1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

floor tile question

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by saint60, Aug 16, 2005.

1. saint60

saint60

what is the advantage to using mortar rather than liquid nails when layinng ceramic floor tile. i can see if you had a wavy subfloor you can use the mortar to float the tiles, but if you have a level subfloor is it permissible to use liquid nails? i just got done using mortar to do the entry way to my house, but in hind sight it seems it would have been easier to use liquid nails. just wondering. :cheers:

2. archie

archie

Liquid nails would leave more voids underneath the tile making it more suseptible to crack under heavy loads (moving fridge with dolly). Also any drop of a heavy tool would easily crack it. The motar, solidly and evenly applied , would dissipate those forces.
    I think the same amount fo liquid nails would probably cost more than motar. I would use liquid nails only if I was doing a small patch up job, but if you have to replace the tile again I think that liquid nails would be much harder to remove than motar (using chisel). Liquid nails is also harder to clean off of tools.
    Don't forget the underlayment.

3. Herky

Herky

What are you putting it on? Directly over a wood subfloor????

4. saint60

saint60

no it's done. i used mortar. i was just curious as to why mortar was used. it's a pain. anyway-the even pressure thing makes sense.

5. Jman

Jman

Ceramic tiles, and the grout between them, cannot tolerate deflection. Mortar provides a more stable base. With liquid nails, the adhesive will give under load and, eventually, the joints and tiles will crack.

6. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

Hopefully you didn't do that otherwise expect loose tiles in your future.

7. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

Yup what they said above. The advantage of a good polymer based thinset is that it will also allow for better expansion and contraction without cracking grout lines & tiles.

If ever placing tiles on an area with alot of movement or just to ensure crack free tile consider a crack isolation membrane system. Easy to put down and great insurance from future headaches.

Lots of different manufacturers & all are very good.
    These three manufacturers are the most common & widely available on the market.

http://www.mapei.com/MapeiAmericas/en/index.htm Available through Lowes, and most tile distributors

http://www.laticrete.com/ Available through tile distributors.

http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/welcome.aspx Available through Home Depot and tile distributors.

I like Customs, but exclusively use Mapei because I've been through their factory training program. Love Mapei.

Funny thing is I hate tile work. It's hard on the knees and back.

8. wob

wob

Man, that is an understatement. I will NEVER do tile work again.