Flying to Central America. Driving back to USA. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice thread, i have always wanted travel in SA in a 45 but all that changed after getting married, etc. Anyhow, I have driven my fj40 in Mexico 15 years ago. I would not dare go now with the Narco episodes they have now. They will charge you a fee as you drive into Mexico, sometimes they will take your vehicle from you. Anyhow, I was pulled by the federales. They wanted to see the 40. Lol. I was lucky that was all they wanted. I travel 12 hours into Mexico. Some of the highways were terrible. On one curve I most did not make it. Take the toll road if you have an option. The trip was a success the only issue I had was the headlights stop working on the back and by then was already 2 hours in Texas. Reseated some connectors and fuses and they started working agian.
I have purchased several Land Cruisers here in the states. Its hard to take what you need when you fly there. So I usually take the minimum tools and hard to find items. Tape to seal the doors(seals dry rotted)incase its too cold or rainy, Tow strap, flashing emergency lights gloves,, etc., all can be purchased. Or least make list of what will be and purchase them when you there. Be prepared. If you really feel uncomfortable get a triple A membership. If out of the country may consider buying insurance. And for the 5,000 I would rebuild the alternator and starter, belts, hoses etc.

I will say bribes are common, they want certain documents. On one trip to Monterey they wanted a carfax. Yes a carfax. I sat there for a couple of hours until they gave up and gave me the proper documentation needed to drive in Mexico or at least that how I felt. I usually scan whatever documents I have in my possession before I travel send it to my email just incase they get lost. I also take pictures of the documents on my phone. Make extra copies and get them notarized. They usually want copies so then you end up in another line just copies and back to the original line.

I will say your best way to travel is find good friends you can trust. They know the best places for most everyday things if not they know someone. And not all taxis are equal, keep your possessions out sight. Always ask questions about the area when you get to your destination before you leave the airport....especially if it is dark outside. Stuff happens.
Follow you locals advise about the do's and don'tsile traveling thier area. It may not if you don't listen but better to be safe than sorry. Have fun, be smart, and in general most people are good people.

Remember this one time in Baja when I was trying to take the ferry to the mainland. Forgot what office, but that officer (?) wanted me to pay the cost of a call to the US to verify something important about the vehicle... in cash.... sigh didn't want to miss the ferry and not much time left... 2x sigh

then when I get to the ferry the guy at the door says "no more room" but of course anything can be arranged, right. 3x sigh Oddly, I talked to a higher up and he let me on.

don't believe everything you see on tv, it's for entertainment purposes only, specially that narco thingy.
I live in Mexico and there are thousand expats living here, maybe the more adventurous kind, but they're everywhere, by the thousands.
I have some US neighbors who moved here decades ago and they seem to be fine, they're now in their 70's.
I we listened to the news, the US seems like a daunting place as well, with all the shooting happening, at malls, at schools, at home, children shooting children, cops shooting blacks, karens loosing their minds with their mask mandates, people walking around with a chip on their shoulders, armed and drugged and the list goes on.
I know better and I take that with a grain of salt.
I haven't visited the US in a few years, but I honestly, I doubt things are the way are portrayed on the news.
I have family in Chicago and hey tell me it's not really the way it seems from the outside.
anyway, be adventurous, take calculated risks, live life

My grandpa used to be a Texan. Married a latina, moved to Mexico for a few decades, his first language switched from English to Spanish and he is more Latino than Texan now lol. My dad is Mexican from Mexico City

don't believe everything you see on tv, it's for entertainment purposes only, specially that narco thingy.
Don't want to start a tit for tat post, I love to travel, I have been to a lot places around the world because of the type work I do. I would say Mexico has lot offer and a lot of fun. People are friendly. I will say this narco/cartel thing is very serious and can turn deadly quickly. I have first hand knowledge, it is true they may pull you over and ask for a fee and they are not your local police. You pay them and they will give you a receipt so the next group or their friends won't ask for a fee a second time. Just show them a receipt if you get pulledover again. I'm not sure what triggers these stops. Does not happened to everyone but they do happen. Beware and have a little fund set aside just incase. This is just one thing they do. It's been well documented on both sides of the border.

Last edited:
there is undoubtedly much hype in the news about how dangerous some countries are and much overgeneralization, but it would also be silly to deny that corruption at the street level is endemic in many central and south american countries. One needs to be able to negotiate (!) that down there. I suspect it may get especially interesting if one needs paperwork to export vehicles.
As to driving around, I have been known to carry some extra cold beers in the truck just in case...

Just giving you guys an update of the current situation in Mexico. This is from my experience. I take super 10 dump trucks, big rigs, and most type of big equipment to El Salvador to be specific. When I cross Mexico, I have to travel as a "transmigrante". Which means we get shaken for money by everyone who can try to take advantage. Much different when I travel back as a tourist.
On my last trip, which was about 2 weeks ago, I did not pay one cent in bribe money. I did not see one federal on the road. Only national guards. They are in white chargers and are overall more helpful.
I brought my turbo diesel 80 last year which I owned and stored in El Salvador. I crossed without a hitch but do remember that paperwork must be filled out correctly at a Mexico entry point. If any of you do go as tourist across, pay the vehicle fee. It will be reimbursed and an exit point. It can be for as little as 7 days or more. Your vehicle can be impounded. Make sure when exiting to get an inspection.
México is beautiful and currently it is safe for tourists and as before mentioned, take the toll roads if just going through.

20201031_130949.jpg

I've been fleeced by corrupt CA/SA cops. It was expected.
If $10 or $20 greases gears, saves you time and makes situations go smoothly, so be it.
The alternative is far less appealing.
Fact is; they probably need that money more than you do.
At the end of the day, this is the best way to get out of a situation. And on another note, don't be arrogant. Be humble and you will make friends that will give you a helping hand. Like I mentioned earlier, I did not see one federal or pgr, but they have radio's and they would just wait.

Just found this article on Hagerty about importing a car into the USA overland (i.e. driving it across the border). The writer is importing from Canada, but the process should be the same (entering the USA) regardless of your country of origin.

This article makes its seem so easy and straightforward. Is it not as states?

This article makes its seem so easy and straightforward. Is it not as states?
I shipped 2 cars and let me tell you, registering the vehicle is a pain. The DMV has 0 clue what to do. (At least that’s what it was like in North Carolina)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom