Flywheel goes round and round..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wedge your fingers

Wedge your fingers in there to keep it from moving.

Or a piece of wood if you value your hide.

IMPACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J.R.

I just put a screwdriver through the bellhousing "windows" and it fits into holes on the flywheel. Wedged it and took the flywheel off.

JRFJ4- said:
Wedge your fingers in there to keep it from moving.

Or a piece of wood if you value your hide.

IMPACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J.R.
That is so damn funny I think I peed myself. I wish I had thought of saying that first. ;p

Thanks guys. Ill make sure to wedge my fingers...... errrr.... I mean a piece of wood in there.

Let me second the use of an impact wrench. It's tightening them that is a major PIA. You have to hold the screwdriver wedging the splines and work the torque wrench at the same time.

Fingers/Impact

I would personally use the impact, but I did mention about using the fingers first.

I still like the fingers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I just grabbed my flywheel last week when I had the torque wrench on it.

:cheers: J.R.
76 FJ40
350/SM465/NP205
Dana 60/14 Bolt
Buggy Leafs, beadlocks 39.5 tsl/boggers

I 5th the use of an impact. That's how I got mine off. You can buy a flywheel "wrench" thingy to hold it too. Looks kind of like a screwdriver with a second leg hinged off of it. Hooks onto two teeth. A buddy of mine bought one from snap on years ago. I think he used it once.

Just for s***s and giggles I bring this to your attention.

Any s***ty autohouse will have the ever elusive ------ Flywheel holder
There are 2 kinds , one you hold a lever with a hook that is kinda like a giant oil filter wrench and the other you bolt to block and it has teeth that engage the ring gear and hold flywheel.
If you think those are tough try removing the flywheel nut on a 30 year old VW or Porsche , fawk , V8's are a cake walk......

FYI: Make sure to put some RTV/sealant on the threads when putting the flywheel bolts back on...or you may find a leaky when all said and done. :cool:

FJBen said:
FYI: Make sure to put some RTV/sealant on the threads when putting the flywheel bolts back on...or you may find a leaky when all said and done. :cool:

Or elsa you will have to use your fingers again

Cat Scan said:
Hey Cruiserdrew,

Ahhhh, aren't you up to three hands already at that point, plus wood piece? Hmmm, I better go back and count again!

CS

That's pretty accurate, but my fly wheel is in along with a brand new Toyota clutch, and H55f transmission!

To do this, I removed the starter, stuck the screw driver through the starter hole, and torqued those flywheel bolts into place.

I have a tool that holds and/or turns the flywheel. Lisle makes one, but I think I just found a cheapo one at the auto parts store. It's a little tricky holding the flywheel tool with one hand and torquing nuts with the other. It's still got a high knuckle skinning factor.

I had a VW Bug once that the gland nut for the flywheel was on so damn tight, I broke 3 1/2" breaker bars before going to 3/4". I had to put a 6 foot long piece of pipe on it and have somebody stand on the motor and me bounce on the cheater pipe to get it to break loose. Wasn't a bit of threadlock on it either! I figure with me weighing 180 pounds that that's about 1080 foot pounds of torque on that sucker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom