FNG to FJ80s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks, I am a FNG (Newbie) and I need some help understanding my FJ80. Its a 1991, with 128K miles on it and we are in Anchorage Alaska, where its freakin cold.

My problems I am concerned about right now...

First my windows don't seem to work so welll, they barely go down and I have to help them go up...any suggestions?

Last, my driver side knuckle has oozed out grease...is this something I need to fix immediately and how hard is it for a shade tree mechanic

Thanks
Mikke:ban:

Welcome :flipoff2:

We've had some cold weather here as well. Lucky for us it doesn't last to long. My driver side window will get stuck when it is real cold (10°-15°). I can get it down but then it gets stuck half way up. Looking forward to hearing what the boyz have to say about this one.

Good Luck :flipoff2:

Welcome :flipoff2:

When my window got so hard to wind down it pulled out of the rubber that holds it to the mechanism way down in the door, I just gave the channels/rubbers a good dose of WD40.

Probably not the most legit fix about, but it's still working 6 months later and it got me out of the poo!!

As for your second question, the front end is nothing really hard if you have a manual and a little bit of mechanical savvy. Most front end Q&A have been adressed here at one time or another. If you use the search function you will find huge amounts of help.

Welcome... same here on my 91fj on the windows I just dont put them down when its that cold.

FNG, eh? Are you a current or ex-military guy? My dad was a 3 tour Nam guy and he's help on to that one to this day. I always get a chuckle out of FNG. Anyway, good luck with your 80, sorry I have no help for you, but welcome aboard.....
:flipoff2:

Welcome! :flipoff2:

Check out the FAQ thread at the top of the forum -- tons of great information.

The window issue is not uncommon. Some have had good results with graphite/silicon lube to the rubber. I ended up replacing the rubber on mine (a little spendy).

Front axle service is typically one of the first projects new owners take on -- doable by the :banana: mechanic, and typically ignored by PO's. If you're not clicking when turning, you can probably squirt some grease in each knuckle and wait for spring.

Hello FNG,

If you search HDJ Windows (no different then the FJ) you will find out some very valuable info.

My windows were slow so I took the door panel off, cleaned the contacts and lubricated my window rubber (the vertical portion of the sliders) and now it works great. It is a very basic fix.

Hope that helps

Bitehard

Welcome!

Good to see another Alaskan on the site. My 1993's window has a rough time when it gets cold too. We have been at -40 the past couple of days and I dont even bother trying the windows. It does sound like you need to do some knuckle rebuild fun. So do I, my FJ-60 and 80 both need it. Stay warm.

TK

my knuckles were oozing a bit, like you I wanted to wait till spring, made sure dif was topped up and kept an eye on it. regardless, bearing failed and tore up my spindle and birf. ended up having to do a lot more in the unheated garage anyway. food for thought. welcome.

{FNG, eh? Are you a current or ex-military guy? My dad was a 3 tour Nam guy and he's help on to that one to this day. I always get a chuckle out of FNG. Anyway, good luck with your 80, sorry I have no help for you, but welcome aboard.....}

Yeah i am still in the Air Force almost 15years...(F#$%'n New Guy)

Thanks Ya'll for the info, guess I am waiting for construction weather in Alaska

JUST MAKE SURE YOUR FOUR STUDS AND BOLTS under your oozing knuckle are all there and tight. If they are not DO NOT DRIVE IT....your wheel could come off.

This almost happened to us and CruiserDan on MUD made the diagnosis. Check those studs and nuts on the bottom of your knuckle. 4 each side. 2 of ours broke off and the other 2 that were left were loose by an inch.

:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom