Flywheel and clutch for H55F conversion on an FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I need to double check part numbers, but I saw in my shop last night I still have a new clutch and a (needing to be resurfaced) flywheel that Georg @orangefj45 sent along when I bought my H55F from him. Are these also the same flywheel and clutch that get used in FJ60s that came with the 4spd, or did the 3FE use something different? I'm searching around just in case the flywheel I have is too rusty to be resurfaced and used in the conversion. Be cool if I can source a lighter weight flywheel. Free up a little bit of power.

This is going off the assumption that the 3FE's flywheel used with the A440F will not work with an H55F conversion. Correct?

any 2F flywheel is what you want, could be from a 40 or 60 series.
the US 3FE flywheel is a flexplate and doesn't work with a clutch.
if georg sent it for an H55 it is what you need.

any 2F flywheel is what you want, could be from a 40 or 60 series.
the US 3FE flywheel is a flexplate and doesn't work with a clutch.
if georg sent it for an H55 it is what you need.
Oh yeah, flexplate. I should've remembered that. Ugh, it's been a long day.

I'm sure the parts Georg sent are the right parts. I'm just not sure if the flywheel is still usable after sitting in my shop for 8 years and letting rust seep in. The clutch sent was a Luk clutch, but I'm thinking I'll just go ahead and order the 10-spline Centerforce clutch for the conversion.

LUK is a good clutch.

I have a vague memory that on some 3FEs you may need to open up the bolt holes on the flywheel. That may be a faulty memory, but Georg will know.

You're going to have the flywheel resurfaced anyway, so the rust will not matter.

LUK is a good clutch.

I have a vague memory that on some 3FEs you may need to open up the bolt holes on the flywheel. That may be a faulty memory, but Georg will know.

You're going to have the flywheel resurfaced anyway, so the rust will not matter.
Yeah I just read in a couple threads that Centerforce is actually not recommended for towing, which I may or may not be doing when I eventually get a 4x4Labs rear bumper, and found out that Luk is actually one of the OEMs along with Aisin, so yeah I'll stick with the Luk. I think it's brand new, too, so not worried about having a worn clutch put in.

you might want to open the box and make sure the preasure plate isn't rusted after that many years. it may need a lite sanding.

you might want to open the box and make sure the preasure plate isn't rusted after that many years. it may need a lite sanding.
Good thought. Maybe just hit it with a 90-degree air grinder with a scotch brite disc to take off any surface action?

For details, check out my Post #5 here:

Good to know. My 62 is an 88, so early 62. Good to see that bolt and bolt hole differences won't be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom