fluid filmers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I noticed the smell for a few weeks, maybe a little longer. It didn't bother me as I didn't find it to be that strong but you could tell it smelled a little different. I think it's worse if you get it on surfaces that get hot like the exhaust.

I smelled my spray job for 3-4 months. I found it comforting to know there was a coating protecting my Land Cruiser from the ravages of rust.

Spray everything except stuff that gets really hot exhaust etc

It will burn off and you are just wasting fluid film

I have sprayed it in doors etc and my wife hasn’t complained about the smell

I don’t mind the smell and only notice it for a week or so after. I also live on a dirt road that may cause it to be coated minimizing the smell..

Great stuff and my trucks are really aging well despite heavy use in salt treated environments

John

Definitely interested in hearing your feedback on that Oil Medics product. :cheers:

I had my '11 sprayed last Fall, they really did a nice job. I had dropped the spare before dropping it off so they could get up above it. They promised no odor and no drips, but I did smell it when I came out into the garage every morning for about 2 weeks, and had to mop up maybe 2 dozen drips in a few days. No big deal. The stuff "cured" really thick and gooey, I was happy with the results, but not sure I want to do any suspension work after the process.

Does the spray need to be kept away from the brakes? I understand that the rotors are covered from the direction the film will be sprayed from, but is there a need to protect them more than that?

Does the spray need to be kept away from the brakes? I understand that the rotors are covered from the direction the film will be sprayed from, but is there a need to protect them more than that?

Nope

And start enjoying that musky aroma! :D

(Actually I guess it smells more like sheep sebum than musk, but yeah.)

If you don't want to spray it yourself, the Fluid Film website has a locator for shops that will spray it for you.
Sheep fat essentially. Beauty of FF is you don't even need to powerwash/degrease the underbody, cause it IS (good) grease

I would recommend using Salt Away at least, during and after winter, then spray FF.

Took a pic of the lip of the fender arch, I think it’s not even paint, just freaking bare metal with rust spots! What the heck.

BFA70DAE-E4FE-45EB-ADC3-19A59DA54E2D.jpeg

03B0FD4F-EB5E-411D-8F7B-6ED6727DA647.jpeg

4FE57FDE-8D61-40C1-9458-375950A01F33.jpeg

9D384F16-B2F4-4591-97D3-1498867E4829.jpeg

I love the way Fluid Film smells, smells like mod money to me. That being said, I am spraying again this fall, if you have my cell text me, if not message me here and I’ll get you sorted out. No big meet up dates set as of now (I was sore for 2 days after rolling under and spraying all those trucks). If you’re in Chicagoland come out out to my place for a beer and some rustproofing....

I love the way Fluid Film smells, smells like mod money to me. That being said, I am spraying again this fall, if you have my cell text me, if not message me here and I’ll get you sorted out. No big meet up dates set as of now (I was sore for 2 days after rolling under and spraying all those trucks). If you’re in Chicagoland come out out to my place for a beer and some rustproofing....
Your like a rust prevention angel. :)

Maybe this belongs to the 100 series thread, but I can't help but notice a pattern. The upper tailgate of the 100 series LC and LX tend to have spot rust/bubble near the latch, sometimes (more rare) just below the glass. Last say the door latch spot rust, how does it happen? My theory is the latch assembly is an "inserted" unit and allows moisture to creep up and sit on the inner surface of the gate. Therefore, maybe once in a while someone should removve the assembly, check for rust and use Corroseal and fluid film.

So I need advice. Just bought my '10 LC and yes, it had rust underneath from being in PA for 5 of the last 8 years. Had mechanic inspect before I bought and he described as medium.....So, now that I have it and live in a snow free zone mostly, should I go ahead and FF it...or try and treat the rust with POR 15 or Saltaway before applying the FF? I plan on keeping this rig as my DD for the next 5-7 years..perhaps longer. Thanks....john

@LCMemphis, If you plan on keeping a truck until it's 15 years old and it lived the first 5 years of its life in salt, I would take the time to treat what's there as best you can prior to Fluid Film. On my 100, I regularly got under it and scraped and wire brushed visible rust and liberally sprayed things with Rustoleum Rust Reformer. Then Fluid Film. That truck looked pretty good when I sold it, despite living in IL and MI for 12 years. If you have medium rust now, Salt Away won't help rust that's already there and I've found POR15 to be hard to use. And, keep in mind that once you use Fluid Film it's not possible to use other rust treatment like Rust Reformer because the Fluid Film leaves a sticky coating.

Is FF safe for windshield seal rubber?/weather strip rubber?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom