Fly fishing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking of giving this a try, tired of losing spin cast lures to hungry logs and branches.....

So I know several of you are of the "avid" fly fisher types, any tips for a total noob?
I'll probably grab one of the beginner combo rod/reels at CT for $50 to get me going and keep it in the truck.

for lake fishing, a u-boat, waders and flippers will get you away from the shore so you can practice casting... and once you get tired of casting you can have a :beer: or two and troll your fly with a sinking line...

Riverside Fly and Tackle in PoCo, the owner's name is Garry, he is a very well experienced fly fisherman, a guide and an endless source of fishing info. I know when Robert and Sopel got me a rod they picked up one of the basic intro units he sells. Might be worth checking out. Buying a rod at Canadian tire is like buying a bike at Canadian tire, yes, you can get a cheap one that will work relatively well, but it will be a piece of crap and perform like it.
Then there is all the stuff to learn, how to tie the flies, all the little pieces involved in the the line, the cast itself, etc.
I didn't really get into it, will try again in the future, seems enjoyable enough.

Check my handle and then ask me if I fly fish. :D Then Ask me about equipment for said hobby.:grinpimp: If you are losing spinning gear you will lose just as much stuff fly fishing unless you change your approach.

I just practice in the front lawn (or a local park) with no hook attached. Aim for the base of a post or tree and practice landing the end there; walk around as you do to vary your distance.

I use hula hoops, I lay four or five around my lawn at different distances and cast to each of them. I then move so that I am casting into the wind if there is a wind so that I can practice that. Tighter loops are required when casting into the wind.
You must have a balance outfit, the line MUST match the rod. Some rods require a heavier line that what is written on the rod. Experimentation is some times required. Canada tire and Walmart specials are some of the hardest rods to cast.

Warning once you get hooked in to the flyfishing thing there is no ending it is like the Cruiser disease....trust me I have 1000 upon 1000's invested in fishing gear,boat and motor,pontoon river boat.float tubes,trolling rods,mooching rods,spinning rods,bait casting rods,Graphite fly rods of all weights , Spey rods , switch rods, light weight chest waders , neoprene waders for the cold,Hardy Silex reels , Hardy salmon reels and many Hardy fly reels , Ambassader levelwind reels , Shimano levelwind reels, down riggers , fish finders , fish smokers , fishing vests,tackle boxes for all occasions , fly tying desk for tying hundreds of various fly patterns......and several Land Cruiser to get me to those hot spots.

Last edited:
Don't get a Crappy Tire or Wal*Mart combo. You can go to a real fly shop and pick up an entry level Dragonfly rod for around $70 that casts a hell of a lot nicer than what's in the big box stores. I have a couple of cheapo reels that you can have if you want.

A 9' 6wt or 5wt rod that has a more progressive rather than a really stiff action would be something that you want to learn on. A 3M Scientific Anglers Headstart full float flyline is one of their least expensive lines, and is designed for beginners with a short head to allow you to feel the rod load and unload more easily. You'll need a sinking line too...but since most beginners use sinking lines to troll with, you can get away with skimping on this and buying that from the big box stores for around $20.

Muscle memory is also really difficult to change once established...and if you're learning on your own (or with friends) and learn poor casting habits, that might be more difficult to change later. Lots of fly shops offer casting lessons...they're usually around $50/h that's split into two 30 minute lessons. You'll probably need a couple of hours' worth on top of practicing on your own. The fly shop I used to work for (Michael & Young in Surrey) have some FFF certified casting instructors for around that rate. Ryan is really good.

It's addictive...just ask Speycaster. Nothing like flyfishing and Cruisers to empty one's wallet. :D Best of luck...and let me know if you want those reels.

For $300 you can get a nice sage package.

Nothing wrong with buying a TFO setup either

I'm not an avid fisherman by any stretch of the imagination. I used to do a lot of lake/creek fishing when I was much younger, and now just keep a cheapo casting rod in the truck with the same tacklebox I had when I was a kid (lots of ancient rusty triple barbed hook type lures etc), to use when the mood strikes me.
I have zero patience, which is not a good thing for fishing, but it is still fun at times.
So thanks for all the tips, I'll check out one of the local shops and see what starter gear they have.
Thanks for the offer on the reels Stone, I might hit you up on that if I run into you again.

Don't hesitate to, Jeff...I'm all over the place these days with units in three different hospitals (ARH, Ridge Meadows, CGH). I'm sure that we can find a spot somewhere in the middle to meet and hand off the reels. :)

Ask Greg B how long he's had his flyfishing setup for, and how many times he's used it? :D

Go lurk on Fly BC or better yet join. Check out the Kettle and Granby river drift postings to see a bunch of guys and girls having four fun days. My home rivers that I usually get a hundred days a year on.:D

I took a course with my dad just tried to fly fish again
Think I forgot most of it in 30
Years lol
The wall mart rod probably didn't help either

I second riverside fly and tackle. I have one of Their "house" rods and its by my favorite of the 5 I own. I think it was only $50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom