Flying to Central America. Driving back to USA. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll be interested in seeing what the experienced people have to offer.

For myself, as a true Gringo, I'd stay the heck out of Central America or Mexico in any vehicle. Not being able to speak the language, not having any idea what sort of laws or lawlessness to expect (by the police), I no longer have that gnawing of an adventure gene.

Surprised to see this attitude in this forum, where I thought by nature of the topic most people would be well traveled.
I have lived and worked all around the world but I am from South America. I can tell you from experience most people doing the sort of trip you’re planning through my country are foreign. I once helped a couple find “agua” as this was the extent of their Spanish vocabulary. Their modes of transportation range from bicycles to 7 figure MAN expedition campers. To get to where I am they have crossed all of Central America. I can’t say that they haven’t run into any problems but I am sure you’ll be able to figure it out.

To answer your question:
For my country, foreign license plates do not get subsidized fuel prices and their car themselves have a “visa” which is 3 months. So if you’re passing through, you’ll be fine. If you fall in love and decide to stay, you’ll need to drive to the border every three months and turn back around to stay legal without having to register it.

Fuel wise: diesel is usually more available, and less dangerous to transport if you decide to fill a tank to bring with you in an emergency.

Just found this article on Hagerty about importing a car into the USA overland (i.e. driving it across the border). The writer is importing from Canada, but the process should be the same (entering the USA) regardless of your country of origin.

Have you read - and re-read, the NHTSA rules and EPA regs on vehicle imports? Just because it is over 25 years old doesn't mean that you can import whatever you want.

In addition, it needs to be deemed roadworthy at the border. Will it be?

Quite frankly, I'd be concerned with driving ANY used vehicle that I don't know the history of 5000 miles. Most of the ones you'll be looking at will be held together with baling wire and chewing gum. You really think you can find a mechanic down there that you can trust to do an inspection? Will you bring spare parts?

Thanks @gilmorneau all great information

@Mr Cimarron I had planned on flying down to handle purchase and paperwork, storing the vehicle somewhere (mechanic, attorneys office, storage unit??), and flying back down to pick up titlework from attorney once it came in weeks later, then starting my drive. Does this sound realistic? Would I need to be there for the title to come in? I assume if I was paying an attorney they could hold papers for me when they arrive. And what things did you need to do before you had yours road worthy?

@ceb Clearly this is a huge undertaking for a 40+ year old car, and I'm not dumb enough to purchase a vehicle I didn't think would get me home one way or another (although I've done it before). Most vehicles in my price range *appear online* to be in very good condition, clean, original, and well taken care of. I am not interested in pretty paint jobs, original dash pads, or chrome accents. I am strictly in the market for original, mechanically sound, lowish mileage (but who really knows), and rust free. More interested at what the undercarriage looks like than the body.

I am well aware that I could be flying down to costa rica only to kick abunch of tires and fly home with a sun burn and my tail between my legs. Driving rusty worn out cruisers around costa rica, drinking imperials , and flying home empty handed still sounds fun to me! I'll make a few friends either way, and know better the next time.

As far as finding a mechanic yes, these are basic cars, labor is incredibly cheap, and the people are incredibly nice. The finding a mechanic question has come up multiple times already, but the truth is you cant trust any old mechanic in america either so you ask around.

Thanks @gilmorneau all great information

@Mr Cimarron I had planned on flying down to handle purchase and paperwork, storing the vehicle somewhere (mechanic, attorneys office, storage unit??), and flying back down to pick up titlework from attorney once it came in weeks later, then starting my drive. Does this sound realistic? Would I need to be there for the title to come in? I assume if I was paying an attorney they could hold papers for me when they arrive. And what things did you need to do before you had yours road worthy?

@ceb Clearly this is a huge undertaking for a 40+ year old car, and I'm not dumb enough to purchase a vehicle I didn't think would get me home one way or another (although I've done it before). Most vehicles in my price range *appear online* to be in very good condition, clean, original, and well taken care of. I am not interested in pretty paint jobs, original dash pads, or chrome accents. I am strictly in the market for original, mechanically sound, lowish mileage (but who really knows), and rust free. More interested at what the undercarriage looks like than the body.

I am well aware that I could be flying down to costa rica only to kick abunch of tires and fly home with a sun burn and my tail between my legs. Driving rusty worn out cruisers around costa rica, drinking imperials , and flying home empty handed still sounds fun to me! I'll make a few friends either way, and know better the next time.

As far as finding a mechanic yes, these are basic cars, labor is incredibly cheap, and the people are incredibly nice. The finding a mechanic question has come up multiple times already, but the truth is you cant trust any old mechanic in america either so you ask around.
For a road worthy truck I changed tires, brakes, suspension, tie rod ends, complete fluid and filter change.

Here's my take on this.

I flew to Denver and drove my current Toyota pickup almost 1000 miles home. This was a truck that had an extensive amount of work done by another member and I was still a little hesitant to do the drive. Turned out just fine and was an excellent trip.

Obviously you know that most of the FJ's you find down there are going to have been worked hard and put away wet. So prepare for the worst. Buy as many spare parts as you can afford to bring/ship down there that you can think of. Get a set of tires, shocks, tie rods, fluids, radiator, driveshaft u-joints, floor jack and a decent toolset (I personally prefer the Pittsburgh 225 piece toolset. It's what I carry myself). It would also be a good idea to bring some wire, straps and some electrical crimpers/connectors because god knows what you'll need to do to get all the lights working and legal. Worst case scenario, you end up needing all of these and then some. Best case, you use none and you got spare parts for down the road. Either way it's an investment and a wise one to make at that. I also think you're better off renting something and driving down there if you have all the parts rather than trying to fly with them or ship them. Not only will you make sure you have your parts, but you'll get a good feel of the way you're going to go back home.

I personally believe you can do this (adventure wise). I'm a little hazy on the importing laws but I SA/CA cruisers get brought in all the time. So much so that we have to look out for them when we're buying cruisers nowadays. Plus I've seen the Roadkill guys take things that haven't run in decades and take them halfway across the country, so I think it's definitely do-able. But your best two assets are knowledge of the vehicle and it's common problems and the tools and parts to fix it when it goes down. Bringing a buddy is a wise move too as you'll be safer in a pair and you'll have someone who speaks the language. As said before, that is invaluable.

Look into the import laws and call around. There's a couple of importers on this forum that can help you with the legality aspect of it.

I say if you can take the time, are willing to invest the money in the parts and can get the knowledge you'll need to keep you on the road, then there's no reason you can't do this. People have done crazier things. But you need to be well prepared for what you're doing and understand the risks of it. Map your route and take roads that aren't in an open strech for 100+ miles. Make sure there's gas stations along the way and towns you can stop in if you need help.

Lastly, be very picky with the cruiser you get. At the very least do a compression test (if you're going after a gas) and check for blow by if you're going after a diesel. Make sure you think it can get home. If you have the slightest doubt, walk away from it and look at another one. With any cruiser you check out try to drive it for at least 30 minutes and seriously look over the gauges (if they work) and look for it's quirks. Make sure you find one that you're comfortable driving home in, and go in with the knowledge that you might NOT find a cruiser that fits what you want. Be okay with flying back or renting a car or something. Definitely have a return ticket booked too in case things go south. Taking a loss and leaving your cruiser in the middle of nowhere is a small price to pay for a safe ride home.

I definitely think it can be done, and if you're up to it, count me along for the ride. Would absolutely love to see you do this.

-Will

Oh and also, PM me a picture of your F100. I love those trucks!

man, I see gringos travel through Mexico in questionable looking rigs, albeit mechanically sound, at least demonstrated by the fact that they're on the road for weeks if not months at a time, looking for similar adventures such as the one you peruse. Putting things in perspective, you will not be driving highway speeds most of the time on your way back, as roads are not designed for that, so the rig you choose will keep up with that easily, provided the drive train is in decent shape and you replace some key parts before you star the drive, as mentioned before (steering links, tires, brakes and such). Let's not forget we are talking about one of, if not THE most durable and tough vehicles on earth.
I have also seen people buying those same imported vehicles already in the US, and then driving them hundreds of miles home. On the freeway.
As for the "safety" issue, you seem well educated and traveled to fall into the "it's zombie land" once you cross the border mindset. There have been 150 mass shootings in the US this year alone, so the odds of you finding real trouble along the way are not higher than the ones you'd find around the corner from your place. Having said that, if you find some snags along the way, they will be mostly paperwork and red tape, which can be avoided by doing your homework beforehand.
I'd say do it, plan ahead, take your time finding the rig you want, live the adventure you seek and if you find yourself near San Jose del Cabo, hit me up and I'll show you some kick ass surf spots, in my fj40 which by the way has traveled most of Mexico, from Cabo all the way to Canada and back, looking for surf spots and has only needed some basic repairs along the way.

Get a transport permit from your state online once you enter the US and drive on that. Most states will give up to 10 days you just put your entry or start location and your home destination and apply.

Any updates on this ?

Curious how this planned out as well. I considered this option, as the cost of trucks looks very appealing when searching South America. I picked up my “restored” 43 for a cool $6800 USD. Given I considered driving it back, but the road doesn’t stretch the entire way from bogota, and the lack of time on my end, I opted to have it loaded on a ship.

I have an attorney on the ground that I was working with who offered to handle all the paperwork, purchasing, registering (as you have to be registered in the Colombian database to have the purchase in your name). He charged $1500 although I gave him $2000 in the end because the paperwork took a total of 6 months between all the steps and arranging a shipment. There was roughly $500 in ancillary fees.

The export itself cost me $1000 to get the truck from Bogota to Cartagena. From there it was $5260 for the actual shipment. Insurance was calculated into this, which I will get to momentarily. The brokerage on the US side was $1300 plus a $105 customs exam fee. Customs was a joke, and the truck even arrived with an opened 2 liter bottle of water from Colombia. The 4 extra wheels however did not arrive.

I went down to Houston to pick up the vehicle and was billed another $50 for a container cleaning due to “oil” the truck had leaked. Somewhere in the process, the rear axle had been cracked and back left wheel was seized to the frame. Add another $300 to get the truck transported up to Austin.

Once here it went to a local Japanese auto mechanic where we replaced both front and rear axle, repaired all the wiring that was ripped in transit underneath the vehicle, installed 2 new driveshafts, brake flush/work, linelock as there is no true parking brake on the truck, and a tune up totaling out at $7725.

So that sweet deal at $6800 now has me in at $25k. Given it’s no $80k restores 43 or an fj company cruiser between 150~200k, it’s still not as sweet a deal as I initially took it to be. Am I happy with the truck? Sure. Was it restored? Hardly...however whoever rebuilt the engine did it correctly and there’s not a single drop of oil coming from it, and it runs strong getting up to 70mph.

In reality, trucks from down there are pieces together to keep them on the road. Think my 2F is actually out of a 60, and I know the split T case is.

All that being said, keep in mind that “restored” means something different to everyone. Best of luck if you are still contemplating this endeavor.

Would also love an update on this. Just bought an HJ60 here in Nicaragua, and when my wife and I leave (2-3 more years) our plan is to drive it back to the states. @4bo4 if you do this trip and find yourself in the Matagalpa, Nicaragua area (or just wanna surf on the coast) let me know!

For anyone curious I never made the trip (surprise.) I got out of commercial banking, and got a great job in residential construction. I've been building houses for the past two years and am happier than ever with the career change. I am starting my own company, working for myself, and now I am thinking about my FJ45 trip again. I have the ability to make my own schedule and take time off whenever I would like, which is the #1 reason the trip never happened 2 years ago. Now I am fluent in Spanish, and have great connections in Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala, and Mexico. In the past two years I also managed to buy a frame off restored 1981 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler for an absolute steal. (probably the closest thing to an FJ45 out there) I am planning on selling the Jeep to potentially fund the purchase of my FJ45 trip. The good part is my budget went from $8k to $25k allowing me to purchase a clean example that is more road worthy. FJ/BJ prices have risen in Costa Rica since I created this thread. Decent examples are going for $7500-$10k now, but they have risen here in the states exponentially as well. Clean FJ45's now are going well into the $50k range not even US spec. Thats a nice safety net to have when I explain to my soon to be wife why I want to buy from Costa Rica. Anyways for now I am searching encuentro24 every week looking for the right truck, making as many contacts in Costa Rica as I can, and planning a surf trip down there to take a look around. Taking it one day at a time. The dream is still alive.

For anyone curious I never made the trip (surprise.) I got out of commercial banking, and got a great job in residential construction. I've been building houses for the past two years and am happier than ever with the career change. I am starting my own company, working for myself, and now I am thinking about my FJ45 trip again. I have the ability to make my own schedule and take time off whenever I would like, which is the #1 reason the trip never happened 2 years ago. Now I am fluent in Spanish, and have great connections in Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala, and Mexico. In the past two years I also managed to buy a frame off restored 1981 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler for an absolute steal. (probably the closest thing to an FJ45 out there) I am planning on selling the Jeep to potentially fund the purchase of my FJ45 trip. The good part is my budget went from $8k to $25k allowing me to purchase a clean example that is more road worthy. FJ/BJ prices have risen in Costa Rica since I created this thread. Decent examples are going for $7500-$10k now, but they have risen here in the states exponentially as well. Clean FJ45's now are going well into the $50k range not even US spec. Thats a nice safety net to have when I explain to my soon to be wife why I want to buy from Costa Rica. Anyways for now I am searching encuentro24 every week looking for the right truck, making as many contacts in Costa Rica as I can, and planning a surf trip down there to take a look around. Taking it one day at a time. The dream is still alive.
I have some cousins in Escazu near San Jose that helped store and help sign documents in that side to import my BJ40 and HJ45. I know it’s a little different to what you are talking about, but I’ve imported 2 trucks from CR to the USA by myself. If you need help with that end, I am happy to help.

I have some cousins in Escazu near San Jose that helped store and help sign documents in that side to import my BJ40 and HJ45. I know it’s a little different to what you are talking about, but I’ve imported 2 trucks from CR to the USA by myself. If you need help with that end, I am happy to help.
Hi @Pura Vida ! Could you help with some tips? I'd really appreciate it. I am about to purchase a one-owner BJ 40 from a former neighbor in El Salvador. I am currently living in the US but I am planning to bring the vehicle here.
- Would you be able to share what shipping companies did you use to bring the vehicles.
- I am trying to understand how much taxes are paid once the vehicle gets here (US). What is necessary to demonstrate proof of the value of the vehicle.
- What elements I should make sure the vehicle has to be able to pass inspection and drive it from the port to my house.

I'd appreciate if you could share your experience!
Many thanks!

Hi @Pura Vida ! Could you help with some tips? I'd really appreciate it. I am about to purchase a one-owner BJ 40 from a former neighbor in El Salvador. I am currently living in the US but I am planning to bring the vehicle here.
- Would you be able to share what shipping companies did you use to bring the vehicles.
- I am trying to understand how much taxes are paid once the vehicle gets here (US). What is necessary to demonstrate proof of the value of the vehicle.
- What elements I should make sure the vehicle has to be able to pass inspection and drive it from the port to my house.

Many thanks!
I can imagine El Salvador is pretty similar in terms of costs to Costa Rica, but there will definitely be some different steps because they are two different countries

1. I used an export company called Ecatrans. Usually they are really helpful, but I had to go with another company to export my 45 during covid. I used Ecatrans to export my 40 though.
2. Taxes shouldn't really be an issue. it is a 2.5% tax for any car except trucks (like the 45 series). I got away with only paying 2.5% on my 45, but other have run onto trouble and had to pay 25% tax. A bill of sale with the amount paid is really all you need for this
3. I would recommend getting it shipped on a car hauler rather than try and driving it home. The B motor is very very underpowered, and it will definitely have some shotty modifications or fixes in order to keep it running since OEM parts are scarce and expensive. It will most likely get shipped to Tampa or Jacksonville, and a long trip from there up to NC will be very hard.

Overall, I spent about 4k in everything-that includes export costs, shipping from Costa Rica to USA, Florida to NC and other taxes and fees that came up along the way, and doing it myself took about 3 months of time.

Many thanks!
Also, another note with driving it home, I have had a lot of trouble with the cooling systems in both the vehicles I have imported from Costa Rica. Most trucks run water through the cooling system, and use a lot of parts on the car that were not originally designed as car parts. I had to replace the radiator in one, and all the tubing and other bits in the other car. They are both reliable but neither would have made it driving from Florida to NC.

I can imagine El Salvador is pretty similar in terms of costs to Costa Rica, but there will definitely be some different steps because they are two different countries

1. I used an export company called Ecatrans. Usually they are really helpful, but I had to go with another company to export my 45 during covid. I used Ecatrans to export my 40 though.
2. Taxes shouldn't really be an issue. it is a 2.5% tax for any car except trucks (like the 45 series). I got away with only paying 2.5% on my 45, but other have run onto trouble and had to pay 25% tax. A bill of sale with the amount paid is really all you need for this
3. I would recommend getting it shipped on a car hauler rather than try and driving it home. The B motor is very very underpowered, and it will definitely have some shotty modifications or fixes in order to keep it running since OEM parts are scarce and expensive. It will most likely get shipped to Tampa or Jacksonville, and a long trip from there up to NC will be very hard.

Overall, I spent about 4k in everything-that includes export costs, shipping from Costa Rica to USA, Florida to NC and other taxes and fees that came up along the way, and doing it myself took about 3 months of time.
@Pura Vida thank you so much for sharing the details of when you exported with Ecatrans and recommendations about driving from Florida to NC! I really appreciate it! I looked at their service but unfortunately, they only work from Costa Rica. I have found two potential transportation companies from El Salvador. I will explore how would that work. I just had a couple of questions:
1. When you did all the process yourself, did you have to translate the bill of sell to English and do you have an example you could share with me to use a reference?
2. While in the US, did you go to Florida to do all the paper work and then put in a hauler?
3. Do you remember the company you used in that occasion? (Since it would be almost the same journey for me, that would work great to being it to Winston-Salem)
4. Is there an additional documentation you need to be able to get it out of customs here in the US?

Would you mind if we connect of-line to talk a little bit more about it? I could share a zoom invite/WhatsApp call if it's okay with you.

Many thanks @Pura Vida !

@Pura Vida thank you so much for sharing the details of when you exported with Ecatrans and recommendations about driving from Florida to NC! I really appreciate it! I looked at their service but unfortunately, they only work from Costa Rica. I have found two potential transportation companies from El Salvador. I will explore how would that work. I just had a couple of questions:
1. When you did all the process yourself, did you have to translate the bill of sell to English and do you have an example you could share with me to use a reference?
2. While in the US, did you go to Florida to do all the paper work and then put in a hauler?
3. Do you remember the company you used in that occasion? (Since it would be almost the same journey for me, that would work great to being it to Winston-Salem)
4. Is there an additional documentation you need to be able to get it out of customs here in the US?

Would you mind if we connect of-line to talk a little bit more about it? I could share a zoom invite/WhatsApp call if it's okay with you.

Many thanks @Pura Vida !
Do you have whatsapp? I’ll PM you my number

That is great @4bo4 !! That is the real dream! If you need anything in El Salvador I have an extensive family and would love to help if needed!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom