Foam Party (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello everyone,

The other day I was driving my Cruiser and put the defrost on high. When I did that, little black pieces of foam shot out like confetti. Thousands of little pieces of foam were now all over my lap, dash, seats, and floor.

I would like to think my Land Cruiser was throwing a little party for me, but i am a little more realistic than that. I found this foam a little troubling and i am now afraid that i have a mouse in my garage who made a nest in my truck's HVAC system. Has the black foam shower happened to anyone else here? Is it possible that a foam seal or filter deteriorated to fine little peaces resulting in the confetti party? I did my quick search to try and find similar problems, but my search turned up fruitless.

Thanks for your help

Foam may deteriorate and crumble, but it doesn't usually do it all at once. The only thing I could that might do that is is a piece of foam became dislodged and then got caught in the fan blades.

Since it suddenly appeared en masse, I think your supposition that it was a mouse seems well-founded.

I would suspect your deteriorating foam seal hypothesis is correct. I have had the stuff fly out of my vents, never to the point that I would consider it a full on confetti party Though. But I have also seen rodents fill HVAC systems with garbage. Is the stuff charcoal in color?

I would suspect your deteriorating foam seal hypothesis is correct. I have had the stuff fly out of my vents, never to the point that I would consider it a full on confetti party Though. But I have also seen rodents fill HVAC systems with garbage. Is the stuff charcoal in color?

some might consider it a dark gray charcoal color.

I dont turn the fan on high very often, so the foam may have been in my vents for a while tumbling around. It is possible that the foam bits may have been in the duct a while. When I cranked the fan on high mode, the air moving through the ducts reached a cleaning velocity shooting the foam out.

It may have been chewed up by the fan. That is very possible.

Oddly enough I had the same thing happen to a jetta when I was in Hawaii. In my case it wasnt a mouse. It was termites. Same end result. Still a critter.

some might consider it a dark gray charcoal color.

I dont turn the fan on high very often, so the foam may have been in my vents for a while tumbling around. It is possible that the foam bits may have been in the duct a while. When I cranked the fan on high mode, the air moving through the ducts reached a cleaning velocity shooting the foam out.

It may have been chewed up by the fan. That is very possible.

Yeah, sounds like dried out factory foam insulation.

Better than termites, Yikes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom