Fluid Leak on rear of engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

on the terminal end of the NSS itself, not the connector, I placed my probes where the "big solenoid" wires go. I placed the copper "bridge" across the appropriate contacts and measured the continuity. I'll do again once everything is buttoned back up.

still have an issue with starting. I measured 11.6V at the end of the solenoid wire while I measured 12.5V between battery posts. I'll start diagnosing the circuit, but may just go the relay route. The ignition switch is $100 and if the problem is a wire, it may be really difficult to change out with toyota pins being somewhat annoying....

Making the jumper is rather difficult. Not sure how some people are doing it, but it is a tight squeeze to get back into that connector. But, the starter cranks every time.

My thought was just pull the 2 larger wires out like you had in your picture and electrical tape them together temporarily. But agreed it's not an easy spot to get to...

Well, I can pull that connector off like a champ and depin it in no time. I taped the 2 large wires together and the truck starts fine. Did my quick driving lap and no let it heat soak which is what causes the issue in the past and it starts no problem. I'll try in the heat of the day and see if I can get it to repeat. Otherwise, I guess I'm ordering a new NSS.

Did you stretch the springs out slightly to make the copper contacts push harder onto the rails? NSS is somewhat expensive which is why I tried my best to salvage it.

Did you stretch the springs out slightly to make the copper contacts push harder onto the rails? NSS is somewhat expensive which is why I tried my best to salvage it.

Yes on the springs. And it ohms out at 0.1 once i put everything back together. My issue does seem to be heat related....starts after it hasn't been running for a while, but won't after it's hot. I'm going to try it for the next couple days and see if i can get the same behavior. Then plug back into my nss to see if the problem rears its head again going thru the nss.

I'm not totally convinced it is the nss right now, but today was the first time it started every time I turned the key.

Yeah I see, sounds like you're on the right track. Try it for an extended period with NSS bypassed and see what happens. Could potentially be a combination of things that stack up to result in the starter solenoid not getting enough current.

Well...I've put about 1200 miles on the rig since I bypassed the NSS. I was pretty convinced that was the issue and have since replaced the part.

20200905_062621.jpg

It's been about a week since I got the NSS installed and I was about to come here and dance my jig that I had solved the problem. Then last night I had the same thing happen. I had to pop the hood and sit in the parking lot for 50 mins until the temps cooled down.

After some PMs and suggestions that I install a relay, I bit the bullet today. I had most of the stuff, including the crazy sleeving which I didn't plan for. So, $10 total and I have some extra heat shrink tubing (the good stuff with the glue in it). only had a 40a relay and put a 30a fuse in. I know photoman's thread on the subject said a 50a, but I have extra fuses :) So far, so good.

20200916_133200.jpg

I also installed a metripack connector right near the battery terminal and made a little jumper I can plug in to activate the relay in case there isn't enough juice running through the NSS. I tested it and everything runs like a charm (and the jumper starts the vehicle as well.

20200916_142923.jpg

Here's to hoping this puts this issue to rest!!!

Put another 700 miles on the truck this weekend in the utah desert. No issues with my starter relay so far. Airinh down the tires made for a nicer ride too....

20200919_131056.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom