F'n emissions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ive never failed before, but the day has come. what the hell causes the failure? ive been wanting to send my carb off to Jim C, and also do a full exhaust upgrade. would those mods help the test? and if so, what exhaust would yall recommend? im guessin a 6-1 header would be nice too...

I'd say the first thing you need to do is mention which bits failed. That'll probably lead to better advice. :)

Also, there's some tips on the back of your emissions "report card" on what the different readings can indicate, aren't there? It's been a while since I looked at one of those things.

General advice: tune-up, check your vacuum hoses and everything else for leaks, check that the smog pump is still spinning and pumping, blah blah blah... :)

H.C. "hydrocarbon"=4.0012
CM "carbon minoxide"=64.3029

only ones i failed. i bet its the cat or exhaust. im looking at upgrading this anyway.

Sean -
Vac hoses 1st if you haven't done them.
Check the cat - should be lots hotter at the exit than the intake. If you need one, I recommend catalyticonvertors.com
Finally, get a bottle of Bardahl All-U-Need & follow the directions.
Worked for me on my '83 (stock).
My '91 Audi just failed for the 1st time today. I'll check the cat tomorrow.

Last edited:
I thought that high HC was more likely related to the EGR system not functioning? But don't listen to me, my smog pump is a shell!

The EGR is there to reduce NOx, not HC.

High CO and HC are most likely due to a weak or nonfunctional air injection system. The cat is part of the AI system. If there isn't enough air being pumped into the exhaust stream, the cat can't do its job. You may need to replace the cat but first you need to make sure that the smog pump is pumping and the array of valves directing the pump output are working. Its a PITA but really the only way to pass the test. The OE emissions book walks you through the procedure to test everything.

so, by talkin to Ron @ Rocky Mtn. Cruisers, were guessn its a carb issue. ive already planned on sending my carb to Jim C "FJ40guy", but im also taking my rig down to AA Performance Muffler and Break ("Russell") to make sure i dont have any other issues. were going to look at replacing the cat, if needed, and putting a free-flow exhaust in. thks for all the help! -sean

Zack -
Bardahl Mfg. Corp., Seattle, WA - bardahl.com

1st used their "All-U-Need" on my '85 pre-Taco & it worked great.VThen on my stock '83 FJ60. Gonna do it again on my '91 turbo quattro 20V once I check the O2 & cold-start sensors & the cat.

Lots of good advice on how to fix it for real. To fix it good enough to pass lean out the carb, advance the timing and pull the vac hose off of the T on the PCV valve. Just might pass :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom