floor shift kit??? 3" shackles?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Column shift is retro cool, just a little finiky to drive. I would save your $$ and get the truck in good running order and drive it a bit before deciding on direction. You may find that you just don't like how tall first gear is, especially after you get some bigger rubber on there. Soooooo, you may just decide to go directly into a 4 speed, in which case you will have wasted time and $$ on the floorshift for the 3 speed, not to mention having cut a hole in your tranny hump that is not the same for the 4 speed.

As far as the shackles go, waste of $$ on 40 year old springs. The shackles will just push the springs down, not lift the vehicle. Start looking at lift kits in the FS section, Ebay, or the Cruiser vendors that hang out here.;)

Best

Mark

yeah man,
I have the three on the tree as well, mine's a 1970 cruiser, but i'm going to leave the three in there until i can get a 5 spd tranny...
We'll have to see tho, may totally hate the three spd, but it is retro!
besta luck

If you do have to change it to floorshift it's not a big deal. You need the trans. top cover, shifter, and small parts from a later model 3-speed.

When I did our '65 it was mostly because the linkage from the column had suffered too many previous 'fixes' to make it work without periodic jamming between gears.

I think SOR still sells a kit to convert from column to floor for something like $250.+ ....you don't need to buy that if you find a trans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom