FML, shackle angle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ElHefe

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.austinlwright.com
Just had a hell creek suspension put on and my shackle angle is as bad as it gets, straight up and down. The truck looks awesome, but my wife can't handle the bouncy bounce ride with the new springs. Any helpful suggestions?

Throw a bunch of bags of cement in the rear and go for some mild offroading a few times. The new suspension needs to settle in.:beer::beer:

Throw a bunch of bags of cement in the rear and go for some mild offroading a few times. The new suspension needs to settle in.:beer::beer:

Agree, It will settle with some wheeling. Angle will increase wit a little time.:cheers:

Straight up and down is as bad as it gets?

This was my Hell Creek lift in the front when I got it:

shackle%252520angle%252520resize0001.jpg

I'm sure you'll get responses like, "that never happens", "Hell Creek has the best shackle angle ever", "I've put on hundreds of those lifts and have never seen anything like that", etc. I had to cut off my shackle hangers and relocate them to make it work. The rears were slightly better, so I thought I would see if they would sag and give me a little better shackle angle. So far, its been 5 years since I put the lift on, and they are still vertical. I've been on multiple wheeling trips, camping trips with lots of extra weight in back, and I've even tried flexing it out over night. Nothing has helped the rears sag. Not the best ride ever, but fixing the front made a big difference. If you feel like driving the rig around with a few hundred extra pounds in the rear, it will really help the ride. But, to this day, its still a bit rough compared to my other 40 with an OME lift.

Good luck!

:cheers:

FF LC FREAK said:
Straight up and down is as bad as it gets?

This was my Hell Creek lift in the front when I got it:

I'm sure you'll get responses like, "that never happens", "Hell Creek has the best shackle angle ever", "I've put on hundreds of those lifts and have never seen anything like that", etc. I had to cut off my shackle hangers and relocate them to make it work. The rears were slightly better, so I thought I would see if they would sag and give me a little better shackle angle. So far, its been 5 years since I put the lift on, and they are still vertical. I've been on multiple wheeling trips, camping trips with lots of extra weight in back, and I've even tried flexing it out over night. Nothing has helped the rears sag. Not the best ride ever, but fixing the front made a big difference. If you feel like driving the rig around with a few hundred extra pounds in the rear, it will really help the ride. But, to this day, its still a bit rough compared to my other 40 with an OME lift.

Good luck!

I guess I'm lucky by comparison. That looks terrible. What did HC say about replacing them?

Also, should have mentioned that the springs were a used set that I picked up. I'm hoping that throwing the hard top back on will smooth it out a bit. Ideas for the front?

I hope my gauge is lying but it looks like 13.5 MPG has gone down to 6-7.

FF, just finished reading your thread. I'd be frustrated as h*ll if that happened to me with a brand new set, but you seem to have made the best of a bad situation.

The 5125s are looking great and improving the ride over stock, but I would still prefer a smoother ride for the lady of the house. Heck, I enjoy bouncing around... for now.

PS, FF, love the wheels.

FF is this a pic of your rig?

ForumRunner_20120708_214920.jpg
ForumRunner_20120708_214920.jpg

Agree.:beer:

ElHefe said:
Also, should have mentioned that the springs were a used set that I picked up. I'm hoping that throwing the hard top back on will smooth it out a bit. Ideas for the front?

I hope my gauge is lying but it looks like 13.5 MPG has gone down to 6-7.

So, your lift killed your mileage? Did you add bigger tires?

Weight and repeated flexing is your friend.
Make sure your shackle bolts are not so tight the shackle and spring can't move.
Good luck

Well, I think I found the culprit for the ridiculous MPGs. I had a pinhole leak in my tank and had to remove it and put it on its side. After fixing the leak and reinstalling the tank, I put in 6 gallons of fuel. I didn't notice that my gauge was acting funky until I noticed that those 6 gallons took my tank up to the 3/4 mark from empty. Controlling for that, my MPG is roughly the same as before.

Kept the 33" Claws, but I want to step up 35 ATs as soon as I can snatch some FJ Cruiser steelies and spacers.

Hi All:

Is theis the fronat or rear shackle angles?

How many leafs in the spring packs? Removing a leaf from each spring pack will reduce the load capacity of the spring, making it less "stiff."

Regards,

Alan

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just had a hell creek suspension put on and my shackle angle is as bad as it gets, straight up and down. The truck looks awesome, but my wife can't handle the bouncy bounce ride with the new springs. Any helpful suggestions?

Josie'sLandCruiser said:
Hi All:

Is theis the fronat or rear shackle angles?

How many leafs in the spring packs? Removing a leaf from each spring pack will reduce the load capacity of the spring, making it less "stiff."

Regards,

Alan

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, Alan. I think taking out a leaf might help, but on Tuesday I'm going to flex out the opposite corners simultaneously using some ramps. Hopefully that will help the springs stretch out.

FF LC FREAK said:
Yep, that was me several years ago.

I have had that picture saved on my computer/phone for a long while. I'm hoping I can keep the 40 for long enough to take my kids out in it some day too.

Hi All:

Frankly, I doubt this will help much in the short term.

Removing a leaf from the spring packs will reduce the effective spring rate, and allow the spring leaves to "settle." You can always re-install the removed spring leaves to "firm-up" the spring packs.

Good luck! Remember, a SWB Land Cruiser will never ride as smoothly as a modern car or cross-over SUV. But, the Land Cruiser is an entirely different beast! :D

Alan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, Alan. I think taking out a leaf might help, but on Tuesday I'm going to flex out the opposite corners simultaneously using some ramps. Hopefully that will help the springs stretch out.

You're definitely right Alan. This 40 will never ride as smooth as my 60 used too. That beast was a tank. But with the 5125s, the ride is much improved over stock.

So, did your shackle angle issue ever get resolved?

Thanks,
ML

So, did your shackle angle issue ever get resolved?

Thanks,
ML

It was starting to settle, but once it is at Grant's shop the suspension is going under the knife. Can't until I have the green backs to fund the dream fixes to my suspension woes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom