fog lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hate to ask such a lame question, but I need to get some fog lights before the snow gets thick. I've looked at PIAA ($$$$), KC Slim lights, and Hellas. Anyone have opinions or recommendations on these, or any others?
thanks,
randall

smokethedog said:
I hate to ask such a lame question, but I need to get some fog lights before the snow gets thick. I've looked at PIAA ($$$$), KC Slim lights, and Hellas. Anyone have opinions or recommendations on these, or any others?
thanks,
randall

You might even like the OEM Toy ones that Mot sells on this forum here. Lots of people have bought them and I know that lots of people are very happy with both the products and his service.

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

I'd do a little searching around, but from what I've read, a lot of guys like the Light Forces, IPFs and PIAA. Not necessarily in that particular order of course.

Depends really on what you want to use them for.

I have both lightforce 240's not really for fog more for driving and IPF fog lights. IPF makes a great light I really like them. I think the number for mine are 630 RV gold lens, they also make a version with J-beams IPF j-01. I have had bad luck with piaa, hella--they were the micro's they corroded in 6 months time and hella would not gurantee them--on the other hand I hit a tree with my Lightforce lights and they sent new ones no questions asked :) So in short for driving lights Lightforce and for fog lights IPF

beno said:
You might even like the OEM Toy ones that Mot sells on this forum here. Lots of people have bought them and I know that lots of people are very happy with both the products and his service.

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

:crybaby: :D

-onur,

You'll be receiving a diecast Mega Cruiser in the mail soon. :rolleyes:

If you want the OEM-look, then you can get OEM fogs, but if you don't care (which probably is the case here ;) ), then you would be happy with any of the reputable manufacturers' fogs. You do want the fogs and not the driving lights, right?

Many say that with fog and snow (and rain), you can see better with yellow/amber light than clear. You do not want to get very powerful, bright lights in foul weather.

Also, you would do better if you can mount them low (relatively speaking here). There are different types of fogs/lenses on the market: multi-reflector, free-form, lens texture/cut(?), and projector. However, if you get a set of good fogs with any design, they should serve you well.

Since you have an ARB you could get bigger fogs, but that should not be totally necessary (unless you plan on using them even when the weather is not bad to assist your low beams).

I have a new set of IPF's in Brigham City but the lenses are for driving lights and not fogs:frown:

Good luck with your search! With anything, searching is the best part of shopping. ;p Enjoy! (Sorry Brian :D )

Mot :)

Another vote for the IPF J01 driving light/fog light combo. I love mine. The have great driving lights that really do a good job of filling in the sides and reaching out farther down the road. I have definitely seen would-be roadkill in time to slow down with these babies.

I haven't had much chance/need to use them as strictly fog lights, but they look like they'll be great. My only concern as a fog light goes is that they are mounted so high up (ARB + 2.5" OME lift). I know you ideally want a true fog light mounted as low as possible on the front of the rig, but they might be fine.

alkaline,

You can see what's been available here

It's not current, but hopefully it'll give you an idea about what's been available, as well as what can be had. I still do have some of them.

Anyway, HTH.

Yours,

Mot

Auxiliary lights are like tools. In that respect, you need to identify the intended use or need the light must fulfill. Otherwise it's kinda like saying "I'd like a tool - which ones do you guys thing I should have?"

Also, the other thing to identify is your budget. No point in recommending Hella HID pencil beams if your budget is $89, for instance. And no point talking about micro crap lights if your budget is $300.

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
Auxiliary lights are like tools. In that respect, you need to identify the intended use or need the light must fulfill. Otherwise it's kinda like saying "I'd like a tool - which ones do you guys thing I should have?"

Also, the other thing to identify is your budget. No point in recommending Hella HID pencil beams if your budget is $89, for instance. And no point talking about micro crap lights if your budget is $300.

DougM

Bad day at the office Doug? :D ;)

Actually, you have a set or two of Hella's, right? No problem with your reflectors?

Mot :)

[Edit]
OK Doug, I've just read your post in the "extra lights" thread. ;)
[/Edit]

Last edited:
Mot,

No, really. I'm not the least upset - just trying to help efficiently. I've watched "which foglight" threads go on for days before the original poster finally got around to saying "I want a light that will penetrate as far down the road as possible and I can only spend $89 what do you guys think of the chrome ones at Pep Boys?".

No problems with anything on the Hellas at all. For 153,000 miles they turn on every time I flick the switch, turn night into day, and I've overpowered them with 100w bulbs with nary a hiccup. The only thing I've broken was a mount when my older brother got fiesty one snowy day in his Audi Quattro and started a push fest at a slippery intersection. (OK, so we were both about 40 when this happened if it sheds any light on the 4 Miller boys - 2 of whom are on this forum). Unaware I was pushing him around with my left foglight and his trunklid spoiler, a day later the mount simply let go while driving around. Fortunately, I noticed it quickly and the mount was only a couple days and few bucks from Hella.

Anyhow, some specifics on the desired light would quickly narrow and someone here probably has been wearing a set of the ideal lights for years already.

I've been thinking about adding a third Hella in the middle with a Euro-beam (basically a long distance high beam type pattern). We've got a road trip coming up Thursday and it's sitting on the shelf now for about 8 years. Oooh, I'm starting to feel the testosterone flow already......mmmmmoooore LLLUUUMMMMMMEEENS!!!!!! Heh...

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
Anyhow, some specifics on the desired light would quickly narrow and someone here probably has been wearing a set of the ideal lights for years already.

Good point!

IdahoDoug said:
I've been thinking about adding a third Hella in the middle with a Euro-beam (basically a long distance high beam type pattern). We've got a road trip coming up Thursday and it's sitting on the shelf now for about 8 years.

You can never have too much light! :D

IdahoDoug said:
Oooh, I'm starting to feel the testosterone flow already......mmmmmoooore LLLUUUMMMMMMEEENS!!!!!! Heh...

You mean adrenaline? ;p

Mot ;)

I think I've been on many of the same threads that Doug mentioned. ;)

One comment on the Lightforces -- since I have them on my rig :D -- is that you can buy colored/tinted covers for them -- blue for snow, yellow for fog, red for night-time snipe hunts, etc.
They also have a combo lens cover that provides a spot and flood capabilites. The covers simply snap on. I like multi-purpose/multi-tasking lights :D

Are you looking for a brand-name or would you be happy with some generic-no-name, but functional lights?

What's your fog light budget? The max you're willing to spend on lights, wiring, switches, etc. ?

I appreciate the feedback on this. I have hella micro de's on my wifes 4rnr, which have corroded again and need to be replaced again. That pretty much turned turned me off from looking at the Hellas.

Right now it looks like the IPF j01 are what I am looking for. Mostly wanted them for fog/snow, and also to use as driving lights. I didnt know IPF had the combo light available. Looks perfect for what I am wanting.

thanks,
randall

Perfect example. Now at the end of the thread, Randall wants lights to use for fog/snow (this means a short 750 foot wide beam pattern) and also driving lights (this means 2000 foot or more totally different high beam pattern). IPFs it is, as these are two different applications entirely. We started with fog lights only, so clarification pays off.

DougM

Hey Doug,
I apologize for not being more specific. At the start of this thread, I was primarily looking for fog lights to use in blinding snow storms. I planned on using the fog's for driving as well as needed, even though they werent really "driving lights". Thanks for steering me in the right direction. The IPF J01's are in the mail.
randall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom