Flop or Rollover angle, how far can I go? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Most of us have the goofy little angle gage that allows us to see if we are about to rollover or are on a sidehill at 25 degrees, etc. On a stock FJ40 what is the angle of flop before you go? When you are inside driving when you hit 20 degrees it feels pretty steep. If you are lifted 4" how much worse is it? Anyone experience a sideways rollover going slow and at what angle does it flop?

That should depend on a whole host of different things like lift, tires, hard top on or off, etc. There should be a factory spec out there though.

hard top/soft top/roof rack

It also depends on how fast you get there..

Lots of variables..

Generally, your pucker will make you stop before you roll. Unless Nolen is spotting...

About 5 degree's north of this. lol

DSC02944.jpg

But you have asked a damn good question that I have yet to see anyone answer

[followed by Poser typing big letters]
[Poser typing link in very small letters]

Last edited:
When a vertical line through the point where the gearstick meets the floor goes outside of the track width its time to be careful. I've had mine off the inclinometer dial at 30 degrees, it feels bad, but get out and rock it, stable as.. I've been over to about 45 driving.. I had a parts 40 with no roof, I put it on its side to get the TC out, as I carefully pushed it over with the tractor I estimate that it flopped at about 70 degrees..

Depends on how low the centre of gravity is on your 40 but if you're not rushing things 45 degrees usually ok. That being said I've got a mate who can roll his on level ground
DSC00252.jpg
GetAttachment.jpg
JAMIESON 08 41.jpg

Found out last summer. Angle was fairly steep (steeper than it looks in the first two photos), but I was OK until the DS tire kissed the tree on that side. The third photo, showing us pulling wire to retrieve one of the guys that went off-track to the right just a few yards before I flopped, gives a better view of the angle.
toddflip.jpg
todd_strap.jpg
gary1.jpg

Rimrock has some great offcamber stuff!

Saw a LR Discovery flop once from a dead standstill. It slid about 6 inches to the passengers side and went right over. I didn't even seem to be at much of an angle when it all happened.:doh:

Last edited:
Thats nothing, my driveway is steeper than that..

That's the point. I was good until I made almost imperceptible tire contact with the tree on the uphill side. Boom, over she went.

Inclinometers are of little value. Every situation is different and you won't be checking the angle when you start to go over.

I've been at 35 degrees on a side slope as verified by my inclinometer. That was with the top and doors off.

I almost rolled my 40 a year ago. I was a bit too busy to check the inclinometer. It was up on two wheels, teetering. I leaned my body mass over the right, and the truck slowly came over then slammed down. I have a rotating pintle hitch and a rotating lunette on my jeep trailer. It takes a lot of force to move these, like needing a medium length crowbar. We noticed the angle on both added up to 45 degrees, and it is likely the mass of the trailer helped keep the 40 from flopping over. We also noticed that there was a narrow band of contact on the right tires - it was riding on the sidewall lugs. The tread was not touching the ground at that point, according to witnesses. My guess is 40 degrees is the point where you are in danger of tipping over, and I only got to 45 degrees because the trailer mass was holding the FJ40 back.

DetourAlmostFlippedBarlowTrail.jpg

That slope behind the FJ40 is a lot steeper than it looks.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/231970-almost-flipped-fj40.html

I,m sure i read some where on here that the roll over point was 67 degrees. That would be for a standard 40 no doubt. As others have said though that would change with any lift, or even if you had a lot of weight on a roof rack, which would alter the center of gravity.

inclometer

I think another issue is going along fine near the limit and a sudden crumble of the edge or side slide and you are over ---still it is nice to know info on the limits

It depends on a lot of things and the speed you are traveling at amplifies things. You may roll on a minor side hill if your down hill wheel suddenly drops in a hole, or your uphill wheel hits a bump, and momentum takes you over. The same dip at a slower speed wouldn't even be felt. Lucklily I've only had one slow roll.

not a roll
WH1-Tirelift.jpg

a roll
Rollover-LC.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom