Flying to Central America. Driving back to USA. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new to the forum so please go easy on me!

I am interested in buying an FJ45 in Central America and making the long drive home to Charleston, South Carolina. There are plenty of threads regarding importing via container/RORO, plenty of travel threads regarding driving the PanAm Highway, and plenty of threads regarding expats buying vehicles in CA, but none regarding driving a purchased vehicle home, hope this helps someone other than myself.

I am 26, not married (yet!), and quitting my 9-5 job. As a last hurrah before life gets too serious I would like to take some travel time and do what I enjoy most: working on cars, traveling and surfing. Planning to purchase a mechanically sound FJ45 in Costa Rica (or Panama) and taking three weeks to drive home. My questions are:

1. Has anyone made this sort of trip before?
2. I understand title transfers in countries are different everywhere, which country is best to shoot for?
3. Will I need a customs broker at Texas border? or can I handle importing by myself?
4. Once imported into states do I need to trailer the vehicle home on U haul?
5. would a gas or diesel variant be preferred for this distance? Anything particular to be aware of when buying for a trip this length (other than the obvious maintenance)
6. New insurance requirements in every country?
7. Any reliability that the cars I have found online for sale (Encuentra24) will be around by the time I can get down there assuming I have contacted buyer? or Should I plan to just fly down and figure it out once I've landed?

To be clear, I am a good shade tree mechanic having restored multiple 70's ford 4x4's, wranglers, and 2 stroke motorcycles (This would be my first toyota!) I am a capable traveler (road trips through north africa, baja, and costa rica), I speak a good bit of spanish but certainly not fluent. I have delt with imports briefly with Indian TukTuk's. Lastly, This would not be a get rich quick scheme! The trip is half the fun for me, why spend $5000 on shipping/importing fees when I could spend $2500 on a dream trip.

If you have read this far I am truly grateful. Thank you for any and all help!

I'll be interested in seeing what the experienced people have to offer.

For myself, as a true Gringo, I'd stay the heck out of Central America or Mexico in any vehicle. Not being able to speak the language, not having any idea what sort of laws or lawlessness to expect (by the police), I no longer have that gnawing of an adventure gene.

TonyP is right, born and raised in Kentucky I have seen worse situations right around the corner! I look forward to the adventure, and keeping a big smile and an open mine can take you almost anywhere. I need help with the specifics, I am well aware it is a crazy idea

I’ve done a bit of homework on this recently. It looks hard but not impossible.

This is not 100% relevant but does go through the paperwork requirements. How to Permanently Import Your Car to the U.S. from Canada

I wrote out a big long thing you mentioned CA and I assumed you meant California, I’ll leave it below for other forumites. This probably doesn’t apply in South Carolina

one thing which you might not realize until you get here (and it’s too late to address) - make sure it only has a single VIN - that all stampings match. It’ll be easiest by far if it still has the dashboard VIN, but either way you’re probably going to need to take it to CHP for “verification”.

And another thing is CARB. Just because a 1975 or older car does not need a smog check does not mean it’s legal in California. Registering an NON-USA, out-of-country, or "Grey Market" car in California
So find yourself a 1967 or older, or 75 or younger and budget for some serious additional work if it doesn’t meet EPA standards for the year of manufacture.

Also, if it’s set up as a truck not an SUV, you could find yourself paying 25% not 2.5% duty (Chicken Tax).

It is funny you meniton the chicken tax. Many 45's I have come across have been set up as flatbeds or a make shift dump bed. It certainly makes that truck look more industrial. It there any rhyme or reason to how they decide the tax? Is it based on model/style or is it subjective to whoever is holding the clipboard?

@SNLC could give you the best info since he did the Central America trip ( up to Panama ) several times ..

@SNLC could give you the best info since he did the Central America trip ( up to Panama ) several times ..

It is a long ass drive in a 100-series. To do it in a clapped out CA 45-series to me would not be fun.

You know David, you think one of those old farm trucks is up for that? Even after $5k in repairs? They are Land Cruisers but everything has its limits.

Mexico is big and long and has zero parts for any Cruisers.

I am not saying don’t do it but, in a clapped out old beat down farm truck. Good luck!

Forget Panama, Nicaragua as well. You can’t exit those countries with the vehicle unless you are the minimum a resident. I have no idea on CR.

Cheers

@SNLC How many Km's did you average a day? I was planning on hoping to average 350 or so, allowing plenty of time handling borders.

@SNLC How many Km's did you average a day? I was planning on hoping to average 350 or so, allowing plenty of time handling borders.

Some days 800 and some days 200.

From Panama to Texas is minimum eight very long days. That’s 12+hrs a day.

Cheers

not done this myself but it seems to me that the two main issues would indeed be sufficient reliability of the vehicle to drive it back without nightmarish or costly breakdowns; and paperwork once here. The trip itself and the driving could be fun but I would not do it if time is of the essence. I'd plan for a month.

With Costa Rican plates can the car still be driven in the states once imported? Or does the car need to be registered in the US after being imported? Surprisingly after every import article I have read this question has yet to be clearly answered. Plans will certainly change if i need to trailer the car back to south carolina from the Laredo, TX border.

One would think that if you formally import a vehicle, that would include the need to get local registration and plates. Otherwise what would be the point of formally importing it?
As to being able to drive it in the US with foreign plates without importation, I would guess that should be possible for only a limited time and maybe even needing some sort of caution to prevent sale in the country, maybe a carnet of some sort. Otherwise that'd be a major loophole.
[above purely conjectural...]

You know David, you think one of those old farm trucks is up for that? Even after $5k in repairs? They are Land Cruisers but everything has its limits.

I'm a coward for long drives .. I would not do it .. but I have friends who would love the idea ( in a 80 or superior series .. )

It is funny you mention the chicken tax. Many 45's I have come across have been set up as flatbeds or a make shift dump bed. It certainly makes that truck look more industrial. It there any rhyme or reason to how they decide the tax? Is it based on model/style or is it subjective to whoever is holding the clipboard?

The rule is that if a vehicle was "primarily designed" to carry passengers, you pay 2.5%. If a vehicle was "primarily designed" to carry cargo, you pay 25%. All pickups are primarily designed to carry cargo in the eyes of the US Federal Government. Some SUV's and/or vans with fold down seats and large cargo areas are technically subject to the 25% tax also. Most 4-door, 4 or more passenger vehicles with seatbelts for all passengers are going to be 2.5%. That said, in ambiguous cases, the rule is often loosely applied, and your results may vary depending on how you fill out the paperwork and "who is holding the clipboard". Prepare to pay 25% and be stoked if you only need to pay 2.5%. The "chicken tax", BTW, is based on the sale price as listed on the Bill of Sale.

With Costa Rican plates can the car still be driven in the states once imported?

Probably, for a little while (a "reasonable" amount of time for you to get to your DMV). I drove a 1987 BJ75 Troop Carrier on French license plates from the port in Newark, NJ through CT, RI, and MA with no unwanted attention from law enforcement. I wouldn't do it without insurance, though. Very bad idea. And, if it had been feasible, I would have gotten a temporary plate from my local DMV (that varies from state to state--Massachusetts, as I found out, doesn't have such things, and neither does New Jersey. For the drive back to my home in Colorado, I got a temp from CO sent to me in MA through the mail.)

Sounds like a fun road trip if you have LOTS of time and access to tools and spares.

@gilmorneau That is great information. I have driven plenty of vehicles home without plates after purchasing them, some across state lines without issue (or insurance now that I think about it, oops) As far as tax goes that will be very interesting because most 45's are set up for farm use (I prefer the 45's, but any wheelbase in the right shape/price is on the table.) I may have to jump through some hoops or make some adjustments before getting to the border.

This trip is getting longer and longer for me which is concerning. I will have to push further west into mexico to find a reasonably safe path to the border, If you want a good scare read up on "Mexican Highway 101" heading to the Brownsville border where I originally had planned, the most direct route for me.

My plan so far will be:
1. Locate a mechanically sound, rust free-ish, 40 series in Costa Rica (Easier said than done)
2. Contact owner, possibly contact lawyer/intermediary to help buying process
3. Get cruiser checked out by local mechanic if possible
3. fly down to handle title transfer via lawyer, handle all paperwork, send papers off to San Jose
4. Find a place to store the vehicle (storage unit, lawyers office, mechanics lot, friends of friends possibly, suggestions welcome)
5. Fly back home, work, wait for paperwork to arrive at lawyers, compile border documents, import documents, insurance etc.
6. Once official title work has arrived, give my two weeks, quit my job, book a one way ticket to Costa Rica
7. pick up vehicle, strap down surfboard and head north, then the fun begins.

Did I miss anything?

Million dollar question: Will the cruiser make it 6000km without catastrophic failures (major seals, valves, transmission, gaskets etc) While I am happy to spend 3 weeks to a month working my way home, the thought of spending two months in central Mexico stuck waiting on parts to arrive makes my stomach turn as I have obligations at home (a serious relationship, a dog, two rental properties)

Thank you for letting me air my concerns

I have driven plenty of vehicles home without plates after purchasing them, some across state lines without issue

I've done it too, but the thing is, even though you probably won't get pulled over for having the "wrong" plates, if you DO get stopped by law enforcement for something else (speeding, lane change without signal, non-op taillight, anything), the story might change and quickly. Probably not likely enough to worry about within the USA (most policeman will understand you just bought it and are taking it home if you have a Bill of Sale), but you need to be aware of it. Strictly speaking, you should get temp or transit plates.

That said, driving across state lines within the USA is a very different thing than crossing international borders. You'll have at least, what, 5-6 border crossings before you reach the USA? You have a LOT of homework to do. I strongly suspect that you'd fail at some point if the car was not registered to you, in your country of residence. Most border crossings will require copies of your title/registration. It's not clear to me from your initial post--are you planning on registering the car in CR before setting off? I'm assuming so since I don't see any way to register it in the USA without the vehicle being present. If you can do that (i.e. register it in CR), it seems more likely you'll succeed. You'll still need to go through the import process at the USA border, but if the car is over 25 years old and registered to you, it shouldn't be awful.

I may have to jump through some hoops or make some adjustments before getting to the border.

If by that you mean that you'll modify the car so as not to be liable for the "chicken tax", that's probably a no-go. The tax isn't based on how the vehicle is configured by you, the owner, but how it was designed and built by the manufacturer. So if you buy a cargo van, and bolt some seats into it, you still have a cargo van, and pay 25%. In short, it's not up to you.

Did I miss anything?

Lol....yeah, about a thousand things, but you're young--you'll figure it out along the way. :)

Will the cruiser make it 6000km without catastrophic failures?

I think I speak for everyone here when I say that we can categorically and emphatically guarantee, without reservation, that a beat, flogged, bodged, 40 year old Toyota Landcruiser, that neither you or we have ever seen; the history and condition of which is totally and completely unknown to us; will, without fail and in plush comfort, with the utmost convenience and no manner of delay, carry you to your final destination without fail or bad consequence of any kind.

Or not. That's why they call it an adventure. 26? Effin' go for it! But keep a return ticket in your pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom