Fly Rods - Interior Solutions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I use my 1969 FJ40 for fly fishing up into the mountains (rough 4x4 "roads"). I don't mind uncoupling my fly rods for travel but I prefer to not have to break them down all the way and put into their protective cases. Has anyone found or made a good solution (like interior roof clips, etc.) without having to drill holes into the side walls or roof? I am the original owner and have kept everything like it was in 1969 and prefer to keep it that way. Thanks for any proven solutions or ideas!

Last edited:
I use my 1969 FJ40 for fly fishing up into the mountains (rough 4x4 "roads"). I don't mind uncoupling my fly rods for travel but I prefer to not have to break them down all the way and put into their protective cases. Has anyone found or made a good solution (like interior roof clips, etc.) without having to drill holes into the side walls or roof? I am the original owner and have kept everything like it was in 1969 and perter to keep it that way. Thanks for any proven solutions or ideas!
I am in the process of rigging up an inexpensive roof rack and have built this for about 50 bucks. Pieces u seesticking out r just foam inserts for cushioning
20220625_121658.jpg

I use my 1969 FJ40 for fly fishing up into the mountains (rough 4x4 "roads"). I don't mind uncoupling my fly rods for travel but I prefer to not have to break them down all the way and put into their protective cases. Has anyone found or made a good solution (like interior roof clips, etc.) without having to drill holes into the side walls or roof? I am the original owner and have kept everything like it was in 1969 and perter to keep it that way. Thanks for any proven solutions or ideas!
Calling @rkymtnflyfisher

Original owner of a ‘69??? That’s awesome! :cheers:

I use a River Quiver from Riversmith located in Boulder, mounted up on some crossbars that I had fabbed up for my roof rack. Before I bought that I did some interior storage that was kind of janky, I hung the reel end from the rear view mirror with a short bungie cord, then I used another short bungie on the handle for the hatch to hold the other end of the rods, of course it only works with the hatch open. Which sucks tons of dust into the cab when running forest service roads.

Best method for interior storage would be a troopy, or putting them back in the case.

The rod vault solutions are only worth it if you travel from hole to hole a lot, or leave a rod or two rigged all the time for frequent stops.

20210724_213307.jpg
20210924_190427.jpg

I use my 1969 FJ40 for fly fishing up into the mountains (rough 4x4 "roads"). I don't mind uncoupling my fly rods for travel but I prefer to not have to break them down all the way and put into their protective cases. Has anyone found or made a good solution (like interior roof clips, etc.) without having to drill holes into the side walls or roof? I am the original owner and have kept everything like it was in 1969 and prefer to keep it that way. Thanks for any proven solutions or ideas!

Reminds me of the first car I ever bought, a second-hand 1961 VW Beetle. I lived in Colorado at the time. I was too cheap to buy any kind of ski rack, so I came up with an elaborate method to fit my (and a friend's) cross-country skis and poles inside the cab. Drove it all over Colorado and Utah with the skis inside at various times. Not particularly convenient or safe, but it worked and served its purpose at the time.

Good luck with fly rod solution.

@1911 I was ten years behind you… 1971 Super Beetle. Skis on the back but fly rods cased in the back seat for me.

The rod tubes (douche tubes, as they're known around here) are great, provided you use them enough. On my 40 I just rock the Sumo magnet setup on my hood and roof. Works just fine, though I can understand why they make some people nervous.

Douche tubes or not, they're pretty damn handy. I keep my rods whole in the garage, they get moved whole to the tubes (I have the Rod Vault on my 100), then whole to the drift boat. They are a little silly looking, and they're expensive, but I get really sick of breaking rods down and re-rigging multiple times a day when I'm on a fishing trip.

Douche tubes or not, they're pretty damn handy. I keep my rods whole in the garage, they get moved whole to the tubes (I have the Rod Vault on my 100), then whole to the drift boat. They are a little silly looking, and they're expensive, but I get really sick of breaking rods down and re-rigging multiple times a day when I'm on a fishing trip.
Sure heck of a lot better that the rear hatch slamming shut on a thousand dollar rod when you're out for a week long fishing trip, spare rods or not.

Yeah man. I'm actually a big fan of them. They allow me to go fishing much quicker between work and kids, etc. when I have mine on the roof. I have the OG...the name escapes me but it's a 15 year old 3 rod setup.

They're called Douche Tubes here because they seem to be a badge of honor of sorts amongst the covid-migration folks who just moved here and maybe want to look the part. But whatever, they are handy. Also, the mounts will fail (as designed) when you hit a garage door, allowing the housing to slide off and protect your rods. Ask me how I know.

But what do I know, I’m the dumb Texan stuck in the tree using an 8wt :)
^ Catching Steelhead Salmon. . .

Tight lines everyone !

Everywhere.

California, Texas, Washington, Oregon. Whomever is selling giant SUVs to s***ty, urban drivers is also telling them they have to have tacky vanity plates. It's quite the phenomenon.

We predicted that at least some of them would migrate again, come a hard winter. Unfortunately we haven't had one since COVID started and they think winters here are "quite enjoyable." They're all going to die.

tapatalk_1328871160.jpeg

Everywhere.

California, Texas, Washington, Oregon. Whomever is selling giant SUVs to s***ty, urban drivers is also telling them they have to have tacky vanity plates. It's quite the phenomenon.

We predicted that at least some of them would migrate again, come a hard winter. Unfortunately we haven't had one since COVID started and they think winters here are "quite enjoyable." They're all going to die.

View attachment 3046921
The Texans are the best of the four.

My $.02…as a former fly shop manager, I’ve seen more rods broken due to vehicular mishaps than anything else. I use to use (and still have in the garage) the original Rod Vault. Since I was fishing so much, it was nice to not have to break down and re-string rods all the time. Now, I prefer to keep them in rod-n-reel cases. Super stealthy, allows me to keep my reel on my rod, protects my rods BETTER than a Rod Vault, and adds about 5-7 minutes setup time. Plus, if I have to un-ass the vehicle for any reason, they’re easy to take with me.

One thing to consider is the long-term effect on your rod-especially your guides-from leaving them strung up in some sort of carrying system. Most people aren’t diligent about the use of ferrule wax on their rods. Seen more than a few “bros” come in with rods they can’t take apart after a season or two living in their Rod Vault…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom