Flowmaster Quality & Sound. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an appointment scheduled with a great exhaust shop here in MA. The guy is going to put a FLOWMASTER exhaust on my rig.

I just wanted to inquire about everyone's experience with flowmaster's. Quality..etc. benefits/drawbacks, etc.

Also, how do they sound? Didnt someone post a FLOWMASTER .wav file on this forum a while back (i cant locate it if they did).

Later,
-Joe M. - :p

Joe,

I believe that was Keep. It was on the SOR forum. Go to the archives at the top and search.

Dan.

Do you know what model you are going to get? They make several, and I think each has its own sound. I was considering the "50 Series SUV Performance" muffler.

There was a thread back in April or May. I believe there were two mudders that have done it. One used the SUV Flowmaster and was happy with it.

[quote author=- S.A. - link=board=2;threadid=4720;start=msg35636#msg35636 date=1062008467]
I have an appointment scheduled with a great exhaust shop here in MA. The guy is going to put a FLOWMASTER exhaust on my rig.

I just wanted to inquire about everyone's experience with flowmaster's. Quality..etc. benefits/drawbacks, etc.

Also, how do they sound? Didnt someone post a FLOWMASTER .wav file on this forum a while back (i cant locate it if they did).

Later,
-Joe M. - :p

[/quote]
Dude who and where is this exhaust shop located? I live in Mass also and would like to know.

Our 80 has a 2.5" system on it. The muffler gave it up just today, had a local shop (Salt Lake City) put on a Magnaflow muffler. Nice sound, no big notice in perfomance gains, $120 installed.

Whats up..

Thanks for the SOR info...Keep's .wav file of his flowmaster sounded good! I am excited! Not sure about which muffler model...guess I should ask! 8)

This is the setup/alignment order that i am leaning towards and price quoted.

<engine..using stock exhaust manifold>
1. Flow master muffler..not sure which model
2. stock o2 sensor/ new high flow cat / 2nd stock o2 sensor
3. "Y" pipe out of the cat
4. False dual pipes ( i like the look! :D)
5. Polished Tips.

$415 installed for entire system.

Quality Muffler & Brake
82 May Street, Worcester, MA
508-752-2909
Matt Dumas

I was reffered to Matt D. by 2 friends whose rigs he worked on. They were 100% happy with his work. So, based on that reccomendation.. I went to Matt's shop today to get the quote..the guy is booked solid for 1 1/2 weeks. It seems good to me that he is so busy.. :D BUT bad for me because I have to wait for my new exhaust :(

The price quote doesnt seem unreasonable. Does the $$ sound right for the type of setup i am looking at? (this is my first exhaust system replacement..so i have no idea what is fair).

later..
Joe M.

I have a flowmaster 50 series delta flow on my 80. Great sound. I hollowd out one of my cats and it has a nice smooth growl to it. A little bit louder but not annoying or anything. I'd do it again.

-Bryan

I have a 2.5" cat back with a flowmaster (unsure of model) on my 91 with a Celica intake and the biggest K&N I could find.

Has a nice manly growl and improved my "little tiger" of an engine to be somewhat respectable off the line and up hills!

It made my 80 feel less like a go-cart hehe

[quote author=Mr.Bryan link=board=2;threadid=4720;start=msg35811#msg35811 date=1062042143]
I have a flowmaster 50 series delta flow on my 80. Great sound. I hollowd out one of my cats and it has a nice smooth growl to it. A little bit louder but not annoying or anything. I'd do it again.

-Bryan
[/quote]
Why just one? Are yours in line or side by side?
kurt

I put on a Borla a few weeks ago. Wouldn't know how it rates in the ear department and personally could care less. But it is stainless, bolt on with factory mounts and only 389.00 at performance products. It is a cat back system and has the flange for the second oxygen sensor with gasket and hardware. It's a 2 piece setup with a flange setup at the joint just as the factory is. You would need a new Cat/Borla gasket as well as new rubber mounts as they are probably going to break coming out. The additional OEM hardware was about 70.00.

What about where the exhaust wraps around the frame? I crushed mine. I need an exhaust that corrects this problem.

what about Cat's. Do you have to have one? I have an extra 50 series flowmaster kicking around and i just want to have it put on but do away with the cat so i can start my sliders. ....any input?

Wrench,
The borla follows the same route as the factory so that issue would still be there. I would imagine you could cut the pipe at that point and slip a larger thicker walled pipe over it and weld it on for better crush protection.

Sicko,

The 95-97 exhaust uses an oxygen sensor in front of and one behind the cats. The computer looks for different readings from the two. If you have no cats you have no difference in the readings. This throws a code and may have an effect on engine performance. Somebody out there may have figured a way to "fool" the sensors, I don't recall hearing of that being pulled off.

Dan.

so i have to re-do my whole exhaust anyways for my sliders/performance so can i just replace the 2 stock CATs with one highflow cat and have the sensors re-installed? i definetly dont want the borla route; this is a trail rig and i need to tuck everything up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom