fluctuation in rpm with turn signal on? WTF? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Never had this happen before, but yesterday with the AC on i was stopped at a stop light turning left. Had the left blinker on and noticed the rpms would ramp up and drop down (very slightly, not even a ticks worth) in sink with the turn signal. Then after a minute it stopped. Maybe alternator going bad?

concretejungle said:
Never had this happen before, but yesterday with the AC on i was stopped at a stop light turning left. Had the left blinker on and noticed the rpms would ramp up and drop down (very slightly, not even a ticks worth) in sink with the turn signal. Then after a minute it stopped. Maybe alternator going bad?

sorry to revive an old thread, but did you ever figure out what this problem was-I've been getting the same problem, but not just with the turn signals its with everything electrical on my rig-windows, lights, door locks, everytime I operate something I get a upward tick on my rpms, as well as an downward tick on my alt. gauge.

I contributed to the same topic thread a lot longer back. Still have not answers but another idea. I can see the A/C causing the tach to move...but with the turn signals...I wonder it if is just electrical and has nothing to really do with the engine being under more load.

TX_TLC said:
I contributed to the same topic thread a lot longer back. Still have not answers but another idea. I can see the A/C causing the tach to move...but with the turn signals...I wonder it if is just electrical and has nothing to really do with the engine being under more load.

I think it is electrical now that I think about it, because these symptoms started when I installed my yellow top.

Biff said:
I think it is electrical now that, because these symptoms started when I installed my yellow top.

Hmm very interesting. What battery did you have before?

TX_TLC said:
Hmm very interesting. What battery did you have before?

A duralast, the PO had it for a few years- I killed it when I turned on my newly installed Lightforces. I still haven't tried changing the batteries to see if it is the yellow top.

Mine does it without the a/c on, no optima. Do you have an arb or rear tire carrier bumper that has extra turn signals? My arb front and tjm rear bumpers have turn signals in them. I thought it might be from having the brake on, and 4 turn signals going.

Mine has stopped doing this since i posted this thread. It only did it a few times. I have no idea.

I have had this symptom for some time now through two types of batts. I do not think this is really related to the batt at all. I think it is just a super sensitive gauge showing some real fluctuations in voltages as voltage drawing devices such as blinkers, wipers, etc oscillate. I will post the thread that I started some time ago and where Robbie and Raven offered some super advice. Since that time the problem has neither gotten worse or better. HTH.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=21667

cruiser ken said:
Mine does it without the a/c on, no optima. Do you have an arb or rear tire carrier bumper that has extra turn signals? My arb front and tjm rear bumpers have turn signals in them. I thought it might be from having the brake on, and 4 turn signals going.

Have an ARB with turn signals, thought it was that but after some test it wasn't.

turbocruiser said:
I have had this symptom for some time now through two types of batts. I do not think this is really related to the batt at all. I think it is just a super sensitive gauge showing some real fluctuations in voltages as voltage drawing devices such as blinkers, wipers, etc oscillate. I will post the thread that I started some time ago and where Robbie and Raven offered some super advice. Since that time the problem has neither gotten worse or better. HTH.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=21667

Thats intersteing, I didn't have this problem until I changed bats. Another thing that happens is that every once in a while I blow the turn signal fuse.

Concrete;

I would check the body grounds. Particularly the ground that comes off the stock battery set up; neg cable, has a short #10 lead to the left fender. See what they look like, clean them up and see what happens. I have found lots of corrosion on my '94 and I live in a dry climate.

dfm

My battery gauge goes up and down when I have a turn signal on but thats about it. Try charging the battery.

Well here 12 years later. I have the problem and found a bad ground going into my fuse box. I also squeezed on all the main harness electrical connectors to ensure better connection. The union by fuse box and poof a ground fell off busting like powder. Gonna cut and expose some new fresh wire and should be good.

Well here 12 years later. I have the problem and found a bad ground going into my fuse box. I also squeezed on all the main harness electrical connectors to ensure better connection. The union by fuse box and poof a ground fell off busting like powder. Gonna cut and expose some new fresh wire and should be good.

EXCELLENT JOB! For searching!

We don;t mind reviving old threads, especially when they help!

Congratulations and WELCOME!

Ground going into your fuse box???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom