FM Modulator Install

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by slick621, Aug 9, 2005.

1. slick621

slick621

Media:
    Albums:
    I am in the process of installing a hardwired FM modulator for a XM Delphi SkiFi radio (the older one not the SkiFi 2). I have read all the threads on FM modulators but I cannot find the answer I am looking for.

The instructions say to connect the power wires to a 12V power terminal. The terminals on the wire are a female and male connector. What do I connect these to? I looked around the fuse block in the engine bay and the interior but could not find anything that looked like it would accept the male and female connector. When I searched for 12V power terminal, all I got was threads on auxiliary 12V cigarette lighter accessory plugs.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Travis

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  2. elmariachi

elmariachi

Clip the male off up inside the clear cover where it comes out of the female and then splice the male pigtail into a wire from a hot source, THEN plug it into your female. Same for the black I would guess.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2005
  3. chip7238

chip7238

Honestly, I would just forget about the connectors - just snip the wire close to the existing connector and use a butt connector with some heat shrink tubing to run an extension to your power source (if you need extra length on the wire). I did not see a fuse on the + (red) wire. It is VERY important to have a fuse within 10" or so of the place you get power - that way a short won't mess things up. You can cut the black wire short and find a good ground near the module mounting point - use a multimeter to check.

Chip

4. slick621

slick621

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks guys! I didnt know if there was some magical connector behind a fuse box somewhere.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.