Flooding on angles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The post about the flying needle valve got me thinking about a recent problem.

My cruiser will sometimes flood when it gets at very extreme vertical angles. Not average driving, just on that occasional super steep obstacle. Is this strictly a float issue? The carb is an old small window, single barrell D40 aisin without any solenoids. Using FSM specs for the float, fuel maybe goes 1/4 of the way up the sight glass. I was told to instead adjust it to where the fuel will go 1/2 way up the sight glass, so this is the way it is currently setup. Quite a bit out of specs. Is this my problemo, or is near vertical an inherent problem for this model carb?

Send a pm to fj40jim. He can answer your question, if anybody can. Usually, aisin carbs are pretty good at angles. I'm not too sure about the old single-barrel carbs, though. But any carb has trouble with extreme angles. At some point, you need fuel injection to run well at extreme angles.

I was able to replace my needle and seat with one that has a heavy spring.That solved my problem.However this is on a Holley carb.Jim C. should certainly be able to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom