1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fly standby? or last min flights

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by TLCA_Paul, Jul 30, 2005.

1. TLCA_Paul

TLCA_Paul

So here is the deal. I could posibly get a job in Vegas on Monday Morning. so what would be the best way to get there from Ohio? I have heard of flying Standby, but don't know how to do it.

The big plan was to finish the job I had now, the go there to run the hammers and work the Sema Show. But now this welding job is starting me thinking I could use the money. Then maybe pay everything off and a trip back to Europe to snowboard.

Yea it's a hard life being one of Those guys.

The bad. If I take the job I got to quit mine. that could screw up my unemployment status, ecspecialy if I don't pass the XRay weld test. and it's hot in vegas.

The Pro. 3 times what I am making now!

2. TLCA_Paul

TLCA_Paul

Nobody has flown last min??

3. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

To fly standby, go to the airport and ask to get put on the list to fly standby. Might call the airline first to make sure it's not already overbooked.

When you go to the airport, you can get on the standby lists for as many carriers as you like. The earlier you get there, the better. The way it works id your name is put on the list. If there are three seats that are not sold, the top 3 people on the standby list get offered the seat. Thus the reason why it's important to get there early and be #1 on the list....

Also, remember, you'll have to find a way to get back, too. that's the disadvantage of flying standby: you never know exactly when you are going to leave until about 20 minutes before the plane pushes back from the gate.

Another option is to call a travel agency and see if they have any flights that were purchased as a package that were not sold.

ANother option is for your Dear Uncle Toivo to die, and you need to get to his funeral right away, and you've heard about special fares for family emergencies??? ;)

Fred

4. archie

archie

Speaking from the limited experience of working in a travel agency, I believe you'll still spend alot of money going standby by just going to the airport. The airlines makes alot of money off of business travelers traveling at the last minute that's why they have discounts on advance purchase tickets. If you travel standby expect to still pay alot just like any other business flyer.
    Flying standby is usually reserved for non-revenue type of flyers such as employees, family of employees,deeply discounted travel related associates of the industry and people who missed their flights.
    Best to see if you can get a carrier that doesn't have too many expensive advance purchase requirements such as Frontier Airlines, Southwest, ATA.If there are vacation package companies that run charters (rented aircraft) out of the cities you are willing to fly out from, then see if they got empty seats which they are selling cheap at the last minute. I flown to Vegas from the Chicago area in summer for less than 200 bucks round trip.
    Beyond that, still expect to pay alot because you are traveling last minute and in the middle of the summer to a vacation destination. good luck and tell us what price you get.

5. brian

brian SILVER Star

what type of job?

i can do x-ray........

6. trainrech

trainrech

My recent experiences in flying is that many, many flights are being overbooked. My kids were on their way here from Munich and got bumped just today. IMO, standby isn't what it used to be.

7. TLCA_Paul

TLCA_Paul

Yea standby still wanted me to pay full price. So I didn't leave today. The job it looks like is 4 to 6 weeks. so by the time I pay travel expenses I wouldn't be making enough for the trouble.