so it doesn't blow away in the wind. I have two sizes. One like pictured. But favored is a smaller single piece one (all you really need to keep a stove off the ground.
I have a mega Coleman kitchen, it always stays home.
^YUP^

We watched a campsite neighbor spend nearly an hour setting up their grand Coleman Kitchen, while we unfolded a couple of tables, unpacked the truck, set up the tent, and were sitting in hammocks drinking beer watching the entertainment.

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom